Beginners and Beyond

It's the Monday Penguins! (Read 14 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, all!!  I'm getting rained on again today, but weather.com says I'll have sun this afternoon.  Or sun-ish, or lack of rain, at least.  Here's hoping!  I'm planning on a bike ride if it's not wet when I get home.  Woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

HopesMom, hope you don't get rained on as promised.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

We finally got some sun, but the forecast calls for afternoon thunderstorms, so this may not last.  It's beautiful though, and windy, and warm. I'll do some miles after we give Ben his 3 miles.

HM - I hope you get to do your bike ride.

Damaris - have fun with the six this evening. . No Pilates?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, aww, I'm so sorry you were in pain during your race.    Nice job on sticking with it and avoiding the PW!

Hopesmom, thanks for starting us off; have a great day whatever the weather turns out to be.

Damaris & Ginny, enjoy your running!

AFM, 6.4 done this morning, with intervals.

I registered for another last-minute race this morning (well, anything with less than a week to go is last-minute to me).  22 people from my running club are traveling to Coeur d'Alene this weekend.  I've been holding plane tickets and hotel reservations since October but Bill and I couldn't decided if we were going! (the plane tickets were on points so I could still cancel & get my points back). Anyway we just decided this weekend that we're going, so I registered for the HM.  But I had to pay the late registration $$ AND I don't get a t-shirt.   I hope it's an ugly shirt, haha!  I don't have a goal for this race because I'm also registered for another HM 6 days later that I care more about. So I'll treat this as an easy long run and a fun weekend away with dh and friends.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning HsM, Docket, Bri and Ginny.

Post race SRD. What's good to put on chafed skin?

Have a great week.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good morning HsM, Docket, Bri and Ginny.

Have a great week.

I use a cream that is also used for dermatitis.  Usually takes away any burning or pain from chafing very quickly.  It's a ritual my husband does to me when we land back home after a marathon, LOL.  "where do you need it?"

Damaris

Brilliant

I use Penaten, which is a German diaper rash cream that you can buy on Amazon (not sure where else, but probably any US-available diaper-rash cream would work too). It's very protective.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks D and Bri.

Singer who runs a smidge

Aquaphor works well too.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Aquaphor works well too.

Thanks.  I'll put it on myself... LOL

GinnyinPA

Jerry - When hiking, we used a product made for sunburn with aloe and Lidocaine. It stings at first, then soothes and heals the chafed spot very quickly.

Brilliant - What fun, heading out for a spontaneous trip away.  Coeur d'Alene is a pretty area, and you could run into snow still.  Going with a group should be a lot of fun, no matter how the race itself goes.

I raced a thunderstorm and managed 6 flat easy miles in town before anything hit. Black skies to the north, black clouds to the south, but I was able to get home completely dry.  Jim said that I missed a good hailstorm at home.  I'm glad I drove to town.