Beginners and Beyond

TuesdayLIES - Can you say Avascular Necrosis of the 3rd metatarsal head? Say it to a runner, if they smack you, you said it right. (Read 39 times)

onemile

Yeah I can't see you volunteering for 8 x 1k, unless it was at HMP. Big grin

I did okay with the book and on my own but there were a couple of workouts in Daniels where I was like I'm not doing that stupid shit. 👎

Right. I would do the standard 5x1k. And then Addie always gives me less recovery than I want. Like I would take an equal time recovery but Addie would give me 90 seconds.  Or she would make my recovery be 'moderate pace'. Like this stupid workout I have for Saturday 

Cyberic

I was kidding about the "Could be worse..."

I'm actually thinking about a coach. But dunno if I'll do it because of the $50/month or so.

If I would have had 6x1200 to do instead of the 4x1000 that I did, I would have done them slower, that's all. I don't think I'm a slacker, but having a coach would probably push me some. My guess is that a coach would have me do more quality.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like having a coach because otherwise, I would take too many days off, not push on certain workouts and find an excuse.  With a coach, I better have a real excuse if I'm going to shorten a run, etc.

Damaris

onemile

If I would have had 6x1200 to do instead of the 4x1000 that I did, I would have done them slower

Of course you would but the question is which workout would you choose to do and which one do you need?

Maybe they are the same? But I'm not sure for me they would be...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would choose none, LOL.

Damaris

Runshortii

PR - That sucks Sad Hopefully you can get into the ortho soon and get some answers.

How much do you guys pay for coaching? I've pretty much just always done my own thing, but when I start marathon training (assuming I don't blow out my IT band like last year) I've thought about it, because I don't really like any of the canned plans I've looked at it. The higdon plans just don't seem like they prepare you enough and I don't like how much percentage of your total mpw is taken up by the long run (that's when I get injured) Although I suppose I could just add mid week miles.  I own the pfitz book and like the 18/55 plan, but I think that's too advanced for me.

I ran 8. 1 mile w.u, 6 mile tempo @ 7:44 pace and a 1 mile c.d.

No more marathons

I've done it all and there really is no difference in being told to run it, reading it from a book or online, or making it up as you go along. There is cost factor as it relates to disposable income but that's an individual thing.

I am a good plan follower. If it was on a plan that I had decided to use, I would do it.  But I'm not a 'making it up as you go along' person because I think I would skip out on the hardest workouts and tend to go with the workouts that play to my strengths.

In my case, of the three scenarios (canned plan, self made plan, coaches plan) the first two, from experience, end in lots of FTS, I'm going to take it easy today, or not doing 6 of that, I'll do 3 or 4.  Since I started using Maggie the only workouts I've missed were easy runs because of travel.  I know it's all in the mind, but isn't that much of what we do?

Take for instance today's plan - it called for a 10K or so paced mile, followed by 6 X 1 minute hills.  I hate hills.  There is no way I would ever inflict this type of workout on myself.  And if a Pfitz plan called for it I would most likely stop at 3 or 4.  But I did it.

And while we're at it - I really love Strava's grade adjusted pace (GAP).  It says all those slow ass trudges up that 13% grade were really the equivalent of much faster runs.  It's all mind games.

MTA - PR that really really sux.  Let's hope for a misdiagnosis.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

Ran another easy 4.

No more marathons

I ran 7, and almost felt human.

There is a crap ton of quality on my schedule this week (including 8 x 100 strides today that I did not do) and I might just bypass it all and run easy instead. 

We'll see....

LOL - that's just the variety to mix up an easy run - so you don't fall asleep during the workout.

#cough#wimp

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

Of course you would but the question is which workout would you choose to do and which one do you need?

Maybe they are the same? But I'm not sure for me they would be...

I think many coaches wouldn't know any better than me which one I need. But you have a good point, and I obviously don't know the answer.

Typically I run a faster (5K-ish or faster) workout on Tuesdays, a 10k or a tad slower Tempo-Threshold workout on Thursdays. The rest of the time I run easy, or sometimes I'll throw in some MP miles or HMP stretches in one of my weekend runs.

I see the workouts you get from your coaches are funkier, but are they better? Maybe a little better.

As discussed many times before, it's more that you feel like someone is watching over your shoulder and will "judge" you if you cut corners. Plus it's an outside view of your training by someone hopefully more qualified than us.

To me it's only a matter of cash. Is the plus-value worth the $600/year?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Doctors must freaking hate the Google.

My doctor has a picture of this in her examination rooms.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

From the Internet.

I was kidding about the "Could be worse..."

I'm actually thinking about a coach. But dunno if I'll do it because of the $50/month or so.

If I would have had 6x1200 to do instead of the 4x1000 that I did, I would have done them slower, that's all. I don't think I'm a slacker, but having a coach would probably push me some. My guess is that a coach would have me do more quality.

In my case it's actually the opposite, ha. I'd probably be trying to brute-force my way through Pfitz 18/70 at this point and possibly end up broken, mine is currently having me do less hard stuff for the marathon since I'm inexperienced with both the race *and* this level of mileage. The volume is doing great things, though, and by my next cycle I'll be ready to run hard a little more often.

Cyberic

trying to brute-force my way through Pfitz 18/70 

Ouch. Every time I look attentively at that plan, I choke.

LRB

I didn't Google it, but necrosis is never good.  I hope the doctor has better news for you.

I did. I hope he gets someone who is familiar with runners, or at the very least specializes in athletic medicine.

LRB

In my case it's actually the opposite, ha. I'd probably be trying to brute-force my way through Pfitz 18/70 at this point and possibly end up broken, mine is currently having me do less hard stuff for the marathon since I'm inexperienced with both the race *and* this level of mileage. The volume is doing great things, though, and by my next cycle I'll be ready to run hard a little more often.

Excellent!

I don't have a coach in the traditional sense, like say Slymoon did where the coach was physically present at his workouts. I am basically paying for workouts, so it's not really a "coach" at all. It's just a term we use on the interwebz.