Beginners and Beyond

TuesdayLIES - Can you say Avascular Necrosis of the 3rd metatarsal head? Say it to a runner, if they smack you, you said it right. (Read 39 times)

onemile

Ouch. Every time I look attentively at that plan, I choke.

+1

onemile

I think many coaches wouldn't know any better than me which one I need. But you have a good point, and I obviously don't know the answer.

Typically I run a faster (5K-ish or faster) workout on Tuesdays, a 10k or a tad slower Tempo-Threshold workout on Thursdays. The rest of the time I run easy, or sometimes I'll throw in some MP miles or HMP stretches in one of my weekend runs.

I see the workouts you get from your coaches are funkier, but are they better? Maybe a little better.

As discussed many times before, it's more that you feel like someone is watching over your shoulder and will "judge" you if you cut corners. Plus it's an outside view of your training by someone hopefully more qualified than us.

To me it's only a matter of cash. Is the plus-value worth the $600/year?

I'm definitely not saying they are better.  What I'm saying is they are (sometimes) harder or different than what I would write for myself. But that's just me.

Is it worth $900 a year? I don't know. In a lot of ways that sounds stupid and ridiculous. Yet I am going on 2 years here..

onemile

I ran 7 miles and that puts my log over 15,000 miles 

onemile

PR - That sucks Sad Hopefully you can get into the ortho soon and get some answers.

How much do you guys pay for coaching? I've pretty much just always done my own thing, but when I start marathon training (assuming I don't blow out my IT band like last year) I've thought about it, because I don't really like any of the canned plans I've looked at it. The higdon plans just don't seem like they prepare you enough and I don't like how much percentage of your total mpw is taken up by the long run (that's when I get injured) Although I suppose I could just add mid week miles.  I own the pfitz book and like the 18/55 plan, but I think that's too advanced for me.

I ran 8. 1 mile w.u, 6 mile tempo @ 7:44 pace and a 1 mile c.d.

I used Higdon Intermediate for my 1st - I added some miles to a mid-week run. Felt plenty prepared

I used Hansons Advanced x2 for my 2nd and 3rd

Then I used a purchased McMillan plan

Now I am using the Hudson coaching service which costs $75/month

Cyberic

Runshortii, Hansons plan (in the book, not very expensive on Amazon) are exactly NOT long run based. It's often considered their trademark. I'm not saying you should use it, just that it's out there, in case you didn't know.

As always, the success of their plan depends on the individuals, but I've used their plan for my first (and third) marathon, and did good. By good I mean I managed to run the time that was expected considering the other races I had done (predictors).

Cyberic

Is it worth $900 a year? I don't know. In a lot of ways that sounds stupid and ridiculous. Yet I am going on 2 years here..

When I consider coaching, it's always by someone I could meet once in a while, at least. I understand a coach with the background and the team Addie had is hard to find locally, so that's a good point in choosing their services, but I'd want to meet the person periodically for some reason.

From the Internet.

When I consider coaching, it's always by someone I could meet once in a while, at least. I understand a coach with the background and the team Addie had is hard to find locally, so that's a good point in choosing their services, but I'd want to meet the person periodically for some reason.

And this is another thing I really like about my coach. I don't see him super often (though I will when I can go to track workouts all summer, since I won't be working!), but we always meet in person to talk about goal races and stuff before I start specific training, and we had a 20-minute phone conversation on Sunday to touch base/set priorities before I started peak mileage weeks for this cycle.

onemile

Would you hire a coach who has never run a marathon?  But is still a very experienced and accomplished runner

I don't really have any desire for any in-person interaction

Cyberic

Would you hire a coach who has never run a marathon?  But is still a very experienced and accomplished runner

Hmmmm, things are never perfectly black or white, but I'd say my coach would need to be a marathoner, been one for long, and one of a much higher level and experience than me.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The dogs and I got in 3.6 miles this evening, Dorian rode in the stroller.

Image may contain: dog and outdoor

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

Ouch. Every time I look attentively at that plan, I choke.

Please. You could breeze through it.

Dave

DavePNW

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I associate coaching with sports as a kid, so it's not something I want to revisit as an adult.

That said, I think someone can be a good coach without being an accomplished runner (think football, how many rings does Belichick have and he never played pro football). I would think it's more important to find someone who is willing to individualize training for you based on your goals/progress/etc. And makes changes based on how things are going.

Cyberic

I associate coaching with sports as a kid, so it's not something I want to revisit as an adult.

That said, I think someone can be a good coach without being an accomplished runner (think football, how many rings does Belichick have and he never played pro football). I would think it's more important to find someone who is willing to individualize training for you based on your goals/progress/etc. And makes changes based on how things are going.

You're right. But I'm thinking I'd keep doubting the coach's decisions if he was a less accomplished runner. Unless he (could be she) has a nice resume of athletes he coached who did very good. That would be good too.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Exhausting day, but I ran 3 more with hubby tonight.

Damaris