Beginners and Beyond

Bad Math TuesDAILIES (Read 39 times)

LRB

I slogged for 6.37 miles. I intended 6 (3 out and 3 back) but took a detour behind a high school to see if the track was open (I live in a new hood). That took .87 miles but I couldn't figure out how to add/deduct it to the remainder of my route to get an even 6. 

#idiot

So what'd you do/gonna do?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I rode 32 warm miles.  High 50s this morning, headed to near 80.  Then, back down to near freezing the next couple of mornings.  Whatever.

Have .great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 9 miles tonight and I will need them after the loss I'm going to get in court covering for a coworker that is in the hospital (why do I always get losing battles to cover, ha?)

Damaris

delicate flower

Hiya friends!  I swam 2600 yards before work, although I felt more like flailing giraffe than a swimmer.  Got a bike workout to do later.   

took a detour behind a high school to see if the track was open (I live in a new hood).

So was the track open or not, omg.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

10K on the AlterG, swimming tonight if I don't pass out first because my body seems to be experiencing jet lag even though I haven't actually gone anywhere.

I had my annual physical today.  You know how people always complain that their doctor doesn't spend enough time with them?  I have the opposite problem.  I'm just here because my insurance is paying for this and I'm not, we don't need to make a whole production out of it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

sdWhiskers

5 easy miles this morning. Have I mentioned that I'm so over running in the dark? At least it's warm.

Over the past few weeks, I've seen my HR finally start coming down during easy runs. I've been wearing the HR monitor for over a year now and usually just look at it afterwards. Everyone says when you run more this is what happens but it's nice to finally see that. DH (who is an RN) has been horrified on multiple occasions at my quite high HR.

sdWhiskers

So was the track open or not, omg.

If it was my neighborhood, the answer would be NEVER

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Over the past few weeks, I've seen my HR finally start coming down during easy runs. I've been wearing the HR monitor for over a year now and usually just look at it afterwards. Everyone says when you run more this is what happens but it's nice to finally see that. DH (who is an RN) has been horrified on multiple occasions at my quite high HR.

That's good news!  But a couple of things to note.  If your HR seems too high at what feels like easy pace, make sure it's not cadence lock.  This is a frequent issue with the HRM.  Second (and this is just my two cents), I'm ok with a higher than normal AvgHR at easy effort but up to a point (perhaps a few weeks or months until you get that base established).  After that, if it's higher than 75% MaxHR (give or take a few), then you're still running the easy runs too fast.  You'll short change your aerobic development potential if you continue to do this.  But still, I'm happy to see your improvement.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

sdWhiskers

That's good news!  But a couple of things to note.  If your HR seems too high at what feels like easy pace, make sure it's not cadence lock.  This is a frequent issue with the HRM.  Second (and this is just my two cents), I'm ok with a higher than normal AvgHR at easy effort but up to a point (perhaps a few weeks or months until you get that base established).  After that, if it's higher than 75% MaxHR (give or take a few), then you're still running the easy runs too fast.  You'll short change your aerobic development potential if you continue to do this.  But still, I'm happy to see your improvement.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I have the Scosche armband so no cadence lock. It's less about the actual numbers for me and more the trend. For a maxHR, I use the highest number that I've seen which is 205 (from my 5K PR last year, as well as a workout a few months ago). My easy pace (10:20-11:00) has finally gone from high 150's to high 140's. I feel fitter and it's nice to see that reflected in HR. The only time that easy pace range is not conversational is when I'm also pushing my 5 year old in the stroller!

bluerun

Super B****

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I have the Scosche armband so no cadence lock. It's less about the actual numbers for me and more the trend. For a maxHR, I use the highest number that I've seen which is 205 (from my 5K PR last year, as well as a workout a few months ago). My easy pace (10:20-11:00) has finally gone from high 150's to high 140's. I feel fitter and it's nice to see that reflected in HR. The only time that easy pace range is not conversational is when I'm also pushing my 5 year old in the stroller!

I've found that mine DOES lock on cadence sometimes.

chasing the impossible

Bert-o

I lost my rama

My Scosche does too, especially in the winter when there's also static interference.  Annoys the hell out of me.

sdWhiskers - 140 - 150 is perfect for the easy run with a MaxHR of 205.  Your true max is likely higher.  Some say add 5 to an all out 5K.

MTA - If your HR continues to drop, run faster. 

3/17 - NYC Half

bluerun

Super B****

My Scosche does too, especially in the winter when there's also static interference.  Annoys the hell out of me.

Yes, since that's part of the reason I got it!!  I've found that it's less likely to do it if I wear it on my bicep instead of my forearm.

chasing the impossible

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yes, since that's part of the reason I got it!!  I've found that it's less likely to do it if I wear it on my bicep instead of my forearm.

I never tried it on the bicep.  Not sure if the strap is long enough.  I'll try it this evening.  Thanks for the info!

3/17 - NYC Half

sdWhiskers

Interesting. I've never had a run where I've noticed that to be the case. Do you wear it on the upper arm or lower arm? I always do upper.

It does occasionally get "stuck" at the same HR for an hour

From the Internet.

My foot feels good and my almost-cold that showed up yesterday vanished this morning, so I'm planning a ~30 minute jog after school and as many laps as I can swim after dinner when the pool is open. School is still driving me nuts. I don't understand why they refuse to listen to me when they behave for other people and it's so demoralizing.