Beginners and Beyond

Running Streak / Tender Knee / What to do? (Read 268 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Until now I've always had scheduled rest days.  Recently, I got into the streak kick that everybody is doing.  I've run 160 miles in the last 28 days without a rest day.  My right knee is feeling a little tender toward the right front side.  I can run on it, but I'm considering my options.

I have a HM on May 24th, and I'm going to be getting into the meat of the running program in January.  Right now, I'm just base building.  I want to make sure that my knee is feeling great when I get into the quality work. 

I was going to start including a long run again this weekend, but I've already decided that wouldn't be the best idea.  My fiance is going to run 2.5 miles today at what would be my recovery pace.  Do I run that with her, and keep my streak alive? or do I screw the streak and take a rest day?  Like I said, I can run on my knee.  I wouldn't even give it a second thought, but it's been a couple of days and it's still there.  I'd say that I can feel it a bit more today than I did yesterday.

What would you do?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

I am super overly cautious, because I have spent way too many weeks injured, so I would take a rest day. But then again, getting through a cycle uninjured and getting a nice race PR is more important to me than a meaningless streak.

Love the Half

I have never understood the point of running streaks.  Even world class runners need time off.  It is much better to rest for a day or two than to be forced to rest for a couple of weeks.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I agree rest the knee. My knee has me off for 5 weeks now.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Mmmmm...beer

Better to rest than have it turn into a full blown injury that affects your race.  Streaks are fun, but definitely not worth getting hurt over.  My streak ended yesterday, life just got the best of me and my run never happened, no big deal. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks!  After reading the responses, I realize that I knew the answer before I asked the question.  I guess I just needed to hear it.  Maybe I'm just weird that way, but probably not.  I'm sure others have the same issue.  Sometimes common sense just needs reinforcement. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

LOL, I was going to say that you know the right answer to this question!  Big grin

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Maybe I could just find a treadmill to nap on.  Big grin

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Maybe I could just find a treadmill to nap on.  Big grin

I'm a very efficient multi-tasker.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm a very efficient multi-tasker.

Better to nap on the treadmill, than at your job I guess.  If you fall asleep elbow deep in a horse rectum...gross.  LOL

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

I started the running streak, went 8 days and my knee felt weird, that was the end of the streak and it's been fine ever since.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

To keep from going crazy, I went and bought two new pair of running shoes.  Then, I walked the dog for two miles.  The knee is feeling better by the hour, and hopefully new shoes will help going forward.  Mostly, having a rest day from time to time will probably help.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I agree with those who say rest. I don't really plan rest days but I know when I need them--and especially if you've been working harder or doing more mileage than you're used to, rest is even more important.  I have also never purposely done a running streak because I feel like you're either forced into running when you shouldn't be, or you're forced to go out and do junk mileage when rest would yield a much greater benefit.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

When I stop and think about how my upcoming training plan is put together, I wonder if the reason it is so flexible isn't just for that reason.  Jack Daniels talks a lot about the importance of rest, and his programs are basically, "Here's your quality work.  Get your easy miles in throughout the week.".  There really isn't any set structure for the easy miles.  So, rest days can be taken when you need them.  I guess that makes sense.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Rest that knee. I only ran 200 miles this year  due to knee problems.Cry