Beginners and Beyond

It's A World Penguin Weekend! We can't just have one day. (Read 26 times)

Kathleen - good luck tomorrow.  How's the cold.

Lauren - scary!  I'm glad the fire was put out quickly and the kids caught.

Feel so much better, but a lingering cough. Hadn't bothered me while on my short runs until I finish. Thanks for asking.

BTW, my brother just returned from a trip to Gettysburg. I will be thinking of you tomorrow running through the beautiful landscape.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Ginny, thay sounds like a small race! Is there going to be any to runner tracking?

Good luck, saph and Kathleen! Interesting that you both have 4 milers. I don't think I've seen one around here.

I ran 15. It was harder than it should have been. I got hailed on in mile 1, and never really got my groove.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Zel - NYRR does a bunch of 4 milers but very few 5ks.  I think it is because so many people race their races that they barely have time for everyone to cross the 4 mile starting line before the winners are done with the race.  Their typical weekly races have 5,000+ runners.  For instance the one I did two weeks ago had 7,751 runners.  The male winner last time finished in 20:19.  I didn't even pass through the starting line until 16 or 17 minutes after the first runners had started.

Lauren - your woods on fire story brought back memories.  My younger brother and his best friend (super sweet kid with cerebral palsy) set the woods on fire when they were 5 or 6.  Luckily no one was hurt and the fire department got the fire out quickly.  They two boys were trying to figure out how to light matches and the boy with CP didn't have the dexterity to blow or shake it out without dropping it on a pile of dry leaves =/  Both turned into functional adult members of society - so there's hope for your neighbor.

MTA:  Since I don't have very many 5ks around here I don't know what "pace" I really run it at.  I guess I run it at my 4 miler pace =P  Though today I'm going to try to run it at a 9:40-9:55 pace and help my friend get out of the dreaded NYRR brown corrals.  The last corrals in NYRR races which are for the slowest people - which unfortunately has every one from 10 minute pace to walkers.  At the weekly races this means that sometimes you'll get stuck behind walkers 4 or 5 abreast as early as the first mile if you are stuck in the brown corrals.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

RD for me today. Turns out I got 3rd in AG yesterday. I was 4th on the list they printed so I didn't stick around. Oh well.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Lauren, I'm so glad you saw the smoke as you left!  Imagine if you hadn't. {shudder}

Jill, I surely hope you got your friend out of the dreaded brown corral!  (oh and as your teammate I hope you get another run in later, haha)

Ginny, I know you are out there rocking the Gettysburg course; can't wait to hear about it!

Kathleen, hope you had a great 4M.

PAD, congrats on the AG!

Zel, sorry about your disappointing 15.  I hope today is better.  And no hail, yikes.

AFM, I ran 12 very hilly miles yesterday.  I ran the same basic course as last week's 11 miler that had 1900+ elevation gain - yesterday Garmin said >2000 feet with the extra mile!  I walked most of the hills but ran a good easy pace for the flats & downhills.  Today I feel like I need a rest day (like I do every morning, as I mentioned yesterday!).  Still trying to figure out if I'll take the rest, or run an easy short run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ran 6 more with hubby last night.  BReathing was better but I am still congested.  Today is a record breaking high day for Miami (thinking fucking hot and humid) and with head indexes in the 100s I will be doing a long run on the TM tonight.

Ginny, thinking of you!  Good luck!

Damaris

Zelanie

Trying to track Ginny, but the online runner tracking is showing some strange results.  Like people with 5-hour finish times even though the race just started 3 hours ago.  I'll just imagine her on course and kicking ass in the mean time. Smile

Zelanie

Ginny is done!  She rocked it!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

6 for us. A chilly wind, but nice in the sun.  Looking good for next HM next weekend and 2 weeks after that and...

Congrats Ginny !!!  Great time.

Brilliant

Ginny is done!  She rocked it!

Ahh...she killed it!!  I'm so impressed.  Can't wait to hear her tell about it.

Hats off to Ginny! Can't wait to hear about your race!

DR - I don't know how you manage your runs in that inferno. I wince when I see 70 - but remember, I'm the crazy one who thinks the colder the better.

Way to go Brilliant, Zel, and Jerry on your long (way long) runs.

Enjoy your RD Pad!

sapf? Do tell!

I ran my first 4M race today and it was the biggest crowd with 7000 runners. Pretty stoked about my results. My A goal was 41:02, but came in at 39:31 with an overall pace of 9:53 - lightening speed for me. (Caveat - the course was a low downhill grade.) But I was really proud of my last half mile kick. I wanted to start a little faster for the first mile, even pace for 2 and 3 and finish fast. Splits: 9:51, 10:02, 10:02, 9:36. This was my 23rd event, but it felt like my first "race". Finished 41/239 in the F55-59 AG. I'm smiling. Think I'll actually right my first RR.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats Kathleen.  That's a very speedy pace and great finish.  Now you can go run one of those NYC 4 milers with Sapf.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Kathleen - we finished in basically the same time - I ran mine in 39:29 =D  Congrats on your race!

My friend did even better than I did and should be of the brown corrals =)  I ran a 1.5 mile warm-up and the run back from the race was 4.2 miles so I did a total of 9.7 miles for today.  If I weren't running home from the race I would have gone a bit faster, but between my allergies, knowing I was running home from the race, and the woman who wore a lot of perfume (an asthma trigger for me) I didn't want to push myself too hard.  I maintained the pace such that if my friend flagged at all I could yell at her to speed up, but I let her run her own race =D  She finished in like 38:51? and DH finished in 34:07.  It was a really really nice day for racing/running in central park.  I have a 10 mile race next weekend and then a half on the 16th.  Then I'll take a whole month off of races.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Kathleen, you are not crazy.  Colder IS better for running.

This is right now.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

The short version is I finished in 4:21:14 (chip time) and, except for the last few miles, had a blast.  I'll write up a slightly longer version, but it is already blurring in my mind, so it probably won't be a long one.

Kathleen - Congratulations on beating your expectations. Very well done.

sapf - good job on your race as well.,  Sorry about the asthma.  Who wears perfume to a race?

Z - sorry your run didn't go well. Hail is a bad way to start the day.

PAD - congratulations on the AG win.  Can you pick up the trophy or will they mail it to you?

Brilliant - that's a lot of hills.  You earned a rest day after that.

D - sorry you have to do your LR on the TM, but I sure wouldn't want to be outside today.

Jerry - are you tapering for your races or just running through them?