Beginners and Beyond

Mondailes... (Read 35 times)

onemile

I ran 8. Really wasn't feeling it after falling yesterday and another week of snow/wind/snow on tap.  Trail was snowy and a bit slippery but I ran into RP 3 miles in and he ran with me for 4 miles and that helped a lot

onemile

The workout is 20 minutes of fartlek including float recoveries, done as follows:

-2x90 seconds hard with 90 seconds float rec
      -4x60 seconds hard, 60 seconds float rec
      -4x30 seconds hard, 30 seconds float rec
      -4x15 seconds hard, 15 seconds float rec

Only checked my watch in the float recoveries parts, and tried not to slow down under MP. The hard parts were done by feeling.

Ended up doing 5.07 km in the 20 minutes, which would have been a good Tempo workout if I had kept the pace steady, except I did it by constantly changing the pace. It gets fun in the 30 seconds, and crazy/wild in the 15 seconds part.

sounds like an interesting workout!  And mentally easier than a straight tempo

Cyberic

sounds like an interesting workout!  And mentally easier than a straight tempo

It's a bit different. Physically harder than a straight tempo, but mentally easier, yes. To me, and I've only done this workout twice, the hard part mentally is in the 3rd and 4th 60 seconds sections. Once you hit the 30 secs, then your mind starts being busy enough not to feel the effort as much.

You people are on fire today.  +1 on green tea anything.  My coworker gave me some of those Kit Kats, and they were delicious.  I'm a big fan of the ice cream.  And I'd totally try the yellow soda.

Sat and Sun were RD for me, although I had a hard time taking Sunday off.  But I said I'd take off a week, so I took off a full week.  This morning I ran 4 easy with my dawg.  I took my kid to get her ears pierced on Sunday, and also got one of mine done.  It was cold (for here) this morning, and I cannot use an ear-warmer.  Also headphones are a challenge.  Things I didn't think through... 

Nice work Babs on the 10K in the wind!  And the cold!  Geeze, that sounds miserable.  Congrats on the AG win.

Congratulations ROS on your new PR!  Way to get it done!

Onemile, how you feeling?  I went roller skating about 6 weeks ago and fell on my ass hard enough to break my coccyx.  I'm still sitting on a cushion in the car, and thank all that is holy for a standing desk.  Hope you're ok.

onemile

Onemile, how you feeling?  I went roller skating about 6 weeks ago and fell on my ass hard enough to break my coccyx.  I'm still sitting on a cushion in the car, and thank all that is holy for a standing desk.  Hope you're ok.

Feeling a bit sore all over. Including my neck and shoulders. But I felt okay running (that's what matters, right!?)

delicate flower

Ended up doing 5.07 km in the 20 minutes, which would have been a good Tempo workout if I had kept the pace steady, except I did it by constantly changing the pace. It gets fun in the 30 seconds, and crazy/wild in the 15 seconds part.

Heh...it's cool that a workout is a sub-20 5K. 

<3

LRB

Feeling a bit sore all over. Including my neck and shoulders. But I felt okay running (that's what matters, right!?)

Pretty much!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Moneghetti Fartlek. A fun-hard 20 minute workout.

Is that from Steve Moneghetti, the Australian runner?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Is that from Steve Moneghetti, the Australian runner?

yup

Cyberic

yup. From what I understood of an interview with Steve Moneghetti of this workout, the total mileage you do in the workout is important. Important... I mean, it is how you measure your global effort.

DavePNW

If I had the opportunity to present one gift to the world, and it could be anything with no limitations, it would be to make Cyberic99''s log display in miles instead of kilometers.

Baboon says what the rest of us are thinking.

I thought about driving to the gym to pay $5 to use the treadmill, but then I’d have to shovel the driveway first, and I didn’t really want to run after shoveling. So I ran 5 miles in the shit around the neighborhood, and it sucked. But it was only 5 miles.

Dave

onemile

Baboon says what the rest of us are thinking.

I thought about driving to the gym to pay $5 to use the treadmill, but then I’d have to shovel the driveway first, and I didn’t really want to run after shoveling. So I ran 5 miles in the shit around the neighborhood, and it sucked. But it was only 5 miles.

I am sorry you are having to experience winter this year.  Hugs.

onemile

essentially 10-mile race pace for a sub-3 marathon runner! 

DavePNW

I am sorry you are having to experience winter this year.  Hugs.

Don’t worry, spring will be here in a couple weeks. 

Dave

onemile

Don’t worry, spring will be here in a couple weeks. 

probably 6 weeks here