Beginners and Beyond

Integrity vs. Outcome Goals (Read 127 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What if you can't run marathons?

But I can.  If I cannot, I would find something else.  Training is what keeps me motivated, so I assume I would concentrate on half marathons instead.  Although they are too short. 

Damaris

Hip Redux

It all sounds like pop psychology to me. This guy knows nothing about me and my motivations. And I'm not sure he knows much about marathons (or running) either. Why do so many people feel that they just HAVE to write something?

That's why in the full article he says he asks his clients WHY when they set a goal.  The goal itself is only one part of what makes us us.  He tries to get people to see their reasons behind it, so you can keep focused on those things that are important to you, not just the outcome.  It actually makes a lot of sense.    The Coach Steveo undies are super awesome.  Big grin

happylily

That's why in the full article he says he asks his clients WHY when they set a goal.  The goal itself is only one part of what makes us us.  He tries to get people to see their reasons behind it, so you can keep focused on those things that are important to you, not just the outcome.  It actually makes a lot of sense.    The Coach Steveo undies are super awesome.  Big grin

What I wonder is what is his reason behind his blog... What is his goal? Oh yeah... money. Well he won't get mine. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

onemile

Hmm this seems to be making some people get defensive.  Interesting.

I think there's some truth to what he says. There is some satisfaction and sense of accomplishment from marathon running that doesn't come from enjoying the training or enjoying the race itself - because, let's face it, both can be pretty miserable at times.  I think all he's trying to say is that there may be other ways to get this sense of satisfaction.  :shrug:

happylily

Hmm this seems to be making some people get defensive.  Interesting.

I think there's some truth to what he says. There is some satisfaction and sense of accomplishment from marathon running that doesn't come from enjoying the training or enjoying the race itself - because, let's face it, both can be pretty miserable at times.  I think all he's trying to say is that there may be other ways to get this sense of satisfaction.  :shrug:

Of course there are other ways. I could be playing chess and entering chess competitions. Learning how to play the piano would give me a real sense of satisfaction and accomplishment as well. Volunteering abroad would too. So many things can bring those feelings. I think most of us are aware of this. And let's face it, feeling accomplished is something healthy. Better than the opposite. But I don't get why he has to offer his services to explain all of this. I'm tired of all the Dr Phils out there. So many blogs and life coaching "experts". Don't you get tired of them? But no, I'm not on the defensive. I roll my eyes, but I find it amusing. I don't think he's wrong, but I don't think he's saying anything new either.

onemile

Of course there are other ways. I could be playing chess and entering chess competitions. Learning how to play the piano would give me a real sense of satisfaction and accomplishment as well. Volunteering abroad would too. So many things can bring those feelings. I think most of us are aware of this. And let's face it, feeling accomplished is something healthy. Better than the opposite. But I don't get why he has to offer his services to explain all of this. I'm tired of all the Dr Phils out there. So many blogs and life coaching "experts". Don't you get tired of them? But no, I'm not on the defensive. I roll my eyes, but I find it amusing. I don't think he's wrong, but I don't think he's saying anything new either.

Well, in this case it sounds like it's his job...how he makes a living.  He is some sort of exercise/nutrition "coach".

happylily

Well, in this case it sounds like it's his job...how he makes a living.  He is some sort of exercise/nutrition "coach".

That's what I gathered as well. Although the pictures didn't convince me much. I guess it's possible to teach something and not look the part at all. I shouldn't judge him on that.

happylily

Just to make things clear: It's not a fight or an argument between us!  I agree with what he wrote, but I find it a very simple article and not so worthy of attention. Nothing wrong with posting the article here, though. We're discussing it and I like discussions. If the guy wasn't selling his services, I'd have more respect for his blog. But he's out there selling his salad and his merchandise... I find that cheap, and what he writes not that helpful or worthy of my money, that's all. Everyone and their dog nowadays want to make money off of the internet. yawn...

DavePNW

Seems like a lot of psychobabble to me. Maybe it works for some people. I really don't do much in the way of goal setting for myself in general. Which is probably not good from a life standpoint - I can never answer any of those "where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years" questions. But the running for me just started as a way to maintain cardiovascular fitness. Actually evolved from just doing the elliptical, but ended up finding running outside was a lot more interesting. And I found a lot of satisfaction out of being able to run longer distances & more weekly miles. I have done a few races, maybe because I do like having the accomplishment of officially running marathons, but never lived for racing like some here do. I set rough goals for the races mainly so I know what kind of of pace I should go out at. Because of this, and because my training is pretty haphazard, I know I will severely limit my ability to get faster, but I'm OK with that. Maybe that will change, I don't know.

In any case, I don't think running has anything to do with the type of person I want to be, I just look at it as my hobby. And I am as obsessed with it (and spend as much time with it) as others do with golf, hunting, fantasy football, etc. I suppose I am pretty proud of having a hobby that has the side benefit of keeping me in shape.

Anyway, I think I am going to go out for a LR now, because that's what I like to do.

Dave

happylily

Seems like a lot of psychobabble to me. Maybe it works for some people. I really don't do much in the way of goal setting for myself in general. Which is probably not good from a life standpoint - I can never answer any of those "where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years" questions. But the running for me just started as a way to maintain cardiovascular fitness. Actually evolved from just doing the elliptical, but ended up finding running outside was a lot more interesting. And I found a lot of satisfaction out of being able to run longer distances & more weekly miles. I have done a few races, maybe because I do like having the accomplishment of officially running marathons, but never lived for racing like some here do. I set rough goals for the races mainly so I know what kind of of pace I should go out at. Because of this, and because my training is pretty haphazard, I know I will severely limit my ability to get faster, but I'm OK with that. Maybe that will change, I don't know.

In any case, I don't think running has anything to do with the type of person I want to be, I just look at it as my hobby. And I am as obsessed with it (and spend as much time with it) as others do with golf, hunting, fantasy football, etc. I suppose I am pretty proud of having a hobby that has the side benefit of keeping me in shape.

Anyway, I think I am going to go out for a LR now, because that's what I like to do.

This ^, I like. Going to run 16 miles myself and I won't even ask myself why I do it. Isn't that terrible? 

Hip Redux

A huge % of the population is unable to hit ANY health or fitness goal they set for themselves, ever.  I just came from a family party where everyone was grousing about how much weight they gained, blah blah - but aren't making any changes to their life that will fix that.  He's not talking to people who have figured out what drives them and keeps them motivated.   There's nothing wrong with what's he's saying, and I dare say most people IRL kinda do need help making the day-to-day changes necessary to be the type of person they actually want to be/hit the goals they want to hit.  :shrug:

happylily

I did say: " I agree with what he wrote,"  I just find it simple and almost sad that some people need to pay to hear simplistic things like that. But if it helps them, then it's all good, you're right. :-)

Hip Redux

That's what I gathered as well. Although the pictures didn't convince me much. I guess it's possible to teach something and not look the part at all. I shouldn't judge him on that.

No, you really shouldn't.  Do you want me to find out his BMI for you so you can judge him on that too? Big grin

Besides, in his about him, he says "...he decided that he wanted to get a perfect score on the United States Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test. For those of you not in the know, that’s 100 crunches in 2 minutes, 20 pull-ups, and a 3 mile run in under 18 minutes. He did that in September of 2009."      Seems legit to me.

happylily

No, you really shouldn't.  Do you want me to find out his BMI for you so you can judge him on that too? Big grin

Besides, in his about him, he says "...he decided that he wanted to get a perfect score on the United States Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test. For those of you not in the know, that’s 100 crunches in 2 minutes, 20 pull-ups, and a 3 mile run in under 18 minutes. He did that in September of 2009."      Seems legit to me.

Okay, I'll be honest. It's got nothing to do with his BMI. It's the SCARF! Have you seen his scarf? I mean what the heck? Sorry, I can't trust a scarf guy...