Beginners and Beyond

Integrity vs. Outcome Goals (Read 127 times)

Hip Redux

OK.  The scarf is pretty lame. lol

I agree it's a simple concept and it is sad to see people struggle with their goals, sure - but I guess that's what keeps this guy in business. lol  I mean - do you know people who have managed to change their lives through a new year's resolution with no plan other than making a list of things they "want to do"?    The goal is the easy part, getting there is the hard part - and if you are trying to do something that along the way doesn't have some enjoyment for you, it'll be even harder.

For example - if I think about what I like about running, it's absolutely not the physical act of putting one foot in front of the other.   In addition to the health benefits, it's being outdoors, the competition, and the social aspect.   So for me, piano or chess would not be in line with any of that and would probably make me miserable.  

OK, enough pyschobabble, off to the gym to work on my six pack.  Big grin

happylily

Have fun at the gym, Oski! I myself think you're pretty awesome just because of your wit and intelligence. 6 packs don't impress me much. But if you do get one, remember that you are under obligation to show it here, as proof that you've reached your goal, you know... 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No more marathons

Goals are always adjustable.

Yes, I will not be setting any new PR's in my 60's, but I can set age group PR's, or age graded % PRs, or what ever else I fancy that keeps me running.  And when I'm done running I'll find something else that get's me off the couch (at least a little) and keeps both body and mind occupied.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Just B.S.

I mean - do you know people who have managed to change their lives through a new year's resolution with no plan other than making a list of things they "want to do"? 

I do! That would be meSmile

Jan 1,2000 I had just turned 38 , was almost 40 lbs overweight heading for 160 lbs feeling gross and disgusted

with myself.

Tired of feeling sluggish and hating how I looked in the mirror.  I resolved that I would lose the weight and get

healthy. No plan  but resolved to do some researsch and get where I wanted to be within a year. I had the

desire and knew I would figure it out as  I went along.

Started eating cleaner and kickboxing daily and using my recument at least one hour a day. When

April came I got out my bike and rode an hour a every day possible. One day in May I decided to try

running while on a family walk. I ran the better part of 2 very slow miles with just a few stops for breath.

By June I was down to 128 and already in love with running. By August I could run 10 k and was down

to my now normal weight of 122 which I have maintained all these years.

Haven't stopped running since. Trained myself for my first half in 2003 ran it alone as hubby was not yet

a runner but very supportive . Finish time on a  hilly course at age 41 was 2:15. In 2004 as a result of

seeing my success and ho w much fun I had running that half hubby started running with our son and

we all ran the same half  together in 2004.

My decision in 2000 ended up changing my life and our family forever. I never naysay Resolutioners

because was one myself 14 years ago.

A lot will fail but those with enough grit and determination will succeed.

happylily

That's great, Beth. You've come a long way, you're a very strong woman. 

Just B.S.

That's great, Beth. You've come a long way, you're a very strong woman. 

Thanks Lily not strong as much as stubborn and very unwilling to ever give up on something I say

I am  going to do.

happylily

Thanks Lily not strong as much as stubborn and very unwilling to ever give up on something I say

I am  going to do.

Beth, that is a form of strength in my book. More important than physical strength even.

Nevrgivup

I am  going to do.

This is why I look up to you so much. We are very similar and you are the best cheerleader and set an awesome example to others.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

I want to weigh 165 lbs. Do I wsnt to do what it takes to get to that weight? Do I enjoy the journey or do I just want to reach the goal? I don't know. Sometimes the more focused you stay, the better you get at things, and in turn the more you like doing them. Running might be like that. Hard to do and hate it at first. Lots quit, and never reach their weight goals. But some others get better at it and enjoy the process
                    onemile

I do! That would be meSmile

Jan 1,2000 I had just turned 38 , was almost 40 lbs overweight heading for 160 lbs feeling gross and disgusted

with myself.

Tired of feeling sluggish and hating how I looked in the mirror.  I resolved that I would lose the weight and get

healthy. No plan  but resolved to do some researsch and get where I wanted to be within a year. I had the

desire and knew I would figure it out as  I went along.

Started eating cleaner and kickboxing daily and using my recument at least one hour a day. When

April came I got out my bike and rode an hour a every day possible. One day in May I decided to try

running while on a family walk. I ran the better part of 2 very slow miles with just a few stops for breath.

By June I was down to 128 and already in love with running. By August I could run 10 k and was down

to my now normal weight of 122 which I have maintained all these years.

Haven't stopped running since. Trained myself for my first half in 2003 ran it alone as hubby was not yet

a runner but very supportive . Finish time on a  hilly course at age 41 was 2:15. In 2004 as a result of

seeing my success and ho w much fun I had running that half hubby started running with our son and

we all ran the same half  together in 2004.

My decision in 2000 ended up changing my life and our family forever. I never naysay Resolutioners

because was one myself 14 years ago.

A lot will fail but those with enough grit and determination will succeed.

This is cool. I've read your RR's and assumed you were always fit and active.

Hip Redux

I can see it now - Coach Betho!   Big grin   Undies and t-shirts coming soon.

DavePNW

Bearing the maple leaf, of course.

Dave

happylily

I totally love it! 

Just B.S.

This is cool. I've read your RR's and assumed you were always fit and active.

I was very active until first kiddo at 27 1/2 kept on 10 lbs then 2 years later gained 65 lbs when I carried my 11

Lb son and kept on an extra 20 then a pound or so more each year until before I knew it 160 was the next step

On  the scale. My family has a history of obesity and diabetes I knew at 38 if I didn't do something I could be

on a very bad patth to ill health and didn't want to do that to my kids.

Hubby also lost 40 lbs after he started running in 2004 and then did his first full in Aug 2005 then his second

that fall with our 16 yr old son.  Hubby BQd for the first time in 2009 at age 45.

My decision did literally change our entire families health and fitness 100%

for the better. That is the thing am most proud of over all these years and modest accomplishments.

Also that I have adult children who think what we i am pretty darn cool.Smile

Just B.S.

Are you  guys making fun of me Sad ( insert foot stamping)