Beginners and Beyond

企鹅 (pengin) Thursday (Read 8 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chinese Language Day

PADRunner

6 miles 2 @ tempo

+

7+3 drills are from runcoach. some warmup drills on speed days.

After an easy jog (according to your schedule) and light stretch, these drills will help prevent injuries, improve your running form, and increase speed.  Please review the 7 videos below for descriptions of each.

Toe Walking

Heel Walking

Rhythm Skip

Bounding

High Knees

Butt Kicks

Quick Skip

After each drill you should run the remaining distance to cover 100 meters so that when the 7 drills are complete you will have run 7×100 meters (exercises included).  Then finish up your warmup with 3×100 meter strides.  The 100 meters should be at your 1500 meter pace.  Give yourself at least 30 seconds recovery (feel free to take up to 1 minute if desirable).  Please review the video below for a description of a stride.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Penguins!!  I am back from the land of caretaking, woo-hoo!!  My mom is doing well with her new hip -- still in some pain, but she's getting around pretty well and she was independent enough that we came home on Tuesday and took care of some of our own stuff on Wednesday.  She's not quite up to getting herself into the shower, but she was getting around the kitchen making her own breakfast, sitting in the chairs without too much trouble, picking up Dad's newspapers, etc.  I think it was definitely good that we were there -- Dad needed the help for a few days, and having DH cook was very nice for them.  But work calls, and they'll be fine now.

Installed the latest software update on my phone.  It's ghastly.  But it looks like rolling it back will be even more ghastly.

And I have new license plates!!  I think I'll just end up paying the ticket.  I'm worried that fighting it will leave me liable for court costs if I lose.  Docket, any thoughts on that?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - I'm glad your parents are doing all right.  Have fun playing catch-up at work.

PAD - I need to start doing drills, I just have a problem with looking like more of an idiot than usual when running down my street.  I want to become a better runner, but have been too lazy to do anything serious about it. Having Boston as my long term goal means I have a year to work on form, strength, etc. Thanks for the links.

It's warming up again, today and tomorrow anyway. I'll do another 5 or 6 this afternoon.

PADRunner

PAD - I need to start doing drills, I just have a problem with looking like more of an idiot than usual when running down my street.  I want to become a better runner, but have been too lazy to do anything serious about it. Having Boston as my long term goal means I have a year to work on form, strength, etc. Thanks for the links.

Yea me too. I found a flat 100m section in the park to use. There's a 1-2 mile warmup before the drills so it gets me there. Some of the other speed work I'll do at a track. Plus at 5-6 in the morning there's not many people around to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I went to Orange Theory this morning, sweated a ton.  I have Pilates and 5-7 miles, but so busy at work today I'm not sure how many I can end up doing (maybe 5 at least).

HopeMom, glad your mom is doing great.  There is a possibility that you will have to pay court costs, in addition to your parking, lost of work time, etc.  But if I was the judge I wouldn't charge you for something that wasn't your fault.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, but if I had a real stickler for a judge, I could see him (or her) saying, "You have month and year stickers on your license plate, don't you?  You should've noticed they were expired!"  Which is true, but how often do you actually look at your plates?  So, meh.  I have until June to decide, as my court date isn't until then.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Same thing happen to me in March!  They expired in September and I swear I bought and renew but I apparently never put them on. SMH. I paid my citation and quietly renewed.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

They stopped doing the stickers this year in PA. You just have to have the registration available.  I guess they decided lack of sticker would no longer be probable cause to stop a car.