Beginners and Beyond

Frustrating Fridailies (Read 42 times)

Cyberic

My best running years have been in my 40s.

RunningOnSand

Yeah the hay is in the barn at this point, so do whatever feels right. I probably would not rest, but I'm dumb.

Well, I'm dumb, too, b/c I decided to try to do my run. I told myself: if it got awful, I'd bail. But you know how it goes. The internal monologue went something like, "Oh my god, I feel awful. I should really just stop and walk. Well, wait a minute, let's not get ahead of ourself. Just finish this mile." And that happened basically every mile after the 4th mile. So, it was one of my slowest training runs to date, but that one is done. I'm seriously considering emailing coach and asking him to either a) change tomorrow's workout to something easier, or b) move it to Sunday. I'm currently laying on the couch. I just feel body aches and exhausted. Oh well.

BTW, you guys' convo about Onemile and her PR pacing gig had me laughing. You guys are hilarious. Anyone on these boards knows Onemile is basically a walking legend, and of course you could run circles around a 3:40. And I also had to LOL @ HC's question about when does it start for your 40s. I just turned 40, so I'm holding onto hope that this decade is even better than the previous. So far, that's been the pattern. I hope it continues.

Shortii & Demaris, I hope you both surprise yourselves and have kickass races tomorrow.

GinnyinPA

So what happens if your coach gave you a pace but you really don’t believe in yourself?  Asking for a friend...

That's why you pay a coach to coach you. Trust your training.

From the Internet.

Hello!

Ran a fun workout today: 3 mile warmup, then 45 minutes alternating between 5 minutes ~MP and 5 minutes ~HMP. Short cooldown after. Goal was to run something a little quick and tempo-y without trashing the legs, and this had the added bonus of making MP feel nice and easy. Success!

Runshortii

That's why you pay a coach to coach you. Trust your training.

My coach told me to aim for 7:40-7:45 pace for Chicago and I basically told her she was nuts, and I ran almost exactly a 7:45 pace 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wonder if she has put bets as to whether I’ll dNFd this one as well. It’s been that kind of year.  Mentally, I see a race and I just quit before I start. Lol

When she was finishing Glass City, I didn’t want to cheer too loud to confuse her as to why I was there and not at Mile 18, lol.

Damaris

Runshortii

I wonder if she has put bets as to whether I’ll dNFd this one as well. It’s been that kind of year.  Mentally, I see a race and I just quit before I start. Lol

When she was finishing Glass City, I didn’t want to cheer too loud to confuse her as to why I was there and not at Mile 18, lol.

Weather is looking good tomorrow though. Have you driven the course yet?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We just crossed into Wisconsin so nope. Heading to the expo now.  Got some Sbux and glad to because I am falling asleep today.

Damaris

LRB

At what point is that supposed to happen?

I'm not sure. I suppose I shouldn't have stated it as an absolute but it's hard to believe you've peaked and are on the decline. Maybe you should try a real life coach. There's a guy here who has an incredible track record of helping people bust through plateaus. He actually runs and trains with his clients (there's actually a few of them now that I think about it) which is what some people need...or not. Just a thought

DavePNW

BTW, you guys' convo about Onemile and her PR pacing gig had me laughing. You guys are hilarious. Anyone on these boards knows Onemile is basically a walking legend, and of course you could run circles around a 3:40. And I also had to LOL @ HC's question about when does it start for your 40s. I just turned 40, so I'm holding onto hope that this decade is even better than the previous. So far, that's been the pattern. I hope it continues.

Well my best running years have been in my 50s, but of course I ran my first marathon at age 47.

MTA: isn't there supposed to be some kind of 7-year rule - your peak is about 7 years after you start running, regardless of what age you were when you started?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If that’s the case I’m fucked...

Damaris

LRB

Well my best running years have been in my 50s, but of course I ran my first marathon at age 47.

MTA: isn't there supposed to be some kind of 7-year rule - your peak is about 7 years after you start running, regardless of what age you were when you started?

That would've been two years ago for me and it was ugly. lol

DavePNW

From some dumb RW article "25 Golden Rules of Running"

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20790553/the-25-golden-rules-of-running/

The 7-Year Rule

The rule states: Runners improve for about seven years.

Mike Tymn noticed this in the early 1980s and wrote about it in his National Masters News column. “My seven-year adaptation theory was based on the fact that so many runners I talked to ran their best times an average of seven years after they started,” he recalls.

The Exception: Low-mileage runners can stretch the seven years to well over a decade before plateauing.

Dave

onemile

If that’s the case I’m fucked...

Me too 

We'll have to cry about it over dinner tonight 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Big grin

My PR is 7-8 years old....

So I shouldn’t worry about tomorrow and run in my beer compression socks then. Fuck the foot.

Damaris