Beginners and Beyond

Frustrating Fridailies (Read 42 times)

LRB

If that’s the case I’m fucked...

You're fucked when you can't run anymore.

LRB

My best running years have been in my 40s.

You're likely to carry a lot of that over into the 50s. How far is anyone's guess.

I'm personally training to best my "younger" self. Not so much in overall speed, but in holding pace X for longer than I could/did back then.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You're fucked when you can't run anymore.

True. But then I should stop obsessing with a PR if it’s never going to happen?  Although my fastest year was 4 years ago, or 8-9 years after I started training, so...

Damaris

From the Internet.

From some dumb RW article "25 Golden Rules of Running"

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20790553/the-25-golden-rules-of-running/

The 7-Year Rule

The rule states: Runners improve for about seven years.

Mike Tymn noticed this in the early 1980s and wrote about it in his National Masters News column. “My seven-year adaptation theory was based on the fact that so many runners I talked to ran their best times an average of seven years after they started,” he recalls.

The Exception: Low-mileage runners can stretch the seven years to well over a decade before plateauing.

Whew maybe all my injuries will work in my favor! I'm just about at 7 years right now, but I feel like I for sure have some more gains to milk before I can't get any faster. I've had a few good training cycles but some low mileage years too.

Baboon

delicate flower

The 7-Year Rule

I figure I'm probably getting pretty close to topping out.

<3

sdWhiskers

I paid $4.50 for gas today. Perfect weather doesn't come cheap.

Ran 5 miles.

Re: 7 year improvement.  I don't think the clock starts until you actually run with some focus/structure.

LRB

I paid $4.50 for gas today. Perfect weather doesn't come cheap.

It's $2.89 here, up from about $2.50 for the past several years. Rumor has it that it is only going up, up, up.

Runshortii

Re: 7 year improvement.  I don't think the clock starts until you actually run with some focus/structure.

I agree with this. My first HM I think my weekly mileage was an average of 12 miles per week lol

Runshortii

Also about the 7 year clock, I do know quite a few runners who ran in high school, college and still continued to improve after that. Granted most of them weren’t focusing on HM or marathon distance til after college.

LRB

I agree with this. My first HM I think my weekly mileage was an average of 12 miles per week lol

I ran my first half on an 8 mile "long" run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Just had dinner with onemile. Big grin

I don’t know how to post a picture from my phone so imagine you saw it.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Ha me too! And I ran them all as fast as I could 

Runshortii

D - where did you guys go?

speaking of coaches and paces, mine said to start at a 7:25 pace tomorrow through the halfway. I was thinking more along 7:35 but what’s the worst that could happen 

GinnyinPA

6 humid miles for me, but I beat the thunderstorm home.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

D - where did you guys go?

speaking of coaches and paces, mine said to start at a 7:25 pace tomorrow through the halfway. I was thinking more along 7:35 but what’s the worst that could happen 

The pizza place you suggested.  It was good.

Damaris