Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES (Read 43 times)

Cyberic

It was only 13!

But I told her it was going to be 12 (it was my best guess) and when we were at 11 and someone said it was at least another 2 miles to go, I got a really really bad look :P

Smile

From the Internet.

OK I might be done moping for now. I have some food in me and feel mostly human again. Marathons are stupid (but I'll run another one next year, whether it's spring or fall or something in between for last-minute BQ attempt).

Next goal: kick a 5K in the teeth. At least I know how to race that distance the right way, and my PR is almost a year old. My legs are feeling surprisingly good right now. I think running 23 in training at the tail end of a 60 mpw block took more out of me physically, though it is a distinct possibility that I'll be changing my tune tomorrow. Still deserve a break of some sort after 20 weeks of training, so I'll for sure take off tomorrow and Tuesday at the least and won't get back to workouts for a couple weeks.

No more marathons

I had a really fucking hard day.

First several miles felt easy, I found a little pack to hang with and everything was great. Started feeling nauseous around mile 10 and switched over to Tailwind early hoping I could stave off the inevitable. Hung on to my pack through like 19 or 20 maybe, but once I made the call that I had to stop and puke at the next water stop I just mentally checked out. Fucking walk-jogged my way to the end and it sucked. I tried to be tough but there's only so much nausea that you can tough your way through.

I'm wildly disappointed, crying in my bathroom and not sure what I'll do from here. Legs feel okay so I'll take a couple days off and go from there.

A marathon will drain you as much mentally as physically.  So don't make any drastic decisions for at least a few weeks.

And I doubt that there are many who have run one or more marathons that don't have an experience like your's that they can use to feel great empathy towards your case.

Not having any knowledge as to your goal for this marathon, and just looking at your past races and your pacing on this one, I'd have to say this was not bad - not bad at all.  Your training log shows you've put in the work and if the nausea issue can be addressed you could make a marked improvement in your next effort.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

No more marathons

OK I might be done moping for now. I have some food in me and feel mostly human again. Marathons are stupid (but I'll run another one next year, whether it's spring or fall or something in between for last-minute BQ attempt).

Next goal: kick a 5K in the teeth. At least I know how to race that distance the right way, and my PR is almost a year old. My legs are feeling surprisingly good right now. I think running 23 in training at the tail end of a 60 mpw block took more out of me physically, though it is a distinct possibility that I'll be changing my tune tomorrow. Still deserve a break of some sort after 20 weeks of training, so I'll for sure take off tomorrow and Tuesday at the least and won't get back to workouts for a couple weeks.

Let me offer what will most likely be a contrarian opinion - and based totally on my own experience - which counts for nothing for anyone but me.

You are in the best shape of your life.  Find another marathon 10 to 12 weeks out and go get it.  Reverse taper up for the next three weeks, 4 to 6 weeks of basic marathon training, and a three week taper down.  Run conservatively for the first 18 and then let what will happen, happen.

We now return to our regular scheduled programming.

He's a leaker!

From the Internet.

A marathon will drain you as much mentally as physically.  So don't make any drastic decisions for at least a few weeks.

And I doubt that there are many who have run one or more marathons that don't have an experience like your's that they can use to feel great empathy towards your case.

Not having any knowledge as to your goal for this marathon, and just looking at your past races and your pacing on this one, I'd have to say this was not bad - not bad at all.  Your training log shows you've put in the work and if the nausea issue can be addressed you could make a marked improvement in your next effort.

Had I not felt so sick, I think I could have held on for ~3:40ish. Pie-in-the-sky goal was a BQ (under 3:35 for me) and that kept me pushing hard and putting in the miles this summer, but realistically I think I knew in the back of my head that I was short on both lifetime mileage and race experience for one 50-60mpw training cycle to really be enough for that. Plus I could feel this stupid cold starting to settle in my chest the past couple days - there's no way I could have caught the 3:35 group today without turning blue in the face.

I came out of this cycle much stronger than I went in, though, and I'm hoping I can make low-mid 50s my base mileage over the winter and peak more like 65-70 next time I train for one of these silly things.

From the Internet.

Let me offer what will most likely be a contrarian opinion - and based totally on my own experience - which counts for nothing for anyone but me.

You are in the best shape of your life.  Find another marathon 10 to 12 weeks out and go get it.  Reverse taper up for the next three weeks, 4 to 6 weeks of basic marathon training, and a three week taper down.  Run conservatively for the first 18 and then let what will happen, happen.

We now return to our regular scheduled programming.

Well as long as I'm not making rash decisions with the emotional toll of the marathon still upon me, I'll keep this option open too!

No more marathons

Well as long as I'm not making rash decisions with the emotional toll of the marathon still upon me, I'll keep this option open too!

LOL - good idea.  Some of my ideas really suck.

He's a leaker!

LRB

though it is a distinct possibility that I'll be changing my tune everyday for the next 62 weeks and may never figure it out. 

Truth.

From the Internet.

Truth.

Lol yes. Accurate.

Baboon

delicate flower

It was only 13!

But I told her it was going to be 12 (it was my best guess) and when we were at 11 and someone said it was at least another 2 miles to go, I got a really really bad look :P

Great day on the trails and I'm pooped.  Mandatory elevation post -

Wife said it wasn't that hilly.  IT WAS 13 MILES OF UPHILL!

<3

Hip Redux

Wife said it wasn't that hilly.  IT WAS 13 MILES OF UPHILL!

There's really only two significant climbs, the rest you don't notice... except that second half started to really be a drag and that confirmed why lol

DavePNW

I was gonna say, just like you don't send an email when you're still angry, don't post after a marathon until you've had some cooldown time.

This was your first fucking marathon. Cut yourself some slack. Nothing can ever prepare you for your first. There are of course some exceptions, ahem Eric, but your experience is more the rule than the exception.

I have a BQ so I can now give advice.  I would take it really easy the next 2-3 weeks, regardless of how your legs may feel. Give your body & mind some recovery time. But then going after a 5k is a great idea. I am personally not agreeing with bluesky's suggestion. What's the hurry? You are young & have plenty of time, you can wait till at least spring for another. By then you will have more accumulated mileage & another dedicated training cycle, and should have a better shot at a significant improvement than if you rushed into another one now. I think you have the 3:35 fitness in you, but extrapolating that to actual marathon performance is always a crapshoot, especially early in your marathoning career. Keep at it & you'll get there.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 easy. My legs felt surprisingly good.

Lauren, sorry it didn't go as planned. Huge respect for finishing after puking, I'd be curled up in the fetal position on the side of the road after that.

Bluerun, nice race.

LRB

I have a BQ so I can now give advice.

We're witnessing history here folks.