Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

LRB

Whatever it takes, dude.

Mentally, I hadn't prepared for doing any type of training this week (remember my tirade from the weekend?). So when dude walked up, introduced himself, then told me to get started with 10 minutes on the e-bike, I was ready to turn around and walk right out the door!

It turns out he is pretty bright and actually knows a lot about the mechanics of running. I am encouraged, which is nothing short of a miracle!

LRB

You kill me.

Someone has to.

DavePNW

Garmin took FOR-EVER to find satellites. 

I have actually stopped waiting for my Garmin to find a satellite. I just press the start button & go. It picks up a signal eventually, and generally seems to compensate for the beginning portion. If it's off a little, so what. I don't know why it took me so long to start doing this, it has made life so much easier.

Dave

From the Internet.

I have actually stopped waiting for my Garmin to find a satellite. I just press the start button & go. It picks up a signal eventually, and generally seems to compensate for the beginning portion. If it's off a little, so what. I don't know why it took me so long to start doing this, it has made life so much easier.

Normally I stick it in my front window and it's ready to go by the time I fix my hair and put on shoes - it has major issues right outside my house anyway because of all the trees, so I like to give it a chance to be mostly-correct before I hit start. I cleared out the history so hopefully it'll be happier tomorrow.

LRB

I'm not sure about the 620 since I've never had an issue with acquiring satellites, but my 410 would come up short whatever the distance was I ran without one.

DavePNW

I'm not sure about the 620 since I've never had an issue with acquiring satellites, but my 410 would come up short whatever the distance was I ran without one.

It's weird. Today's workout for example (as shown in RA) indicates 8 miles, and shows splits adding up to 8.01. But when I look at the map tab, it indicates 7.81 miles, and shows the start a couple blocks from the actual start (the finish is in the right spot. But the 8 is what I actually ran, and is what goes into the log, so I'm good with that.

Dave

LRB

It's weird. Today's workout for example (as shown in RA) indicates 8 miles, and shows splits adding up to 8.01. But when I look at the map tab, it indicates 7.81 miles, and shows the start a couple blocks from the actual start (the finish is in the right spot. But the 8 is what I actually ran, and is what goes into the log, so I'm good with that.

Thanks for the tip!

#buythatmanabeer

delicate flower

Interval run fail.  The assignment was 10 minute w/u, then 5 x 3:00 at 6:15 pace with 2:00 recoveries, then c/d to six miles.  Actual interval paces averaged about 6:30.  Well my last interval session was also a 6:30 pace but in 2:00 intervals, so I suppose this is progress.  I can do better though.  Eff.  I am not used to intervals.  How the hell do some of you people run sub-6:00 intervals?

<3

LRB

Interval run fail.  The assignment was 10 minute w/u, then 5 x 3:00 at 6:15 pace with 2:00 recoveries, then c/d to six miles.  Actual interval paces averaged about 6:30.  Well my last interval session was also a 6:30 pace but in 2:00 intervals, so I suppose this is progress.  I can do better though.  Eff.  I am not used to intervals.  How the hell do some of you people run sub-6:00 intervals?

Repetition, also known as "reps".

The more you practice at it the less effort it will take to hit your number.

Little Blue

It turns out he is pretty bright and actually knows a lot about the mechanics of running. I am encouraged, which is nothing short of a miracle!

You'll never see him again.  He has a new job starting tomorrow.

bluerun

Super B****

Someone has to.

Unfortunately, this is not literally true.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

You'll never see him again.  He has a new job starting tomorrow.

lol

I hope not. I am real finicky with the professional people I am willing to work with. If I do not believe in one's ability, I am like a turtle that won't come out of his shell. It's weird...I guess that makes me weird.

LRB

Unfortunately, this is not literally true.

Hey, you could be Charlie Sheen!

onemile

I would try slowing down the warm up and the recoveries.

Cyberic

I was doing hard reps last spring while training for a 5K using a Daniels program. This is a sample workout I did:

1.5E + 4 x 190R w/190 jg + 4 X 380R w/380jg + 4 x 190R w/190 jg + 1.5E

The program probably asked for 200s and 400s, but I was on a 190m track. My paces were 5:45ish, but reps were short  and recovery was longer (time) than the reps.

There was another weekly workout, but that other one was longer Daniels Tempo type workout (3 miles steady, or 2 x 2 miles w/ 2minutes E, or 4 x 1 mile w/1 minute E)