Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies # 205 (Read 25 times)

sdWhiskers

Is this true? If so, don't you need to change your password on any account that has the same password as RA or Strava? Because I don't care too much if someone gets into my RA or Strava account - what kind of damage could they do? But there may be accounts using the same passwords that I do care about.

This is why you shouldn't re-use PWs

Strava is linked to my google account. Which I would be much more worried about being hacked...

DavePNW

Strava is linked to my google account. Which I would be much more worried about being hacked...

So you have a unique password for each of your 9000 different accounts?

Dave

Cyberic

Is this true? If so, don't you need to change your password on any account that has the same password as RA or Strava? Because I don't care too much if someone gets into my RA or Strava account - what kind of damage could they do? But there may be accounts using the same passwords that I do care about.

To the best of my knowledge, it is. Garmin does send .fit files in your different accounts, so everything magically uploads from garmin, and to set that up you did go into Garmin and put in the credentials of the different platforms, and accepted, and all that. If they do it differently, and they don't store the passwords, I'm wrong on that one.

As for changing your other passwords, it depends. If your full name is in Garmin, Strava, RA, ..., with your real date of birth, and all kinds of info (credit card number and so on), and they can use that to cross reference your bank account and you're using the same password, yes it is a very possible hack. If Garmin is hacked I'd prefer if the hackers have the least info available on me.

Cyberic

garmin is not going to be able to go back up to your Google account. Of that I'm sure. That is not the way that kind of authentication works. You're good.

sdWhiskers

So you have a unique password for each of your 9000 different accounts?

All the important ones, yes (especially related to finances)

For ones like the account I need to make an appt at the hair salon? no

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah I think if you did plug into the computer via USB, you’d see something like Cyber describes. When you transfer via Bluetooth the file just goes to the GC server (and RA server and Strava server) and you never see it.

I plug when I finish but it does not do anything. Probably because it already uploaded into GC. Problem is as soon as I save the workout it uploads via Bluetooth even before I get into the house.

Damaris

Cyberic

I plug when I finish but it does not do anything. Probably because it already uploaded into GC. Problem is as soon as I save the workout it uploads via Bluetooth even before I get into the house.

Still on the watch.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

+1.  Your watch is a computer and saves the files on it.  Connect your device with the cable and look at the folders on it.

I'll try this next time I run outside. It does not do anything automatically when plugged (I plug and charge after every run).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

To the best of my knowledge, it is. Garmin does send .fit files in your different accounts, so everything magically uploads from garmin, and to set that up you did go into Garmin and put in the credentials of the different platforms, and accepted, and all that. If they do it differently, and they don't store the passwords, I'm wrong on that one.

As for changing your other passwords, it depends. If your full name is in Garmin, Strava, RA, ..., with your real date of birth, and all kinds of info (credit card number and so on), and they can use that to cross reference your bank account and you're using the same password, yes it is a very possible hack. If Garmin is hacked I'd prefer if the hackers have the least info available on me.

I doubt I need to worry. After all, I was one of the government employees that were exposed to the Chinese hacking from a few years ago. I am sure they already have everything on me.

Damaris

onemile

I'll try this next time I run outside. It does not do anything automatically when plugged (I plug and charge after every run).

Mine just shows up as a folder that I can browse to when I plug it in. (Today was the first time I have ever plugged it into my laptop)

DavePNW

All the important ones, yes (especially related to finances)

For ones like the account I need to make an appt at the hair salon? no

If "important" covers every account involving some kind of electronic payment, then the list is still practically endless.

RA does not have my full name, and I've paid subscriptions via credit card but I don't think it gets saved. Strava has my full name but I've never used a credit card. GC does not have my full name nor have I used a credit card with them. Same email address for all of them though, so IDK.

Dave

DavePNW

Mine just shows up as a folder that I can browse to when I plug it in. (Today was the first time I have ever plugged it into my laptop)

Same. It pops up like when you plug in a USB flash drive. And if it does not pop up, it can be found in the directory.

Dave

DavePNW

I doubt I need to worry. After all, I was one of the government employees that were exposed to the Chinese hacking from a few years ago. I am sure they already have everything on me.

I got a threatening email a while ago which said "we know your password is _____" and they would do all kinds of nasty things (which I don't recall offhand) unless I sent them some amount (which I also don't recall) via bitcoin. It was a password I have used but not for several years. There is a website where you can look up data breaches, and it looks like this one came from a big one that happened at LinkedIn. But this was a few years ago, so I guess these folks can be kind of slow to follow up.

Dave

sdWhiskers

If "important" covers every account involving some kind of electronic payment, then the list is still practically endless.

No, I mean those that could have really devastating consequences like banks, retirement accounts, vanguard, etc

Having just the credit card number stolen is annoying but not the end of the world  (I don't use debit card to pay for anything)

Baboon

delicate flower

It won't do anything automatically.  If you just plug your device into your computer and do nothing else, all it will do is charge.  You need to manually upload the file from your device to RA/Strava.  You ever move a computer file from one folder to another?  That is basically what you are doing.

<3