Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES (Read 36 times)

onemile

DATHAN RITZENHEIN.

Shalane, Desi, Kara.

I am cheering for Addie Bracy! 

Not that she will qualify for the Olympics but still.

LRB

I am cheering for Addie Bracy! 

Not that she will qualify for the Olympics but still.

They changed the rules so a million people are attempting to qualify (not literally but many more than usual). I have not reviewed the entrants yet but I'm sure there'll be an underdog or two I'll be rooting for.

I would love to see Dathan make it though, he just barely missed making the team in 2012. The top 3 were celebrating as he crossed the finish line just seconds behind them, hopefully he makes it this time.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi.

Later today I've got some weird tempo run to do on the TM.  1 easy + 14 min @ 7:15 + 4 min job + 12 min @ 7:15 + whatever easy for a total of 7 miles. Dang. Pfitz has me running faster than goal pace in the first week!  Let's hope I can hold up for 12 weeks and it pays off with a PR.  Depending on how I feel, I might do some core stuff when I am done.

Oh, my poor dog has fleas for the first time ever in her 10 years. I think she picked them up at the vet during her two night stay. Does Frontline work? Costco has it for a good price.

Have a good weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Day off today - Yay!

Easy run/walk last night at Fort Sam Houston along my "Dog Alley" route in the family housing area.  The weather was so pleasant - 62 degrees and sunny - that lots of my 4-legged pals were out in their yards waiting for me to give treats too.  Kind of a sluggish 1st mile - my legs were feeling the 7 hills I did on Wednesday night - but after that felt okay.  Ended up with 3.2 miles done.

This weekend I have 2 5Ks, one on Saturday at Mission Park -  a very pleasant area, with trails along the San Antonio River - and then the Game Day 5K on Sunday morning  in New Braunfels near the Guadalupe River.  Or is it the Comal River?  I tend to forget which is which.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi.

Later today I've got some weird tempo run to do on the TM.  1 easy + 14 min @ 7:15 + 4 min job + 12 min @ 7:15 + whatever easy for a total of 7 miles. Dang. Pfitz has me running faster than goal pace in the first week!  Let's hope I can hold up for 12 weeks and it pays off with a PR.  Depending on how I feel, I might do some core stuff when I am done.

Oh, my poor dog has fleas for the first time ever in her 10 years. I think she picked them up at the vet during her two night stay. Does Frontline work? Costco has it for a good price.

Have a good weekend.

Jack, we use Revolution on our cats, we get it from our vet.  It's a bit expensive and is used monthly...but we have had good results..our cats haven't had a flea on them since last May when we started using it.  And this includes our 2 outdoor cats too.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I used an over the counter treatment and a collar the time or two my dog(s) got fleas, but I had a cat get fleas once, and man oh man them things were like the locusts from The Ten Plagues! It was a million years ago so I don't remember the specifics, but I had to buy half gallon size of some crap that cost like one hundred bucks to rid myself of them carnivores!

ap4

Frontline works pretty well for most fleas.  The biggest thing with fleas is environmental decontamination.  Wash her bedding, vacuum the carpets, underneath the beds, between the couch cushions, etc.  Dump out the vacuum, repeat in 2 weeks.  What you see on the pet represents 1-2% of what's in the environment.  A female flea lays 20 eggs/day.  You get the idea.  Sometimes adding Flea Busters powder to desiccate the eggs and treating the yard are necessary evils.  The oral products (Comfortis, Bravecto, Nexguard) work better for the dogs that are bathed frequently, or spend time in the water, etc.  $20-$30/month is customary for S. California, but some vets price match online pharmacies.

Have a good weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We had a flea problem at some point when our neighbor went to check on my cats while we were on vacation.  You will need to treat them first before using Revolution: pills, spray the home, etc.  But after that, Revolution should be fine.

Damaris

DavePNW

They changed the rules so a million people are attempting to qualify (not literally but many more than usual). I have not reviewed the entrants yet but I'm sure there'll be an underdog or two I'll be rooting for.

I don't really follow running as a sport, so maybe this stuff is well known, but was news to me. I guess "anyone" can qualify for the marathon trials, as long as that "anyone" runs a certified 2:19 (men) or 2:45 (women). No prob.

Anyway, RW has profiles of a bunch of the "regular" (non-elite) folks who qualified. In each profile the runner described one of their key workouts. For one guy it was 30x400m with 200m recoveries. Yes that's THIRTY 400's. JHFC. He qualified by winning the Hartford Marathon in 2:15, and is a civil engineer who runs 110-120mpw. Regular guy.

Dave

LRB

I don't really follow running as a sport, so maybe this stuff is well known, but was news to me. I guess "anyone" can qualify for the marathon trials, as long as that "anyone" runs a certified 2:19 (men) or 2:45 (women). No prob.

Anyway, RW has profiles of a bunch of the "regular" (non-elite) folks who qualified. In each profile the runner described one of their key workouts. For one guy it was 30x400m with 200m recoveries. Yes that's THIRTY 400's. JHFC. He qualified by winning the Hartford Marathon in 2:15, and is a civil engineer who runs 110-120mpw. Regular guy.

Yes, I have forgotten the context of the conversation, but I mentioned running 20 x 400 a month or so ago, and everyone laughed at me.

And you probably are still laughing. Big grin

onemile

Yes, I have forgotten the context of the conversation, but I mentioned running 20 x 400 a month or so ago, and everyone laughed at me.

And you probably are still laughing. Big grin

How long does it take them to run a 400? I have done 20x1 minute before! 

onemile

who runs 110-120mpw. Regular guy.

That doesn't sound "regular" 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

How long does it take them to run a 400? I have done 20x1 minute before! 

Me too. So I'm just like the OTQs. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Frontline works pretty well for most fleas.  The biggest thing with fleas is environmental decontamination.  Wash her bedding, vacuum the carpets, underneath the beds, between the couch cushions, etc.  Dump out the vacuum, repeat in 2 weeks.  What you see on the pet represents 1-2% of what's in the environment.  A female flea lays 20 eggs/day.  You get the idea.  Sometimes adding Flea Busters powder to desiccate the eggs and treating the yard are necessary evils.  The oral products (Comfortis, Bravecto, Nexguard) work better for the dogs that are bathed frequently, or spend time in the water, etc.  $20-$30/month is customary for S. California, but some vets price match online pharmacies.

I'm going to get a good shampoo and the Frontline stuff. This is all new to me. Good thing we have hardwood floors.

Thanks for the tips, running friends. Smile