Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 34 Luke Holler 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2034%20Luke%20Holler%205K

BEFORE MY START

My 34th race of 2019 was the Luke Holler 5K on June 1, held at Bulverde City Park in Bulverde, Texas.  Being a veteran myself I try to do several veteran-related events over the year. I was never in actual combat, but of my 24 years in the Air Force, 18 of them were overseas, including assisting with the 1975 evacuation of refugees from Saigon, and being in Somalia during the time of the “Black Hawk Down” battle.  I remember during my career thinking jokingly to myself at times “Jeez, I am an Air Force guy with absolutely no combat training at all; I fired the M-16 ONCE in basic training when I was 18 and still can’t hit a barn door even if I was standing right next to it; why do I keep ending up in places where people are shooting at me?”  lol.  Well, one thing I learned, you just have to try and keep your sense of humor whenever you can and poke fun at yourself, it helps. I tell you what, though, I have a VERY soft spot in my heart for the combat Marines and Army folks, especially the Marine detachment, the 10th Mountain Quick Reaction Force and a handful of Army Rangers who I interacted with in Somalia; these are the people who ‘crash-coursed’ me on some things and especially helped get my noncombatant-trained Air Force butt back home safely; they will always have my greatest respect and appreciation.

This annual 5K run/walk is done in honor or Luke Holler, Marine from San Antonio’s 4th Reconnaissance Battalion who was KIA in 11/2/06 by a roadside bomb in western Iraq’s Al-Anbar province while soldiers were extracting his unit from a reconnaissance mission.  This event is done annually to remember the sacrifices made for freedom and to remember, respect, and honor Luke’s personal sacrifice. Proceeds benefit the Recon and Sniper Foundation, providing veterans with the resources and supporting infrastructure they need to make a meaningful transition back to civilian life.

Race start time of 8 a.m., with packet pickup on race day, starting at 7 a.m. I arrived onsite with about an hour to go to start time, got my packet and race bib and then got a few photos before the race started.

All services represented

photo IMG_6413_zpswkabtu1a.jpg

Race backdrop

photo IMG_6418_zpsixfgq6dg.jpg

Me in front of backdrop

photo IMG_6420_zps71ygqyhq.jpg

With friend Minerva

photo IMG_6421_zpsqijgnqz2.jpg

Our Grill-Master, cooking it up for post-race

photo IMG_6415_zpswcpupzlt.jpg

Semper Fi!  As you can see, this is a dog-friendly event.  Marine "Devil Dogs" and the 4-legged kind...  

photo IMG_6422_zps0l9sci9u.jpg

Athlete Guild guy in a quiet moment before the event starts

photo IMG_6424_zpsnryoxo7f.jpg

Various volunteers, participants, etc.

photo IMG_6414_zps2q1pihzl.jpg

photo IMG_6416_zpszpqbpnit.jpg

photo IMG_6417_zpsrdvvek0d.jpg

photo IMG_6423_zpst5jfssil.jpg

Me and my speedy friend Bernadette

photo IMG_6426_zpsmub82ghm.jpg

photo IMG_6427_zpsddikz7ey.jpg

Two very speedy runners

photo IMG_6428_zpspjoocdlb.jpg

Marine Color Guard for the event.  sorry, blurred this one  a bit

photo IMG_6430_zpsc7z0eh2o.jpg

Getting ready to start..

photo IMG_6431_zpshorafxxm.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Usual Texas weather for the start of June – warm and humid, with a temp in the mid-70’s already and humidity at about 80-something percent.  Yeah, you could feel it a bit…but hey, you live in Texas, you just deal with it and get it done.

Out-and-back course from the city park.  Started inside the park, made a turn onto a local road, then a turn onto another road which took us to our turn-round point, and then back the way we’d come.  I noticed the turn-round point was just a tad longer out, making this 3.2 miles instead of 3.1, and as I was making the turn-round, I jokingly thought those Recon Batallion folks at the event were really making us work for this one, lol. It was all good, though; nicely thought out mostly flat course – hey, they could have taken us in the other direction and we would have had some major hills – with a couple of small inclines.

The course is open to traffic but where I was I never saw anyone having any problems with the few vehicles I did see on the road, and the drivers were pretty patient and polite about it all.  I did stop to take a couple  more photos than I usually do and I ended up with a chip-time finish of 35:20, for 4th in my age group.

The guy who got 3rd in my age group finished 27 seconds ahead of me, so kudos to him.  I guess stopping on the way back for those last couple of photos cost me there; but I don’t care, I really don’t think about getting an award, I mainly just run for my personal enjoyment and if I get a medal that’s just a bonus; it’s all good.  The overall winner finished in a speedy 21:40, wow, doing a 6-something per mile average on this humid day.

Also, a touching moment when some of the members of Luke’s original battalion group – a couple of them Wounded Warriors themselves, if I remember hearing the announcer correctly – came into the finish to rousing cheers from all of us.  I run out at JBSA Fort Sam Houston quite a bit and over time see quite a few of the Wounded Warriors out there doing their thing, running, walking, exercising in the gym, etc., and they never cease to amaze and inspire me. You talk about Never Give Up…these ladies and gentlemen live it every day.

Just a bit past the 1/2 mile mark

photo IMG_6432_zpsaz8qqzoy.jpg

photo IMG_6433_zps5ws2flbf.jpg

photo IMG_6434_zpsbrn4ofsu.jpg

photo IMG_6436_zpssuxy0pl8.jpg

People on the left are already heading to the finish

photo IMG_6437_zps2mgg36dx.jpg

photo IMG_6438_zpsbsl37kgu.jpg

Made the turn-round.  Looking back the way I'd just come

photo IMG_6439_zpsat8vfjy7.jpg

photo IMG_6440_zpsxvjkvdlp.jpg

Looking front again

photo IMG_6441_zpsjc04intz.jpg

photo IMG_6442_zpsou2cu8vc.jpg

Friend Tammy coming up behind me

photo IMG_6443_zpsrpgqmn2r.jpg

Just past 2 miles....here's the beef, Tammy! 

photo IMG_6445_zpsai3abm91.jpg

We had a lot of these flowers along the way.  Very colorful

photo IMG_6446_zps1hgsvsnz.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First, get some water!  Found a nice cool spot under one of the sponsor tents – thanks for their hospitality – and sat sipping my water – and treating a nearby dog to some of my leftover doggie treats, lol – and just cooling off.  After that, enjoyed a post-race sausage wrap and walked around here-and-there getting some random photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

A few people coming in after I did

photo IMG_6447_zps6tf8qmrh.jpg

photo IMG_6449_zpsbngskpei.jpg

photo IMG_6450_zpslri25mwu.jpg

photo IMG_6451_zpszffqiify.jpg

Some of Luke's battalion guys

photo IMG_6457_zpsu5iwwb2e.jpg

Various finishers, supporters, etc.  The first few photos, it took me a minute or so to realize I had a sweat spot on my lens.  i have such great camera skills, lol. 

photo IMG_6453_zpspkpwewnn.jpg

photo IMG_6454_zpsfrgu9exc.jpg

photo IMG_6455_zpsyzuk0z8h.jpg

photo IMG_6456_zpsbfbiuimx.jpg

photo IMG_6448_zpsbqce1mld.jpg

photo IMG_6458_zpsqzkvhiso.jpg

photo IMG_6459_zpswgc3m3bh.jpg

photo IMG_6460_zpsfnqlan7x.jpg

Bernadette, 1st in her age group

photo IMG_6461_zpszj9vogm4.jpg

photo IMG_6462_zps5wxbyr6p.jpg

This lady was first overall woman.  Sammy was first in his age group

photo IMG_6463_zpsujtvco4g.jpg

photo IMG_6464_zpsnp8iorxk.jpg

Finisher medal that all finishers got

photo IMG_6465_zpsr5ijdstu.jpg

Nice bling

photo IMG_6466_zpsxrmde1nx.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nice after-party with grilled sausage wraps, grilled chicken wraps, ice-cold bottles of water – nice after a humid run – and various types of sodas, chips, fruits, and so forth.  Raffle tickets for sale for a prize of an M-4 (I think it was M-4 if I remember correctly) rifle with custom cerekot coating; DJ playing some music, pretty nice quality race tee shirts and a nice goodie bag for participants.  This is actually the first time I’ve done this event (I think this was the 4th annual one) and I certainly would do it again and would recommend it to others.  It was a very enjoyable event, well done by the organizers, and a worthy cause, and lots of camaraderie among the veterans.  I have only one regret, that I did not do all of them after this event first started.  This sure will be a regular one on my future race calendars.

Much thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  Athlete Guild for doing the timing, results, etc; all the volunteers and sponsors; the Recon and Sniper Foundation; the family of Luke Holler; law enforcement out there; our food preparers; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you so much for what you do so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

New venue and a good cause - almost makes up for the lack of beer. Right?

When is your surgery?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

New venue and a good cause - almost makes up for the lack of beer. Right?

When is your surgery?

Probably end of July, first part of August, so no running for 4 weeks after that.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt