Beginners and Beyond

Sphenisciformes Penguin Friday (Read 9 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Big Word Day

Sphenisciformes (from the Latin for "wedge-shaped") is the taxonomic order to which the penguins belong. BirdLife International has assessed 18 species. 16 (89% of total species) have had their population estimated: those missing are the king and little penguins, both of which have been assessed as being of least concern.[1][2]

PADRunner

4 done, 2 with a headwind 2 with a tailwind. I guess it averages out.

Singer who runs a smidge

I can never just come up with a big word under pressure.  Oh, the pressure!!

Well, I will give you the title of my doctoral dissertation:  Electrospray Ionization Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spectrometry of Noncovalent Complexes and Metalloproteins

So there.

The Facilities guys were not in my lab two minutes working on the eyewash when they broke a graduated cylinder.  I'm trying not to look.

I have a chorus meeting tonight, I need to make up an agenda!!

Then tomorrow I'm meeting with two of the ladies to discuss quarteting, and who should be our fourth.

Woo-hoo!!

PAD -- I guess it does average, unless you only hit the headwind when you're tired.   Woo-hoo for your 4!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - better than all four into the wind. I never know whether it's better to start or end with a headwind.  Sometimes it will cool you off after you're heated, but sometimes it just wears you out when you're already tired.

HopesMom - what happened to the old quartet?

Today is probably a rest day. We'll either go for a short hike or mow the jungle out back or both. We've been waiting for it to dry out, but keep getting showers that soak it again, so it's getting lush.

Singer who runs a smidge

Our bari is moving to Florida, so I thought it was also time for me to step down.  There was a lot of drama that I'm just not interested in continuing, but more than that, I want to learn to sing with three new people.  I learned so much from my first quartet, I want to see what I can learn from a new one!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  My asthma and stomach reflux are pretty bad today, so I am just doing Pilates today and canceling my race this weekend.  It's fine, I'm not too sorry.  I prefer racing for fun and with this lack of breathing, the fun will not be as much fun.

HopeMom, I remember all the drama these people generated. Glad you are moving on to something better.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - I'm sorry your body is letting you down. I know this was supposed to one that you really raced (as opposed to running with your husband or a friend for fun), so I can definitely see cancelling when you know it will be a miserable experience.

We went for the short hike. The jungle can wait another day, especially since it's so humid it didn't really dry out.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks, Ginny. Yeah, if it had been a fun race with him, we would probably still go, but it does not sound fun for me to run in hot weather while struggling to breathe.  Meh.  I'll find another HM at some point. Smile

Damaris