Beginners and Beyond

Such is SaturDAILIES (Read 40 times)

onemile

Is there really that much of a difference in baking sweet potatoes in the oven for 2 hrs vs. sticking one in the microwave when I want it?

onemile

It's not about punishment but more about wanting to train in the way that I feel will most benefit me, even if some aspects of it seem daunting at times The mental side of racing long distances is not easy for me and TM running has always helped me before. Lately, though, I haven't been very good at it.

If my goal was to make every run as mentally tough as possible, I'd get burned out pretty quickly.  But I can see the other reasons for it and sometimes it is the most appealing option.  But I have a hard enough time marathon training without going out of my way to make it more difficult.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Is there really that much of a difference in baking sweet potatoes in the oven for 2 hrs vs. sticking one in the microwave when I want it?

2 hours less time in microwave. - that is a lot of difference.

Taste wise, I much much prefer baked... all that oven time makes the sugars come out... yum!

Health wise.. no clue.

Baboon

delicate flower

The get browned, slightly caramelized, and a little crunchy in some spots in the oven.  In the microwave, they get hot.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

If my goal was to make every run as mentally tough as possible, I'd get burned out pretty quickly.  But I can see the other reasons for it and sometimes it is the most appealing option.  But I have a hard enough time marathon training without going out of my way to make it more difficult.

And easy to accomplish!    Some chili or other highly acidic foods right before a workout...  sure to make me consider bailing

onemile

And easy to accomplish!    Some chili or other highly acidic foods right before a workout...  sure to make me consider bailing

But think of the mental toughness you would develop if you did a hard workout with that in your stomach!

happylily

But think of the mental toughness you would develop if you did a hard workout with that in your stomach!

I do that too...   I also do not drink water when it's hot and I'm still running in near 90F temperature, without a proper fan. Nothing logical about it. I'm just neglectful.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wonder where you could get a fan...

Damaris

LRB

Yes, it's like Chateaubriand versus cube steak. I'm serious.

happylily

I wonder where you could get a fan...

Don't tell me! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

Yes, it's like Chateaubriand versus cube steak. I'm serious.

Well I have cooked them in the oven before. Just not for 2 hours.  What temp do you use?

Hip Redux

Trick when making sweet potato fries.... nuke it (whole, with slits cut to release steam) in the microwave for 5-6 minutes.  Cool, peel and slice into fries, and coat in oil.    Now bake those suckers like at 400 degrees, 25 min or so - the microwave dries them out just enough so that they will crisp up on the outside in the oven.

This works best with the white flesh/purple skin japanese sweet potatoes.  I hate mushy sweet potato fries.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Instead of 2 hours in the regular oven, start the sweet potatoes in the microwave til they are just cooked. Then pop 'em in the oven (or toaster oven) to get them just right. Way less time, pretty much the same result. And now I want sweet potatoes. Off to the grocery store anyway.

LRB

Well I have cooked them in the oven before. Just not for 2 hours.  What temp do you use?

To be honest with you, the time and temperature are arbitrary. What you are trying to do is get the potatoes to pop open, and the sugars to ooze out. For this reason they must be put on a baking sheet or in a pan as it can get quite messy if the brown "syrup" starts dripping in the oven.

I usually start with 375 F for 90 minutes. At any point after that and up to two hours they could be ready, depending on the size and the quantity. So in theory, the y could be done before the two hour time-frame. For this reason you have to monitor them, and learn how to tell if they are ready by the eye.

I also leave them in the oven to cool off, so they get more time to marinate in the waning heat.

There is something to be said for the quality of potato as well, although I have been able to take the crappiest looking sweet potato and bake it into something yummy. It is better when they are from good stock.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oski, wouldn't they get mushy in the microwave?

Did baked kale chips today and OMG, ate them in 2 seconds.

7 on the TM done.  Now where is that martini?

Damaris