Beginners and Beyond

Remembrance dailies (Wednesday) (Read 45 times)

Zelanie

Morning!  There's a heat advisory in my area today.  It's also group track workout day.  That's a good combo, right?  The workout hasn't been sent yet, so I don't know what I'm running, either. Smile

12 years ago today I was getting ready for my first day of work as a substitute teacher.  I checked the news on my computer before I left, then had NPR on on the way there.  The full impact of what was happening didn't really sink in that day until after work.  But, unfortunately for me, it was a two-day sub job, so I had the class the next day as well.  The kids (4th graders) did pretty well though.

LRB

Supp!

Got 7 done at a 9:17 pace.  My lower back has been sore the last few days so I have been taking it easy this week.  I will get out after work for another short trot and if it is too hot and unbearable, I will hop on the belt.

On September 11, 2011, I was in the field doing inspections no different than today.  I first heard about it on the radio, but after tower one fell I actually drove home while on the clock and got my truck TV (yeah, I had one of those) to watch while I was on my route.

I was riveted by the images and the story for days and weeks later, but what I will remember most is how people came together in the aftermath.  Suddenly, no one was a stranger anymore.  You spoke to almost everyone you came across and felt as if your fellow American had your back, and you had theirs.

Then, as the weeks became months and the months became years, we went back to the petty bickering and the great divide that has defined us the past decade.  But for a short time there, America was one.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is Sep 11th.  Holidays for today:  National Hot Cross Buns Day; Make Your Bed Day; No News Is Good News Day; Patriot Day and National Day of Service & Remembrance; and Odd Day (9/11/13) with the next Odd Day being 11/13/15; it's a day to celebrate your personal or family oddities and oddities of the world.

hot cross buns cartoons, hot cross buns cartoon, hot cross buns picture, hot cross buns pictures, hot cross buns image, hot cross buns images, hot cross buns illustration, hot cross buns illustrations

world of his own cartoons, world of his own cartoon, world of his own picture, world of his own pictures, world of his own image, world of his own images, world of his own illustration, world of his own illustrations

world of his own cartoons, world of his own cartoon, world of his own picture, world of his own pictures, world of his own image, world of his own images, world of his own illustration, world of his own illustrations

Then no news really is good news...

photo eagle-god-bless-america_zps4e3d1927.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Last night I got 3.2 miles in around the university campus.   Temp was about 93 degrees and the humidity was a whopping 87%, as rain was threatening.  I was hoping it would rain on me as I ran, but no luck.   Right after I got back to the gym, then the rain started.  Darn that Mother Nature!

Today is a non-running day.   This morning I did a weight training circuit at the university gym.  I think I will start doing weights in the morning as I tend to get lazy after the work day and not want to go out and do them. And I really need to do them as it helps my back.   Gail is starting to do them too, on her doc's recommendation, to help her with bone density.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.9 miles for me today.

Marjorie

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

12 years ago today I was working for the same company as Phil - (HUGE company) and I was in a training class.  I left to go the ladies room and on my way back I saw people crowded around a TV so I stopped to look too.  I went back to class and said to the person next to me "I think a plane just crashed into the WTC."  We both got up and went back out - and by that time #2 had hit.  We didn't go back to class - but the teacher went on for the rest of the day even though word had spread pretty quickly.  I thought that was odd.

So far the most interesting part of my day was at 6:30 this am, while at the gym on the floor doing situps, a spider ran across the brim of my hat.

SusanRachel

No running today. I didn't get up early enough and we are already on lockdown for the night, so it will be an Insanity DVD for me.

Where was I?  I was working as a substitute doctor in Pennsylvania about 50 miles from Shanksville.  I was not yet in the military.  It was what happened that day that ultimately caused me to make the decision to raise my right hand.  I celebrated the 5th, 7th, and now 12th anniversaries of that day in Afghanistan and had just gotten home in time for the 9th.  I had no idea at the time how much 9/11 would change my life personally.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

12 years ago I was at work, with the company I am still with today - University of Texas at San Antonio.  We all got the news at work, since New York time is 1 hour ahead of us.  Not much work got done that day, and realizing that,  our Governor signed an executive order to send all non-emergency state workers home for the day so we could watch the news, get in contact with any friends or loved ones who might live in New York, and so forth.

Congrats to everyone who got in some miles this morning. Condolences to those who lost friends or family on 9/11.

Happy FE with Jenn, Damaris!  Give her a big hug for me!

Wow, that is some early morning running, FreeSoul!

I can relate to tired body, Oski, lol.  I haven't done my weight circuit for about 2 weeks - got scolded by my doc for it too.  After I finished this morning, I did a plank.  I managed to do it for a full minute, but my muscles were having little spasms after the weight training circuit, lol, and my arms were shaking a tad, trying to hold the plank position. Probably need to do the plank BEFORE the circuit.

If there is a heat advisory in your area, Zelanie, stay safe at your group run tonite.  Sunscreen, hat, have lots of water available.  Run easier than you normally do.   Stay safe!

Spider in the gym, MBC?  Guess they need to exercise too.  Joking  Or mabye it was there to set up an exercise WEBinar...

Thank you for your service, Doc Susan!  I know what you went through to even get into the Army and you have come a long way since then!  You ROCK, lady!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Spider in the gym, MBC?  Guess they need to exercise too.  Joking  Or mabye it was there to set up an exercise WEBinar...

O

M

G

CORNY!!!  LOL

Ric-G

was on my way to work and heard about it on the radio. stopped at my mom's and saw it on tv. we both saw the second tower fall. as many have said, it was surreal. went to work after but nothing got done. the company just let everyone leave early. so sad....

did run a total of 11 this AM with 10 @7:30. took car in for a new timing belt...fun. but today puts it all in perspective. be well everyone.

marathon pr - 3:16

Mmmmm...beer

7 miles done this morning before work.

12 years ago I was still in the Navy, stationed on an Air Force base in Colorado.  I was doing shift work and was in between shifts, so I was at home sleeping.  I had fallen asleep with the radio on, and that morning as reports were coming across the radio, they filtered into my dreams.  I remember having some crazy dreams, and then when I woke up I had a hard time believing what I was hearing on the radio.  I walked into the living room and turned on the tv right before the second tower got hit.

My apartment was directly across the street from the base, and Denver International Airport was right down the road, so there were was always some time of aircraft overhead.  The feeling was absolutely surreal to go outside and not hear any aircraft at all.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Will run for scenery.

12 years ago...   I was getting coffee and something on the radio sounded important.  I asked the girl there what happened, and in a super-non-concerned way she just said " Oh, some planes knocked down the WTC and there's one heading towards Washington."  I wasn't even close to believing her.  I went to my car to turn on the radio and find out what really happened.

At the time, I was co-teaching a class.  Once I realized what happened, I told my friend that we should probably let students take the day off. He was shocked : "Why ? Do you think any of them are from NYC ?"

Those two reactions were pretty shocking to me.  I never realized how emotionally detached seemingly "normal" people can be.

In other news, my rib is doing okay.  Still hurts and all, but not getting worse and not going to put the kibosh on my running.  I am now officially registered for the Mt Taylor 50k on Sept. 28 - my first ultra !!!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

In other news, my rib is doing okay.  Still hurts and all, but not getting worse and not going to put the kibosh on my running.  I am now officially registered for the Mt Taylor 50k on Sept. 28 - my first ultra !!!

Good luck!

- Andrew

Jess runs for bacon

12 years ago...   I was getting coffee and something on the radio sounded important.  I asked the girl there what happened, and in a super-non-concerned way she just said " Oh, some planes knocked down the WTC and there's one heading towards Washington."  I wasn't even close to believing her.  I went to my car to turn on the radio and find out what really happened.

At the time, I was co-teaching a class.  Once I realized what happened, I told my friend that we should probably let students take the day off. He was shocked : "Why ? Do you think any of them are from NYC ?"

Those two reactions were pretty shocking to me.  I never realized how emotionally detached seemingly "normal" people can be.

I had one whopping customer that day. I asked her why she wasn't at home with her family, and she just shrugged. I was so pissed because it was people like her that kept corporate from sending us home.

Congrats on the 50k!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

One of our university donors, Susan McGee, was IN the city on 9/11.  She and her boss were there from San Antonio for a business meeting (Susan is an exec with US Global Investors, headquartered here in San Antonio) and they were actually supposed to meet in one of the Twin Towers. But early that morning, the guy they were supposed to meet asked if they could come to his other downtown office instead.  They were actually on the street walking to the appointment when the first attack began.  Scary!

Susan, by the way, is the mother of Stephen McGee, who at one time was the Dallas Cowboys backup quarterback. She is a very nice lady.