Beginners and Beyond

Runner attacked by Lion, Killed it (Read 34 times)

delicate flower

Regardless of the size and health of the MOUNTAIN LION, killing it at the very least sends a stern message to other mountain lions that they might want to think twice next time before attacking a runner.

<3

onemile

did you read how many stitches he needed? The cat was attacking and wouldn't quit.  "Kitten" or not.

DavePNW

It does sound like an extreme reaction. I'll bet the guy didn't even try scritching the cat behind its ears first.

Dave

RunningOnSand

It does sound like an extreme reaction. I'll bet the guy didn't even try scritching the cat behind its ears first.

My cat likes to be scritched behind her ears. And also on her back. Sometimes even on her chin, too, depending on her mood.

did you read how many stitches he needed? The cat was attacking and wouldn't quit.  "Kitten" or not.

This.  Also what Docket said.

Pepper spray first, apologize later.  No one ever didn't get murdered because they waited to see if the attacking thing was serious or not.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don’t blame him. You are not rationally analyzing if it’s a baby and whether there are other ways. If I am not the lion whisperer I’m going to attempt survival and fuck the rest.

True, it just seems odd if they're telling the truth about it's age because that is like smaller than Rocky... I mean if it is true than hell you could literally kick the little bastard like a football.... but I wasn't there so I have no idea how wild and insane the animal was.

If it were me, yes I'd have beat the shit out of it but I've never dealt with mountain lions or their young cubs, hell I've never had a run in with a bobcat around here and I've no doubt those things would give me all 9 kinds of hell.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

True, it just seems odd if they're telling the truth about it's age because that is like smaller than Rocky... I mean if it is true than hell you could literally kick the little bastard like a football.... but I wasn't there so I have no idea how wild and insane the animal was.

If it were me, yes I'd have beat the shit out of it but I've never dealt with mountain lions or their young cubs, hell I've never had a run in with a bobcat around here and I've no doubt those things would give me all 9 kinds of hell.

It was latched onto his arm the whole time. Only when he suffocated it, did it release its bite

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It was latched onto his arm the whole time. Only when he suffocated it, did it release its bite

That's why I prefer to run with dogs and pepper spray, and also why I am so happy that where I live we only have like coyotes and bobcats and whitetail deer and loose dogs to worry about. Any mountain lions that come into IN usually stay up in the middle and is passing through.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Supposedly the necropsy came back and they claim the cat was only 3-4 months old and barely 24 lbs but since it looked scavenged they guessed it could have been 40 lbs.

We all remember Pinky The Cat. Take his weight and times it by a factor of 4.

LRB

The kitty just wanted playtime.

DavePNW

Now I want to see a pic of the arm that the kitty chomped on.

Dave

RunningOnSand

We all remember Pinky The Cat. Take his weight and times it by a factor of 4.

I had not remembered that, but I got a good chuckle. OMG. Poor guy. Cats' bites can be really dangerous. My friend was hospitalized for four days from being bitten by her own cat!

RunningOnSand

The kitty just wanted playtime.

Sad

onemile

RunningOnSand

Just google raw meat. I'm sure it'll resemble something like that.

ETA: Onemile's pic is better.