Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #55 (Read 29 times)

onemile

So, from my Stryd calibration quest from yesterday, idk if anyone will find this useful, but there seems to be a number of people out there (I am guessing I am included in this, just based off my TM runs and outdoor runs, with its indicated pace) that are about 4-5% off from what Stryd is displaying. Just in case you guys want to know - and yeah you need to calibrate it then. Here.

If I were to calibrate it on a track, it would still be wayy off on the treadmill though... do you think yours is off outside?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think it depends on the airline, too. Differing airlines have different rules. Some suck. Some are awesome.

So, from my Stryd calibration quest from yesterday, idk if anyone will find this useful, but there seems to be a number of people out there (I am guessing I am included in this, just based off my TM runs and outdoor runs, with its indicated pace) that are about 4-5% off from what Stryd is displaying. Just in case you guys want to know - and yeah you need to calibrate it then. Here.

Otherwise, workout wise I did a 30 min strength training workout, and really want to run today (it is sunny and will be WARM!), but not sure the Achilles is having it. Maybe I'll go for a test run that I can abort, and turn into a walk, if necessary.

Except for the TM, my calibration seems to be good give or take 1% if at all that much. But I have read it depends on the runner. Some need to put the calibration at 98% others at 101.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Well I think the main thing is the race can only control who participates in the race, and only the government decides who can get into the country.

Just wondering if it's an interim measure--put it on the event  to cancel to hope people don't come. Suspending travel is seen as the nuclear,  last resort option.  At least to me. Basically dissuade people from visiting  vs telling them not allowed.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What I like about the stryd is the consistency it has. While the GPS will vary on the same route on a Wednesday versus windy versus whatever satellites it takes, the stryd is always consistent and that’s good enough for me. Except on the treadmill

Damaris

Cyberic

LRB, I was checking out your log, just because, and I saw the countdown widget, and that gave me the idea to put one up for myself also.  222 days for me, 229 for you. I guess we like to take the time to do things properly 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Got an email from one of my races that says they might not have the medals in time because of the situation in China (the manufacturers closed). I suspect that will get worse in that and other businesses as the months go by. At least from what I have read, the medal makers are mostly in China.

Damaris

Cyberic

What I like about the stryd is the consistency it has. While the GPS will vary on the same route on a Wednesday versus windy versus whatever satellites it takes, the stryd is always consistent and that’s good enough for me. Except on the treadmill 

I also find that when there's a lot of snow or slush the Stryd is not consistent as it usually is. I probably change my form/gait too much, so I put  distance/pace back to "Indoor only" for the remainder of winter.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I also find that when there's a lot of snow or slush the Stryd is not consistent as it usually is. I probably change my form/gait too much, so I put  distance/pace back to "Indoor only" for the remainder of winter.

You mean for distance and speed? Yeah. The day I ran in the slush was a bit off but mostly because I kept jumping instead of running. But for power I find it good even on those days.

Damaris

Cyberic

You mean for distance and speed? Yeah. The day I ran in the slush was a bit off but mostly because I kept jumping instead of running. But for power I find it good even on those days.

Not me. I find that when I run in snow I pretty much get power readings corresponding to my pace, when in fact I'm working way harder than that.

But yeah, in my previous post I meant pace and distance

sdWhiskers

Probably due to lack of tall buildings and lack of weather, but my GPS always measures the same for same routes here. I was on the fence with getting a Stryd but so far I think I'm ok without it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Probably due to lack of tall buildings and lack of weather, but my GPS always measures the same for same routes here. I was on the fence with getting a Stryd but so far I think I'm ok without it.

The stryd works around the tall buildings like in Chicago so long as it’s set as always reading from it. It will be consistent during my next Chicago.

And it’s been pretty consistent so far this Winter for me.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

I wonder if they hope international runners will cancel their trips entirely? Then you hff ave less people traveling?

A lot of them are there already!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

LRB, I was checking out your log, just because, and I saw the countdown widget, and that gave me the idea to put one up for myself also.  222 days for me, 229 for you. I guess we like to take the time to do things properly 

Ha, I have no idea what I’m doing in the fall. Well of course I do have some ideas (CIM), but nothing remotely firm, and not really thinking about it much. I’ve never used that countdown widget, I just always know how many weeks out I am to an upcoming goal race (i.e., 10).

Dave

LRB

I was within a step or two of .24 on the inside lane at the track consistently and that was good enough for me (ditto .49, .74 and .99). I don't necessarily  need 100% accuracy, since there is no way to know what that is without equipment and someone to properly measure the surface that is being used to calibrate it.

The distance I'm getting from the pod is consistent and isn't far off from my known routes, so I'm good.

I haven't run on a treadmill with it yet so I can't speak to it, but unless the treadmill was recently calibrated, you just really don't know what is accurate.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Stryd forum because the technical support team is active on it.

LRB

Ha, I have no idea what I’m doing in the fall. Well of course I do have some ideas (CIM), but nothing remotely firm, and not really thinking about it much. I’ve never used that countdown widget, I just always know how many weeks out I am to an upcoming goal race (i.e., 10).

I had never done it until New York.