Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #55 (Read 29 times)

LRB

LRB, I was checking out your log, just because, and I saw the countdown widget, and that gave me the idea to put one up for myself also.  222 days for me, 229 for you. I guess we like to take the time to do things properly 

It'll be my earliest fall marathon and I'm just hoping I don't internally combust. 🔥

Cyberic

It'll be my earliest fall marathon and I'm just hoping I don't internally combust. 🔥

You have 229 days to get prepared for heat. Get to it right away, and you should be good 

bluerun

Super B****

Most people don't plan to do that

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

I just checked and it is currently 48 degrees out 

RunningOnSand

If I were to calibrate it on a track, it would still be wayy off on the treadmill though... do you think yours is off outside?

It's more like I was totally and utterly shocked my first 2 splits/miles were so slow on Saturday! Re: the effort I was expending. BUT, I know I'm super out of shape, so it could just be that - that I am that slow, lol. But I kind of want to find a track to test it out, just to make sure. 

RunningOnSand

Except for the TM, my calibration seems to be good give or take 1% if at all that much. But I have read it depends on the runner. Some need to put the calibration at 98% others at 101.

I was within a step or two of .24 on the inside lane at the track consistently and that was good enough for me (ditto .49, .74 and .99). I don't necessarily  need 100% accuracy, since there is no way to know what that is without equipment and someone to properly measure the surface that is being used to calibrate it.

The distance I'm getting from the pod is consistent and isn't far off from my known routes, so I'm good.

I haven't run on a treadmill with it yet so I can't speak to it, but unless the treadmill was recently calibrated, you just really don't know what is accurate.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Stryd forum because the technical support team is active on it.

I'll check out the Stryd forum -- you're right that it's probably way more attended to.

Yours sounds like it matches very closely (those numbers wouldn't bother me, either), but if I'm one of the oddballs that is in the 4 or 5% off category, that would make a difference to me, and I'd want to be gauging not only my effort but also my paces accurately. Plus, I have had thoughts about going back to my old coach, seeing how I didn't really have a debilitating injury during the 2+ years I was working with him, and I just had to run on my own for a few months before this dumb AT thing was back.  Where I'm getting with this, is that he prescribes tough workouts by pace (probs like most other coaches) and I don't want to be working 5% harder with him. The thought terrifies me, lol.

ETA: the funny thing about this whole thing, is that I'll probably find out Stryd is 100% accurate, and it's just me that sucks so much now.   Big grin

LRB

Most people don't plan to do that

onemile

I'll check out the Stryd forum -- you're right that it's probably way more attended to.

Yours sounds like it matches very closely (those numbers wouldn't bother me, either), but if I'm one of the oddballs that is in the 4 or 5% off category, that would make a difference to me, and I'd want to be gauging not only my effort but also my paces accurately. Plus, I have had thoughts about going back to my old coach, seeing how I didn't really have a debilitating injury during the 2+ years I was working with him, and I just had to run on my own for a few months before this dumb AT thing was back.  Where I'm getting with this, is that he prescribes tough workouts by pace (probs like most other coaches) and I don't want to be working 5% harder with him. The thought terrifies me, lol.

ETA: the funny thing about this whole thing, is that I'll probably find out Stryd is 100% accurate, and it's just me that sucks so much now.   Big grin

if you don't have issues with GPS accuracy outside, why would you use Stryd as your speed source? (I don't)

onemile

I ran 8 at lunchtime

Cyberic

if you don't have issues with GPS accuracy outside, why would you use Stryd as your speed source? (I don't)

This. Nothing wrong with GPS.

DavePNW

Mona Monday! Felt a bit more consistent and under control than last time. Maybe a tiny bit faster, IDK, it’s a lot of splits to compare. Prob won’t bother. 8 miles total.

Dave

onemile

Mona Monday! Felt a bit more consistent and under control than last time. Maybe a tiny bit faster, IDK, it’s a lot of splits to compare. Prob won’t bother. 8 miles total.

the best way to compare is to add up the distance. you can just excel sum it.

DavePNW

the best way to compare is to add up the distance. you can just excel sum it.

Or just take the total and subtract warmup & cooldown. Anyway looks like they were pretty damn close - 2.91 last week, 2.87 today. Although last week’s is fudged; because of my watch snafu the first 1:30 was only 1:00, so I am extrapolating.

Dave

RunningOnSand

This. Nothing wrong with GPS.

So you guys only do Speed on Indoor? Not Always? What about distance? (I had previously had Stryd on "always" for both distance and speed).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So you guys only do Speed on Indoor? Not Always? What about distance? (I had previously had Stryd on "always" for both distance and speed).

I have mine both as always to keep it consistent. GPS and Stryd will almost match every time (within a margin of error) unless running in downtown or on a track where the GPS goes loco. Otherwise, it does not make a huge difference to have it in one or the other.

Damaris