Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: In Search Of (Read 39 times)

LRB

True, a HM (which I hate) can be subbed for a LR with added miles so no biggie.  But a 5K would be a waste of training time unless you could sub it for an interval session which might be odd to do in a race.

Good luck, Z!

It doesn't apply to Jenny (or you), but sometimes you just want to get back into the race day routine and atmosphere, while waiting to get back in race shape.

Zelanie

No stress fracture.  Shin splints! So I feel like a bit of an over-reacter. The thing to watch for is that if I have shin splints at this point in the cycle, it could very well become a stress fracture if I don't take care of it.

But the good news is, I can run! Here is the plan:

Running only on soft surfaces, absolutely no TM or concrete.

Don't wear shoes with more than 300 miles.

Aircast during the day when not running.

Daily exercises/ stretching following his plan

One run a week on the Alter G. Probably my interval workout although if it works in their schedule we could make it my LR. Insurance will pay for Alter G because they will call it PT.

So, I theoretically have a MP pace workout tonight. I think it's 10 with 7 @ MP. I haven't run in over 2 weeks. I am so so tempted to just go do it. Maybe at the track for the surface.

onemile

So, I theoretically have a MP pace workout tonight. I think it's 10 with 7 @ MP. I haven't run in over 2 weeks. I am so so tempted to just go do it. Maybe at the track for the surface.

Good news. I would take it easy on your first few runs back.

onemile

It doesn't apply to Jenny (or you), but sometimes you just want to get back into the race day routine and atmosphere, while waiting to get back in race shape.

I get that and have raced before for that reason.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Z, great news!  I agree with onemile, do not go out and do that yet.

LRB, yes, but a 5K?  It's hard to just go there to enjoy the experience, especially since onemile has been seeking a specific goal in this season.  I wouldn't even drive 40 minutes for anything like that!

Damaris

Zelanie

What do you guys think about same distance, easy pace?

onemile

I have twice gotten injured after jumping right into training after taking some time off for vacations.  Maybe a coincidence? But you are already injured.  So I might not push my luck

Zelanie

I have twice gotten injured after jumping right into training after taking some time off for vacations.  Maybe a coincidence? But you are already injured.  So I might not push my luck

Sigh. I hate it when I hear the voice of reason.

LRB

Logic dictates a run of 30 - 35 minutes to give the body its WTF moment, but if runners used logic, we wouldn't run as much as we do in the first place. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would use something like Pfitz' recovery after marathon plan.  It's 4-5 weeks and it increases a bit every week.  I used it post surgery and, although I ran more than it said, it's a good template to start.

Damaris

LRB

Z, great news!  I agree with onemile, do not go out and do that yet.

LRB, yes, but a 5K?  It's hard to just go there to enjoy the experience, especially since onemile has been seeking a specific goal in this season.  I wouldn't even drive 40 minutes for anything like that!

I would, and have. Not necessarily to "enjoy" it but to do something specific like get dressed for a race and go through the protocol.

I don't expect anyone to understand that but we all have different ways of handling the return to competitive running.

Zelanie

Logic dictates a run of 30 - 35 minutes to give the body its WTF moment, but if runners used logic, we wouldn't run as much as we do in the first place. lol

So maybe I do a combo then. I feel like I've missed so much training that I don't want to miss any more. But I packed for the pool, I can go there after work and then do a 30 min run.

Actually, there's a middle school track right at the pool. With proper packing, I could do both in one stop on future days

delicate flower

Running only on soft surfaces, absolutely no TM or concrete.

Why no TM?  Just curious.  It is probably the softest surface you can run on.  They are designed to absorb shock.   Good news though!!

ETA:  When recovering from knee surgery, I was told only treadmill.

<3

LRB

So maybe I do a combo then. I feel like I've missed so much training that I don't want to miss any more. But I packed for the pool, I can go there after work and then do a 30 min run.

Actually, there's a middle school track right at the pool. With proper packing, I could do both in one stop on future days

You might be good to go given the relatively short amount of time you were off and the extra work you put in. Daniels has a return to running chart that I always glance at to give me an idea of the parameters in which I should operate.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would, and have. Not necessarily to "enjoy" it but to do something specific like get dressed for a race and go through the protocol.

I don't expect anyone to understand that but we all have different ways of handling the return to competitive running.

I get it, I just don't consider 3 miles worth paying that much money and waking up before dawn for that purpose.

Damaris