Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies - 25% bonus humidity at the same low price! (Read 37 times)

onemile

Yep. My thinking exactly. Now the question is do I want to start my marathon training with a 50K LR? 

lol

onemile

I ran 6 with 4x5 min at 7:30 pace. Still humid AF. Supposed to cool down tomorrow.

Can't.Wait.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

SIAR - Thanks for the photos and the race report - nicely done.  Congrats on a race well run.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I saw the most impressive things on the downhills...there were two decents our there of 900ft down in 1 mile. I ran those at about a 13:00 pace, just trying to find footing and stay up right. On both of those drops, I was passed by women that were running 6:00 pace. I mean they were just gone in an instant, absolutely bombing down the hills! The only thing I can equate it to is when you're on a bike, and someone just has a better bike than you, and they go whizzing by, and then they're gone.

Congrats and great job on the race!  That's an incredibly impressive finish, given your experience on that type of terrain.  And thanks for posting the photos.  Looked like a beautiful day.

Yes, if you're not used to barreling down steep rocky hills, others will blow by you like that.  In my first mountain race, it was the steep loose-footing downhills that completely trashed my body, and I think half the field passed me on the downhills, not the uphills.

And I agree that the singletrack at the start probably did you a huge favor keeping your pace nice and easy for the first half.  Very well done!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Cyberic

Great sights!

I was totally uninterested in hills and trails until I ran them. It's another level of running that is really cool. I've now run trails and/or hills in four states (including WV), each with its own distinct quality.

I would love to enter a race but finding something in the 6 - 9 mile range for trail events is like looking for a four leaf clover lol

I have never really run trails, as a runner, I mean. I have as a kid and all. But not as a sport like I do it now. I might try that after my marathon to maybe have something to look forward to. I definitely need to try.

Cyberic

I ran 6 with 4x5 min at 7:30 pace. Still humid AF. Supposed to cool down tomorrow.

Nice workout

delicate flower

How YOU doin'??

Love the write up!  Sounds like the ladies on that downhill just have the experience and know-how to do that.  I shuffle down a little 30 yard downhill in my off-road triathlon run, so I'd definitely go very slow down something a mile long like you describe.  Love the pics.  Looks like a great place to mountain bike.

<3

LRB

I have never really run trails, as a runner, I mean. I have as a kid and all. But not as a sport like I do it now. I might try that after my marathon to maybe have something to look forward to. I definitely need to try.

Most trail vets will sell you on the sights, the serenity or the fact that you're in nature, but I've come to appreciate the challenge of navigating them more than anything. All the other stuff is basically gravy, and I love me some gravy. Big grin

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Most trail vets will sell you on the sights, the serenity or the fact that you're in nature, but I've come to appreciate the challenge of navigating them more than anything. All the other stuff is basically gravy, and I love me some gravy. Big grin

Ah, but there's much more than that.... biting bugs, poison ivy, thorns, mud that make you throw out your socks, cussing at yourself for falling, laughing at yourself for falling, and don't forget the lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!  How could anyone not love that little slice of heaven? 

3/17 - NYC Half

LRB

How YOU doin'??

lol

I injured my hip trying to brake down a steep hill while running once. Had I known then what I know now, I would've simply walked down it. Since then I've learned how to lean into the descent and keep my feet turning over at a high rate. It's wild because it's a velocity you never really run, so you're like holy shit for a lot of it.

Cyberic

Ah, but there's much more than that.... biting bugs, poison ivy, thorns, mud that make you throw out your socks, cussing at yourself for falling, laughing at yourself for falling, and don't forget the lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!  How could anyone not love that little slice of heaven? 

Yeah, there's that, however. I have my mother's skin, and that means bugs LOVE me. In a group of 10 people, I'm pretty much always the one with the cloud of bugs around my head while the others are wondering what I'm complaining about. My daughter has inherited that from me. Poor her.

onemile

Yeah, there's that, however. I have my mother's skin, and that means bugs LOVE me. In a group of 10 people, I'm pretty much always the one with the cloud of bugs around my head while the others are wondering what I'm complaining about. My daughter has inherited that from me. Poor her.

I read that it has something to do with the amount of cholesterol on your skin.  That makes you tastier to mosquitoes

Bert-o

I lost my rama

IIRC, you're pretty tall.  A lot of the flying bugs will go to the highest point.  Growing up, we'd often raise our hands to get the bugs away from our heads.  But not a solution for running.  I mostly run by myself in the woods, so I'm the only meal available.  It becomes motivation to move faster.

3/17 - NYC Half

LRB

My first time on a trail I thought I was being tracked by a bear. Lasted for like 2 miles, scariest shit ever. What I didn't know (because I couldn't see above me) was that there was a hot air balloon festival going on and I was following them. So all of the "snorting" and "grunting" I heard was actually the flame torch releasing! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I read that it has something to do with the amount of cholesterol on your skin.  That makes you tastier to mosquitoes

That's interesting to know.  When I'm out with DW, she'll get eaten by mosquitoes, whereas I wouldn't (as much).

3/17 - NYC Half