Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies - 25% bonus humidity at the same low price! (Read 37 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's interesting to know.  When I'm out with DW, she'll get eaten by mosquitoes, whereas I wouldn't (as much).

Same thing with me and husband!  Guess who is always bitten all over (he is fucking lucky, I tell you).

Damaris

LRB

I read that it has something to do with the amount of cholesterol on your skin.  That makes you tastier to mosquitoes

lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I read that it has something to do with the amount of cholesterol on your skin.  That makes you tastier to mosquitoes

Interesting.  My husband has higher cholesterol than me and I get bitten!  There has to be a spouse exception, I bet. 

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Broken treadmills, broken lungs and too much humidity. That about sums up the dailies today.

SIAR--Great photos and sounds like a great experience!

Rest day for me. Lots of people talk about running on the trails as part of injury prevention (less pounding). However for me, I ache more after a trail run. And it's not like it's something I never do. Between training cycles and for the first month or so of a cycle, I'll do one trail run each week, anywhere from 3-10 miles nice and easy. My knees ache afterwards, I'll have a blister on my foot and maybe pain in my glute. Put me on the road or sidewalk and all is good.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Interesting.  My husband has higher cholesterol than me and I get bitten!  There has to be a spouse exception, I bet. 

DW says her blood is sweeter than mine, or in other words, my blood is more sour.  I don't mind the dig if it keeps the mosquitoes away. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Bert-o...I don't even know that the downhill footing was loose, it was more just so riddled with large rocks and the like that there were very few foot placements. Regardless, I wasn't very good at it Smile

LRB...I know they say that the short, choppy steps are the key to getting moving downhill. I can do it, but I feel like I'm expending a ton of energy too. These folks looked effortless. Oh, and I hear hot air balloons are dangerous too haha!

Cyberic...that's terrible about the bugs. My mother is like that as well. I'm always asking what the heck she's complaining about, as they seem to have no interest in me.

SD...I get what you're saying about trails still leaving you feeling a little beat up. As long as by nice and easy you meant effort and not pace, then I guess it's just the difference in terrain and the muscles being used that lead to the soreness for you. I didn't like the trail for an awful long time before I finally came around on it. Even still, I'm a road runner at heart.

Thanks in general for the comments guys. I was definitely happy with the result, even though just having the experience was my primary motivation for it.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

DW says her blood is sweeter than mine, or in other words, my blood is more sour.  I don't mind the dig if it keeps the mosquitoes away. 

Oh, yeah.  That must be it.  I am sure people call me sweet...

Damaris

Cyberic

Oh, yeah.  That must be it.  I am sure people call me sweet...

LOL.

Yeah I'm tall, but I don't think that's the only reason (although I'm glad I've learned that today) as my daughter is the shortest of the family and she has "sweet blood" too.

Cyberic

Hmmm. Tall, ok. But cholesterol on my skin??? Weird one. I'm so skinny, I have a hard time seeing myself with cholesterol anywhere. But WTF do I know about those things?

I always thought it was because I have a high metabolism, and I generate lots of heat.

onemile

Hmmm. Tall, ok. But cholesterol on my skin??? Weird one. I'm so skinny, I have a hard time seeing myself with cholesterol anywhere. But WTF do I know about those things?

I always thought it was because I have a high metabolism, and I generate lots of heat.

link

Bert-o

I lost my rama

My first time on a trail I thought I was being tracked by a bear. Lasted for like 2 miles, scariest shit ever. What I didn't know (because I couldn't see above me) was that there was a hot air balloon festival going on and I was following them. So all of the "snorting" and "grunting" I heard was actually the flame torch releasing! 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

SIAR- Great RR and photos! You ran a great race. Probably getting bogged down on that single track was the best thing that could have happened. That is one awesome negative split. I’ve never done any trail running myself but I’m amazed by the videos of people bombing down steep technical trails. Looks like so much fun.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

link

Very interesting

These people simply may be more efficient at processing cholesterol, the byproducts of which remain on the skin's surface.

This doesn't bode well for people who emit large quantities of carbon dioxide.

IIRC, people with high metabolisms emit large quantities of carbon dioxide. But I might very well be wrong on that.

But, what is the most probable cause, for me, is my steroid abuse.

KCRuns

Great RR and photos SIAR!  Congrats on a great race and experience!

I struggled on my run yesterday.  My legs felt so tired and sore, so I slow jogged a mile to the lake to keep my streak alive, and then switched my garmin to walk mode for another 4 miles.  I think that really helped.  My legs are not 100% today, but they feel much much better.

Today is Day 1 of a new marathon training cycle for Chicago and also my first time ever following a professional plan (I went with McMillan).  I'm really happy to just wake up and run what I'm told to run.  And I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with a properly planned training schedule.

Mondays on the plan are either a rest day or an easy run, so my Monday group run will still fit right in, we usually get 3-3.5 miles, so that should work just fine.  And, that's today's run plan - 3-3.5 with the group Smile

Cyberic

My first time on a trail I thought I was being tracked by a bear. Lasted for like 2 miles, scariest shit ever. What I didn't know (because I couldn't see above me) was that there was a hot air balloon festival going on and I was following them. So all of the "snorting" and "grunting" I heard was actually the flame torch releasing! 

Too bad it didn't sound like a cheetah. You could have beat your mile PR!