Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES Here we go again (Read 34 times)

Cyberic

The BAA could not resist the Twitter storm...I'M IN, BABY!!

Of course you are! But can't relax until it's official!

DavePNW

Thanks! DH and I have never been out to the west coast so I figured maybe we would try to make a trip out of it and I would do a marathon out there (or east coast..just looking for an excuse to travel), and the coast looks beautiful. I saw Rock n Roll Seattle is around the same time, but I haven't heard great things about rock n roll races. I had originally wanted to do Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, it's only a 6 hour drive, but hotels sky rocket for the race and it's been warm for it the last few years...If you have any other recommendations I'll look at those too!

Yup, a lot of people like to vacation at the Oregon coast, it all depends what kind of vacation you're looking for.

If you like more urban sightseeing, do R&R Seattle. Seattle is a great place to visit. It's in mid-June - a good time of year for vacationing, if maybe not so much for marathoning. It's cooler here in mid-June than other places, but still could be pretty warm. And it's hilly. Damaris has done it. I have done neither this nor the regular Seattle Marathon (held Thangsgiving weekend), because I have been trying to avoid hilly.

Probably my favorite race in the PNW was Eugene - late April. It's a cool town in itself (home University of Oregon, which DS just had his first classes as a freshman today). An hour west is the coast, or 2 hrs east is a really nice high desert region with a lot to see & do - that was where we spent our vacation a couple weeks ago. Decent chance of rain that time of year though.

Feel free to PM me any other questions.

Dave

LRB

Yes, exactly. I was annoyed with all the initial fuss, then found myself succumbing to the paranoia as the days went by.

DavePNW

Wait, when exactly does it become official?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yup, a lot of people like to vacation at the Oregon coast, it all depends what kind of vacation you're looking for.

If you like more urban sightseeing, do R&R Seattle. Seattle is a great place to visit. It's in mid-June - a good time of year for vacationing, if maybe not so much for marathoning. It's cooler here in mid-June than other places, but still could be pretty warm. And it's hilly. Damaris has done it. I have done neither this nor the regular Seattle Marathon (held Thangsgiving weekend), because I have been trying to avoid hilly.

Probably my favorite race in the PNW was Eugene - late April. It's a cool town in itself (home University of Oregon, which DS just had his first classes as a freshman today). An hour west is the coast, or 2 hrs east is a really nice high desert region with a lot to see & do - that was where we spent our vacation a couple weeks ago. Decent chance of rain that time of year though.

Feel free to PM me any other questions.

RnR Seattle is an awesome race but hilly

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

4 meh miles.

Damaris

LRB

Wait, when exactly does it become official?

It's different for everybody but for me, when that runner's passport showed up in the mail I was like, aw shit; it's on now!

DavePNW

It's different for everybody but for me, when that runner's passport showed up in the mail I was like, aw shit; it's on now!

Well getting the email is way better than just "knowing I'll get in". I'm a little verklempt.

Dave

LRB

Well getting the email is way better than just "knowing I'll get in". I'm a little verklempt.

You done good.

DavePNW

You done good.

I'm now just about out of people I can tell about it, who actually GAF.

Dave

onemile

time to start telling your co-workers, your family, strangers at the gas station...

GinnyinPA

Dave - I'm glad you finally got your confirmation. It's really official when you get the postcard, in the mail but that takes a while.

onemile

As for what's next I am working on that. One thing for sure is it won't be another course like yesterday. Put with CIM and Boston from 2016 (I didn't race in 2017) I've had my fill of running up and down during a race. I'm done with that nonsense.

do I recall you had an interest in running Houston?

LRB

Where are you staying and when are you arriving in town? Will you be drinking before the race? Is the fam going with you? Good luck getting out of the finisher's corral, it's easily a half mile long. lol

LRB

do I recall you had an interest in running Houston?

Yes. It was an Olympic qualifier, it's in January (or was) and attracted me for reasons yet unknown.