Beginners and Beyond

Potentially Big Blizzard (Read 176 times)

We are suppose to be 12-30 inches.  I have a 6 miler and 12 miler scheduled.  Should be interesting!

SusanRachel

Pet peeve: a lot of snow does not equal a blizzard.  A blizzard requires a wind component.  I believe sustained 30mph, but I'd have to google that.  If it doesn't have the wind component, it's a bad snow storm, not a blizzard.  It is similar to horrendous straight-line winds are not a tornado.  Tornadoes rotate.  You can get a ton of damage from bad straight line winds, but it if doesn't rotate, it still isn't a tornado.  The reporters should actually look this stuff up before writing about it.

Village people

It should be interesting. I think I'll buy a new shovel.

Hip Redux

A blizzard watch has been called for Boston by the National Weather Service and neighboring areas, and it's likely the watch will be expanded.

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/USMA0046?phenomena=BZ&significance=A&areaid=MAZ015&office=KBOX&etn=0001

Pet peeve: a lot of snow does not equal a blizzard.  A blizzard requires a wind component.  I believe sustained 30mph, but I'd have to google that.  If it doesn't have the wind component, it's a bad snow storm, not a blizzard.  It is similar to horrendous straight-line winds are not a tornado.  Tornadoes rotate.  You can get a ton of damage from bad straight line winds, but it if doesn't rotate, it still isn't a tornado.  The reporters should actually look this stuff up before writing about it.

Feh. My Sunday LR of ten miles will be done on the TM:/

You gonna eat that?

Snow is variable; 1" of snow and 30" of snow could be the same amount of moisture.

I've got a 10 mile race in Western NY scheduled for Saturday. It will likely morph into a supported training run.

SusanRachel

http://www.weather.gov/

Boston area is the ONLY place in the country with a blizzard watch (meaning blizzard conditions MIGHT happen).  Everyone else has winter weather advisories and winter storm watches.

A blizzard watch has been called for Boston by the National Weather Service and neighboring areas, and it's likely the watch will be expanded.

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/USMA0046?phenomena=BZ&significance=A&areaid=MAZ015&office=KBOX&etn=0001

Hip Redux

That's exactly what I said.  But thanks for saying it again. lol

And if we're being accurate, parts of RI and the southern and northern shores of the Boston area are under the same blizzard watch.

I've got a 10 mile race in Western NY scheduled for Saturday. It will likely morph into a supported training run.

The one in Lockport?  The worst forecast I've seen is 3-5 inches on Friday night.  I may be optimistic, but the plows could have that all cleaned up by Sat. morning.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I think my area is expecting about 8 inches. Please shoot me. I am so done with winter.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Just B.S.

I'm in Eastern Canada.

I heard on the local news tonight that we can expect anywhere from 25-30 inches. But it's the high

winds that will be the real problem. They are saying white out conditions.

Saying it's going to be our first real n'oreaster in several years.

Village people

http://www.weather.gov/

Boston area is the ONLY place in the country with a blizzard watch (meaning blizzard conditions MIGHT happen).  Everyone else has winter weather advisories and winter storm watches.

My local weather channel always clarifies the blizzard part. We are gettting a big pile of snow that will make my rural roads impassable for awhile and likely knock out power. Of course, I might just need my broom to dust of my driveway. I'm still buying more shovels!

SusanRachel

Weather here on Friday/Saturday: High 68, Low 48.  Partly sunny.  Anyone from up north wanna come visit and go for a run in shorts and short sleeves?  I have room.  Smile

RSX

Boston is looking at 16-24 for a 36 hour window starting Friday morning. Usually the western and northern parts of the state get it worse but maybe not this time. Our newscasters are reminiscing about our Blizzard of 78 all week when it was 2 feet+ sending a panic to everyone which means it's too late to buy water, batteries, and milk. My wife and most teachers are rooting for a snow day.

LRB

I think my area is expecting about 8 inches. Please shoot me. I am so done with winter.

Really doe!

I'm just trying to get out of February.  Around these parts, once you do that, you usually have it made.  Of course there may be residuals, but for the most part the misery is over.

We had the most pleasant winter arguably of my lifetime last year too, so it's hard to be so antsy but yeah, come on March!