Beginners and Beyond

The Weekend Penguins (Read 24 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Morning Jerry.

4 miles done and now I have a Skywarn class this morning to get to.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Going into the 40's today, so LR (10 miles) for us.  Might have to be on the streets since the bike path is still slushy/icy.  Otherwise a quiet weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  finally feeling much better and so far, 15 hours without a fever.  What a difference not having a fever makes!

Damaris

Zelanie

D, glad you're feeling better!

Ginny, I'm thinking of running the Newport (OR) marathon in early June. It's only about an hour from here, and lots of runners from my club have run it and have good reviews. It's on the small side, but lots of local support and maybe friends to see along the way.

From the Internet.

My thesis is revised, formatted (holy hell that was insane - why does Microsoft Word not do anything that a normal human would want it to do??), and ready to be submitted!! FINALLYYYYY! I'm beyond happy that it's going to be off my shoulders! Big grin

No running yesterday, no running today. Coach suggested I take a week or two off to destress and reset given how terrible I've been feeling about it lately, but I don't know that I want to take that much time off - plus my stress level will be way down and sleep will be much better for the next few weeks since the thesis is done. Might try a run tomorrow and see how it goes.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Tried our bike path, but still too icy.  Completed 10 on the streets.  Really nice out today and again tomorrow so we might not take a RD.

GinnyinPA

I ran 12 from the house to town and back.  I had considered running a bit in town, but the messy sidewalks turned me around.  The country roads were clear and I could pad the miles by winding through a couple of subdivisions. Beautiful sunny 37 degree day. I had a hard time reining in my pace and ended up going faster than intended, but I finished strong, so it was good.

PAD - what is Skywarn?

Damaris - I'm glad you're over your fever.  How was the concert?

Z - I like small races.  You don't spend the first five miles tripping over people.

Jerry - sounds like a good run.  I would take advantage of the good weather while you have it unless you're hurting tomorrow.

Lauren- congratulations on getting the thesis finished.  Your stress levels should definitely fall.  Maybe just run easy for a while.  For me, not running would be way more stressful than running easy.

SheCan

PAD--  Hey you, good job on the run!  Hope you're doing better now.

Jerry, great job on the LR!   Hope you have another nice day tomorrow.

DR-- So glad to hear that you're doing better.... fever that long seems rather serious.

Z-- I actually think the smaller races are funner.  Is it more of a rural race?

Lauren-- How wonderful to have that pressure off of you now.  With that behind you, I bet after you take a bit of a breather, you'll have renewed zest for running.

Ginny -- fantastic job on the run.   You must be feeling super strong right now.  If anything reign it in, and save the best for the race.  Its so soon.  I still haven't decided if i want to make the trip up to Phx or not.  I'd end up having to stay the night, and not sure I wanna.  As far as racing I'm not really fit to race any of them, other than to use them as perhaps a fun run.  If you're gonna be in Tucson for a bit, I might try to meet you there instead.(?)

Last few days around here have felt like spring.  Yesterday and today were both in the 70s though there was a bit of wind blowing today, but man, it feels good out there.  I ended up with just over 7 pokey miles today.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

PADRunner

PAD - what is Skywarn?

It's for storm spotters. It goes over storm formations, reporting criteria, and safety. I'm a member of R.A.C.E.S Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service and it's required every 2 years.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi She Can. Good to hear from you. Smile

I did an 8 mile trail run this morning with wife and a local running group. It was fun and I might run with them more often, mainly my long runs. Mile 5 was tough because there was about 625' of elevation gain. It didn't seem that steep going down but coming up I had to walk some bits. I followed that up with a hard core workout and I am now following that up with some time in my comfy chair. Have a good weekend.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi She Can. Good to hear from you. Smile

I did an 8 mile trail run this morning with wife and a local running group. It was fun and I might run with them more often, mainly my long runs. Mile 5 was tough because there was about 625' of elevation gain. It didn't seem that steep going down but coming up I had to walk some bits. I followed that up with a hard core workout and I am now following that up with some time in my comfy chair. Have a good weekend.

...comfy chair and what kind of beer ?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

...comfy chair and what kind of beer ?

You know me too well. Tonight I have two oil cans (Foster's Ale).

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Wholly cats!  Still a lot of familiar faces around here!  Glad to see that.

I'm back at it.  Never completely let it go but went almost a full year without running.  I've been building, painfully slowly, since October 2015.  None the less, last two months have been consistent.  I'm starting week 3 of C25k today.

Since last time I checked in, if I recall when that was...  we've moved to a new area of the state.  10 acres of my own woods that butts up against 700 acres of State land.  What little exploring I did before snow fell I found a bunch of nice trails that lead off my area onto State land.  Eventually the snow will go and by then I should have a decent base and can explore.

Anywho - glad to see the familiar, and new, faces.  I'll check in often.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Spent all the day yesterday running errands so I sure felt like I was not sick (well, except all the coughing and expectorating).

Concert was nice.  The Def Leppard singer caught some sickness so he had no voice and then at the end the Tesla singer had to come and help sing the last three songs.  That was fun.

Damaris