Beginners and Beyond

14 Years At The Runnersworld Forum Down The Drain (Read 101 times)

Buelligan

I got put on "moderation" by the mods at RW.  Here is how it went down...

ME:
    Posts are not displaying on the forum.

Is there an issue I'm not aware of?

THEM:

We are exercising an abundance of caution following the decision to remove the two "Other" forums. You were put on moderation because of the thread you started - "I'm Treating This Forum as the New NRR..." "... but not Opinions because everyone in that old forum was an asshoIe."

ME:

What does that mean?

THEM:

You tell me, you're the one who posted it.

ME:

What does "put on moderation" mean?

Does it ever end?

Do you ever inform people they're on "moderation"?

I've been a member of the forum since 2002 and was never on "moderation" before or been banned from making comments. Whatever problems RW has had with forum users didn't have anything to do with me. Everyone in the Opinions forum was an asshole as far as I could tell and RW must have thought the same thing, so what specifically is the problem here?

THEM:

"On moderation" means all your posts are moderated - they must be reviewed & approved prior to going live. I was under the impression that users were aware when they were moderated - apologies that this is not the case.

ME:

Please look back on my near 14 years of involvement with this forum and the content of my posts and tell me when this "moderation" will end.

THEM:

We don't apply timeframes like that. As your posts are reviewed and demonstrate no further intent to be provocative, your account will be released from moderation.

ME:

**** you.

ME (again):

Oh, I see that wasn't very clear.  F U C K you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's that.  The forum member known as Buelligan is finished there and so am I.  This is my only running home on the internet now.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ouch. Did they really say asshole? That goes against their rodale family friendly bs.

I am convinced they have next to no thought to people using mobile devices. On this site, if I have a PM, I can clearly see it on my phone. RW, nope. You have to hover over a sidebar, so if you violate one of their rules while on a phone, you may never know.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wow.  Good thing I rarely visit that forum anymore.  Sometimes my posts take hours to show (it has not happened in a while) so I wonder if they were putting random long time posters under moderation.

Damaris

Buelligan

The place was like Groundhog Day anyway, same old shit all the time.  The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because of the people there, but most of them are gone now... or over here.

LRB

The place was like Groundhog Day anyway, same old shit all the time.  The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because of the people there, but most of them are gone now... or over here.

There's no one left here but a few diehards, doing our "boring" dailies and penguins thing. I hear tell the action is on Facebook, or letsrun if you really want to go all in!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Once the 2015 in 2015 game wrapped up, I haven't been back (apart from to read the odd sweat science article. I haven't been back to the forums at all).

Bye RWOL. You were good once.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Once the 2015 in 2015 game wrapped up, I haven't been back (apart from to read the odd sweat science article. I haven't been back to the forums at all).

Bye RWOL. You were good once.

+1 to the first part.

-1 to the second - I started there in the fall of 2012, shortly followed by spam invasion, shortly followed by migration to RA. Never looked back (other than for the first part).

Not sure why so many people have hung on for so long, other than I guess all the history.

Dave

Cyberic

14 years! That's a long time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That's where I started way back in the 1990s when I found the forums there; and I enjoyed myself quite a lot over there and used to post my race reports and photos on the Beginners Forum over there. Also, we used to have, many years ago, "Runners World Forum Encounters" at which we'd meet up at various races and do a race and have a big party after - like at Beach to Beacon in Maine - and that was nice too, meeting the people in person and I really made some lasting friendships - KarenM, Damaris, Burke, and many more.

It changed a lot over the years - and I'd probably get totally banned today with my 'warped' sense of humor.  So now I just post here and put my reports here  too, and all the people here are really great.  This is a nice place to be and the moderators are VERY indulgent with me as I tend to post about a MOUNTAINLOAD of photos when I do my reports.  I probably need to send them a thank-you gift. 

Welcome over to this side! You should like it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt