Beginners and Beyond

Thoughts, Opinions and Basically a Cent or Two (Read 33 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so of course I've got the 2019 IMM coming this November.... (would've been) first marathon since my Harmonie Trail Marathon back in 2016. But back in July, after a good 16.4 mile LR and feeling great after it and no soreness during the following days, I decided to go ahead and sign up for the Honest Abe Trail Marathon that is on September 14, because:

1. Though trail marathons are quite a bit tougher and slower than road marathons, I've found that one (or at least I) can recover quicker from them than road marathons.
    2. It was more or less going to be a hike with some running, focusing on the mentality that ultra runners have - don't try to run it all, and definitely don't try to run hills, best to just bury your pride and hike the hills.
    3. So more or less, this would have been a 26.2 mile hike in the woods with some running and I get to have my hydration pack with me.

But my concern is, even though when I do complete a LR and feel pretty damn good afterwards, I haven't been getting too many in over the last 2 months. I get in a 16 miler and then shit comes up and life gets hectic and I am just so emotionally drained that by the end of the week I just want to sleep in. I'm hoping to get in an 18 miler this Sunday, hopefully the 60 degrees with drag me out of bed, the Honest Abe Trail Marathon is 3 weeks from tomorrow and I would have to get in an 18 miler this weekend and then shoot for a 20 miler next weekend before a small 2 week taper, nothing major since this isn't a major marathon to me but no runs longer than 10-15 miles.

The IMM is a Redemption race for me, I'm not really focused on a time or finishing faster than I did when I ran it in 2014, my only goal is to not get sick to my stomach and walk most of the final half of the 26.2 miles. That is really my biggest goal for IMM, as I have an even bigger goal for 2020 and IMM is just a part of it.

So my reason for this post is just asking for thoughts and opinions and tips, I suspect there will be ones who will say I'm crazy to even think about this (I'm looking at your LRB) and that's okay , I've accepted my crazy.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you have only done one 16 miler, I would wait and do the IMM and not run this one.  Since you have not been consistent with the training, it might take too much out of you and compromise the IMM training.

Damaris

LRB

So my reason for this post is just asking for thoughts and opinions and tips, I suspect there will be ones who will say I'm crazy to even think about this (I'm looking at your LRB) and that's okay , I've accepted my crazy.

Then you would be looking at the wrong person.

There is nothing that's written in stone that says you have to run 18 and then 20 miles before running (or run/walking as it were) a trail marathon or any marathon for that matter. I and many others have come back from injury or other life stressors while working their way back up the ladder and used the race itself as their long run.

If this is simply a training run, then you could just as easily eschew the 20 miler and look to run as many miles overall as you can. So instead of having a 50 mile week with 20 of that coming in one run, run 55 with the longest run being 15 - 16 miles. This may require running 6 or 7 days, but would free you from the issues of what it takes to both run and recover from an eternity run. Stated more specifically, when your training isn't where you want it to be or where it should be in the first place, an ill conceived 20 mile run could destroy you.

onemile

I'd just focus on training for IMM and avoid adding more disruptions

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Knowing you are going to be walking a lot of the Honest Abe Trail Marathon, and you can adjust the amount of walking and pace based  on how you feel, I see no reason to not run it.  It could be a good last long run effort for you before IMM and fill in some of what you feel has been missing  in your training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Skip the trail race or drop to a shorter distance if they have one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know my body can put out 20 miles now, hell I could do it this weekend if I wanted but I want to play it safe and shoot for an 18 if my life doesn't shit on that plan and then aim for a 20 next weekend. Honestly, I like 20 miles and I wish I could fit them in more often, maybe someday when I'm finally out of the office and more of a stay-at-home mom I can join the ladies (and a few men) that run LRs of 16-20 miles on the week days after kids are in school. As of now, it feels like the days are just against me and I find it easier to make excuses and stay in bed rather than get up and get it done.

My son is either nearly too big for his stroller or it is fucked up and constantly pulling to the left when it locked, which can really fuck your upper body up. Your right arm/back is constantly pulling the stroller while your left side is trying to push it forward..... I was hoping the stroller could last until next summer damn it.

LRB, I'm sorry for assuming  and yeah I knew a guy a few years ago who only trained up to 16 miles for marathons, he actually asked me often why I was deadset on 20's.

WCrunner2 I like your thoughts lol

One of the ladies that runs 100 milers and other crazy shit told me I could use the Honest Abe and IMM as training LR's in preparation for my goal next year, it's not a bad idea for sure, though it would be easier if I could stop making excuses and just get out and run.

Fingers crossed that the beautiful weather is here to last a while, I don't care if it's raining damn it.

I'm not gonna make my mind up yet, I'll give it til the weekend before the race to decide. If the rest of the next 2 weeks go as I am hoping, I'll stick think carefully on it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Skip the trail race or drop to a shorter distance if they have one.

It's a marathon, 14k (8.7 miles) and 6k (3.7 miles), I'm sorry but that's just not worth it if I don't go and suffer 3 loops. If I don't do the marathon, I won't go at all.

PRs

LRB

LRB, I'm sorry for assuming  

When it comes to doing dumb shit, I reside in the VIP section.

Half Crazy K 2.0

A 14k race would fit pretty well into a training plan for a November goal race.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

IMM isn't really a goal race and that's only 8.7 miles, that's nothing.

Oh and I forgot- I've ran 13.1, 16.4, 15 and 16 miles in the last 2 months ... maybe 2.5 months.

PRs

onemile

sounds like your mind was already made up.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

sounds like your mind was already made up.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

IMM isn't really a goal race and that's only 8.7 miles, that's nothing.

Oh and I forgot- I've ran 13.1, 16.4, 15 and 16 miles in the last 2 months ... maybe 2.5 months.

Looking at your weekly summary for the last few weeks, it sounds like your long run is the bulk of your weekly miles. If you do the marathon,  you could be looking at needing a week or two (at least) of recovery before ramping back up before a taper.

It's not an issue of being able to finish. Is it worth risking IMM, even if it's not a goal race.

sdWhiskers

I get in a 16 miler and then shit comes up and life gets hectic and I am just so emotionally drained that by the end of the week I just want to sleep in.

Seems like the bigger issue here is working through this. Running should be fun or a stress outlet or something positive, don't let it just be another issue you are stressfully dealing with. Make the decision that you either have time in your life right now for marathon training or you don't, then proceed. And if you're constantly needing to sleep in, then you probably aren't sleeping enough. Go to bed earlier

You can certainly run a marathon on lower mileage and/or shorter LRs. But like was already said, don't forgo all the other runs with too much emphasis on getting a 20 miler or whatever.

Trail races beat me up more than on the road so hopefully you've been running some trails?

And I am shocked that you have made the stroller work this long, kudos mama! I think your son is older (bigger?) than mine and I stopped that a long time ago. We find that him biking next to me is much better for both of us. Another solution that I've been doing is running small loops around the neighborhood while he's at home alone. I stop in every 10-20 min to check on him but I'm never far away. I've also put him at a playground then ran loops around so I can see him the whole time. Depends on what you think would be possible with your kid.

Only you can know which goals are most important to you.