Beginners and Beyond

Saturday (Read 41 times)

onemile

2 years max is pushing it. Unless you absolutely want all the latest gadgets, which you don't, and I don't either, I'm certain I have a solid watch for 3 years at least. Maybe 4. It will be one year soon that I have mine, and it's like new. And I wear it 23/7 (I charge it every day).

I always end up having charging/battery issues

DavePNW

I'm certain I have a solid watch for 3 years at least. Maybe 4. 

How can you be so certain of this?

Dave

RunningOnSand

I had major battery + cold issues, too, with my 620. Admittedly i haven't done a lot of winter running in my 235, but the HRM is hit or miss. Sometimes I'll be doing an interval and it'll read my HR at like 90. Which, is probably about correct by half. And then I'll jump back into recovery pace and it'll go to like 150bmp. Maybe the newer ones are better, though. 

I've got 10 or 11 on tap for today with some pace miles thrown in, but am not sure if I'll have time to fit it in today. If not today, then tomorrow.

Cyberic

I always end up having charging/battery issues

Never had that. I mean never had one I could not fix. I had an issue with the 610 (or was it the Timex?) , but I'd use an eraser on the contacts regularily, and steel wool once in a while.

About the Fenix, even if it lasts 4 years, I agree it's a lot of money. I pulled the trigger because I used to forget my running watch sometimes before and had to run with my phone. With the Fenix, since I wear it all the time, I have never forgotten it Smile

Half Crazy K 2.0

Has anyone ever tried cycling toe covers over running shoes? All my running shoes are mesh, so the wind cuts through them. I have a pair of the toe covers sitting around the house from my cycling days. It seems like they are a little too tight over the shoes, but wonder if they would work over my socks.

zzyzx

My first outdoor run in a couple weeks. The forecast was for the rain to die down around the time I was leaving. Nope. Steady downpour. It being my first long run in a bit, having a bathroom emergency, and not being able to see through my soaked glasses, I stopped 4.6 miles in to deal with that. I then ran another 2.4 miles to get me to 7; I'm pretty happy with that distance.

First run @ 8:38, second at 8:41. Not too bad. Now if only I could get runkeeper to sync from my watch to my new phone, that would be nice.

At least I'm in a good spot to sign up for the Hot Chocolate 15k in March if I'm already at 7 miles.

Cyberic

How can you be so certain of this?

Ok. I am not certain. I'm confident I have a solid watch for 3-4 years.

DavePNW

Steady downpour. 

Only light rain here up north. 6 miles.

Dave

LRB

Ok. I am not certain. I'm confident I have a solid watch for 3-4 years.

Should be longer than that. My 410 does and it's 6 years old. And I've seen the 305 during group runs. By the looks of it, that thing has to be at least 10.

Cold temps again this morning. Wanted to do 10 on the TM but this ancle isn't feeling too hot. Did 7 @ 7:41/mi and a bunch of lunges and crunches. Hopefully the ancle is nothing. I feel like I got one little hip flexor strain and now the wheels are coming off and every day it's some new issue. ...ughhh

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Should be longer than that. My 410 does and it's 6 years old. And I've seen the 305 during group runs. By the looks of it, that thing has to be at least 10.

I don't see why it would suddenly stop functionning properly after 2 years. Might happen, but my guess is that, like the 305 and the 310 you're talking about, my F3HR will suffer a slow degradation. I dunno how long the wrist HRM is going to last, though.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 miles. I could deal with the 17 degrees if the wind would stop. Was able to get the cycling toe/foot covers under my shoes. My toes were warm. My ass is frozen.

KCRuns

Well, for all my bitching about the weather, I ran the 10k in 1:03:53 and got a 1:27 PR. I did not work too hard for it either, so now I wonder what I could do in the right conditions. I went into it for fun because of the temps (3° at start) and I’m glad I did, there were a few times it hurt to breathe in the cold and it’s so freaking hard to move in all those layers. I’m going to have to find a spring 10k and see what I can do if I work for it.

I have the 630 and haven’t had issues in the cold, including today when it was 3 with a negative something wind chill. I usually wear it over my sleeves and it’s 2 years old. When I first bought one, I had problems with it holding a charge, but I went in to the Garmin store and they replaced it. Haven’t had any problems since.

DavePNW

I don't see why it would suddenly stop functionning properly after 2 years. Might happen, but my guess is that, like the 305 and the 310 you're talking about, my F3HR will suffer a slow degradation. I dunno how long the wrist HRM is going to last, though.

I don't see why it would either. I hope you're right, and a lot of them last a long time. But based on anecdotal evidence here on the forums, it seems to happen more often than you'd think it should. Anyone here had a Garmin crap out in <2 years?

1. Me.

Dave

onemile

I don't see why it would either. I hope you're right, and a lot of them last a long time. But based on anecdotal evidence here on the forums, it seems to happen more often than you'd think it should. Anyone here had a Garmin crap out in <2 years?

1. Me.

Me too  My 405 was great but the two I've had since then