Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES Simplified (Read 46 times)

outoftheblue

Nice pictures Lauren!  I hope the foot feels better soon.

Speaking of feet, I have some good news and bad news.  The good news is that, after 2 weeks of diligently stretching, icing and massage, I did a short test run yesterday and there was noticeable improvement in my foot.  Just some slight tightness and very slight toe curling at the very end of my run.  If I hadn't been carefully looking for it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

The bad news is that had my visit with a second podiatrist this afternoon and still have no answers at all.  Another "It's unusual.  Some kind of nerve damage, probably.  Can't say for sure.  Take some anti-inflammatories and continue to rest.  Keep the mileage low.  Swimming is better."  She thought that an MRI might show something, but then again, it might not.   Given that an MRI is going to cost me $1000 out of pocket I said I'd like to hold off for now, particularly since the issue seems to be improving.

She also gave me a big sales pitch on wearing shoes with "rigid soles and rocker bottoms" like Hokas.  Because that's what she wears running.  I'm pretty leery about that.  I've gone through all my footwear over the last couple of weeks and have found that my toe-clenching increases with the rigidity of the sole, disappearing altogether when I go barefoot.  Whatever is going on, it's seems to be worse when I prevent my feet from bending naturally at push off.

So  . . . My plan is to keep up with the stretching, icing and massage and next week re-introduce some low-mileage running, starting with a 1:1 run:walk approach and see how that goes.

Life is good.

LRB

Nice pictures Lauren!  I hope the foot feels better soon.

Speaking of feet, I have some good news and bad news.  The good news is that, after 2 weeks of diligently stretching, icing and massage, I did a short test run yesterday and there was noticeable improvement in my foot.  Just some slight tightness and very slight toe curling at the very end of my run.  If I hadn't been carefully looking for it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

The bad news is that had my visit with a second podiatrist this afternoon and still have no answers at all.  Another "It's unusual.  Some kind of nerve damage, probably.  Can't say for sure.  Take some anti-inflammatories and continue to rest.  Keep the mileage low.  Swimming is better."  She thought that an MRI might show something, but then again, it might not.   Given that an MRI is going to cost me $1000 out of pocket I said I'd like to hold off for now, particularly since the issue seems to be improving.

She also gave me a big sales pitch on wearing shoes with "rigid soles and rocker bottoms" like Hokas.  Because that's what she wears running.  I'm pretty leery about that.  I've gone through all my footwear over the last couple of weeks and have found that my toe-clenching increases with the rigidity of the sole, disappearing altogether when I go barefoot.  Whatever is going on, it's seems to be worse when I prevent my feet from bending naturally at push off.

So  . . . My plan is to keep up with the stretching, icing and massage and next week re-introduce some low-mileage running, starting with a 1:1 run:walk approach and see how that goes.

Have you tried a toe splint? Something rudimentary even like a piece of popsicle stick that prevents it from bending.

outoftheblue

I didn't think about that LRB.  It might be worth a shot.

Life is good.

LRB

I didn't think about that LRB.  It might be worth a shot.

Don't hurt yourself.

Don't hurt yourself.

TOO LATE.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Did a total body weight training DVD. It's chilly and damp. Definitely not Memorial Day weather. Pools are going to feel like ice baths this weekend when they open.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, OOTB.  BTW, I don't consider Hokas to be rigid at all.  Certain models are but the Cliftons are far from that.  And rest?  What for if they don't know what it is. Frustrating, sorry.

4 with hubby after Pilates.  It was still smoky but not too bad and I wore my headband over my mouth/nose.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

Ugh, OOTB.  BTW, I don't consider Hokas to be rigid at all.  Certain models are but the Cliftons are far from that.  And rest?  What for if they don't know what it is. Frustrating, sorry.

4 with hubby after Pilates.  It was still smoky but not too bad and I wore my headband over my mouth/nose.

Bank robber style?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Race day weather. 

Dave

emmbee

queen of headlamps

outoftheblue:  I've noticed that I will clench my toes if either the shoe doesn't have a lot of arch support (toes clench to make the arch go rigid) or if the midfoot of the shoe is too loose, like my toes are trying to keep the shoes on.  Are your shoes old or wearing down?  No experience with HOKAs personally, but I don't know anyone who is neutral on them -- they're either the best shoes ever or horrible, depending on who you talk to.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Bank robber style?

Exactly like that!

Damaris

workinprogress11

7 miles running errands as I went.