Beginners and Beyond

2019 Goals (Read 57 times)

LRB

Because without them we are wanderers. Transients drifting through the wilderness of life without purpose. Running aimlessly in circles trying to catch our proverbial tails. Commiserating in the DAILIES like a group of hobos waiting for the next train. No, no. There will be no hobo 'ing. There will be goals. Goals I say. GOOOOOOALS!

LRB

To begin: Do everything in my power to show up at Staten Island on November 3rd ready to kick that apple right in the ass (provided I get accepted!). Like spokes in a wheel, in 2019, all roads lead to New York. I will train my ass off like never before, and let the chips fall where they may.

In addition: Get back to racing the 10k. Where running strength is concerned, it's the elixir...for me anyway, or at least it used to be. lol

Furthermore: Enjoy the journey of what might be my last real chance at a PR (I ain't getting any younger!).

Last but not least: PR the damn marathon. Quite possibly the hardest thing for me to do, but where PRs are concerned, it's also the most practical.

Easier said than done, but like someone who looks like me once said; nothing worth having comes without sacrifice, so let's get to it!

onemile

To begin: Do everything in my power to show up at Staten Island on November 3rd ready to kick that apple right in the ass (provided I get accepted!). Like spokes in a wheel, in 2019, all roads lead to New York. I will train my ass off like never before, and let the chips fall where they may.

In addition: Get back to racing the 10k. Where running strength is concerned, it's the elixir...for me anyway, or at least it used to be. lol

Furthermore: Enjoy the journey of what might be my last real chance at a PR (I ain't getting any younger!).

Last but not least: PR the damn marathon. Quite possibly the hardest thing for me to do, but where PRs are concerned, it's also the most practical.

Easier said than done, but like someone who looks like me once said; nothing worth having comes without sacrifice, so let's get to it!

Wow, go get it LRB!

LRB

Wow, go get it LRB!

I dream with the best of them. 😂

DavePNW

I dream with the best of them. 😂

DW always says this: if you don’t have a dream, you can’t have a dream come true. I always roll my eyes at that, but still. We look forward to following your journey. Although just don’t call it a journey, because that’s cheesy. 

Dave

DavePNW

My main goal is to get back to something resembling my old self again.

1. 2500+ miles. This used to be like falling off a log, but I don’t want to take anything for granted.

2. PR something. Primary plan at this point is to attack the HM.

3. Qualify for NYCM. Achieving #2 would do this. .

4. Do Boston proud. We’ll see what that means as the date nears, depending on what kind of shape I’m in and what the weather is like. But I am likely a one and done, so plan to make the most of it.

Dave

LRB

My main goal is to get back to something resembling my old self again.

1. 2500+ miles. This used to be like falling off a log, but I don’t want to take anything for granted.

2. PR something. Primary plan at this point is to attack the HM.

3. Qualify for NYCM. Achieving #2 would do this. .

4. Do Boston proud. We’ll see what that means as the date nears, depending on what kind of shape I’m in and what the weather is like. But I am likely a one and done, so plan to make the most of it.

What's the time requirement for NY?

Doing Boston proud for me meant coming home with a medal. 

DavePNW

What's the time requirement for NY?

What makes NYC an opportunity is that I turn 55 in 2020. This makes the Q times a 1:36 HM or 3:23 M. The former should be doable if I am in shape.

Dave

LRB

What makes NYC an opportunity is that I turn 55 in 2020. This makes the Q times a 1:36 HM or 3:23 M. The former should be doable if I am in shape.

So you could run a 1:35 this year and apply with that next January before your actual birthday next spring? I never fully looked into that part is why I'm asking. I always thought you had to run what your age was at the time you ran it but again, I never confirmed it.

DavePNW

So you could run a 1:35 this year and apply with that next January before your actual birthday next spring? I never fully looked into that part is why I'm asking. I always thought you had to run what your age was at the time you ran it but again, I never confirmed it.

I thought the qualifying times applied to your age on the date of the NYCM plan to run. And that you can run the qualifying race any time during the calendar year prior to that NYCM. I guess I need to double-check now.

Dave

onemile

I thought the qualifying times applied to your age on the date of the NYCM plan to run. And that you can run the qualifying race any time during the calendar year prior to that NYCM. I guess I need to double-check now.

that is correct

Baboon

delicate flower

• PR the "big four" distances (5K, 10K, HM, FM)
                          • Sub 3:10 marathon
                          • Sub 5:00 Half Iron
                          • Sub 11:00 Ironman
                          • Get better at swimming

Tough but doable goals.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

1. Continue my quest of completing all the non-trail, non-multiple-loop half marathons in NJ by running 6 - 8 this year.

2.  Achieve a better running/family balance than I did in 2018, which may require fewer miles (or the same miles run faster).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

RunningOnSand

• Stay mostly injury free 
                              • 1800 miles (I actually have no idea how much it'll be, as coach usually dictates my mileage, but it was 1750 or so last year so I figure this is a safe bet...2000 would be amazing)
                              • 3:40Tight lippedx or under marathon...aka run a BQ
                              • Sub 1:47 HM
                              KCRuns

1,600+ miles and continue to improve my race times. And stay injury free.