Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #210 (Read 29 times)

DavePNW

+1 

Quite a few not-so-good memories.  It was kind of a rough day.

Dave

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Detroit has always been one of my favourite marathons but it had been awhile since I've done it. Usually I cheer near the turn toward the Tunnel. So I registered for the half back on the first day. Sigh. I still haven't decided if I should defer or take the partial refund. Leaning toward the deferral.

Detroit itself has improved much of it's own waterfront. I was surprised how good it looked last time I volunteered for Hightail to Ale. But ya. Windsor's waterfront parks are very pretty. You only get a taste of it while running Freep because you don't actually get to run on the path but on the street.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

onemile

Does Detroit usually have cold weather?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not the year I ran it, lol.

In my year there was also a headwind at the finish that stopped us in our tracks (and also threw some debris into my eyes).

Damaris

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

For the race? It's in October so weather can be iffy. It can go either way. But blink and the weather can change. I've raced it when it was ideal. Other times way too hot. Also raced when it was very cold. The year Damaris raced it was stupid windy. But overall I'd say it generally gets good weather.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For the race? It's in October so weather can be iffy. It can go either way. But blink and the weather can change. I've raced it when it was ideal. Other times way too hot. Also raced when it was very cold. The year Damaris raced it was stupid windy. But overall I'd say it generally gets good weather.

Stupid windy indeed. I had to hold onto a column at the finish to be able to hold on and finish, lol.

Damaris

DavePNW

Yes. Except when Damaris runs it. Usually it’s pretty good marathoning weather. According to my log, the year I ran it (LRB also) it was 36 at the start. A little breeze so the windchill was in the 20s; a bit chillier than ideal, but can’t complain too much about that. I wore a hat & gloves that I ditched ~5 miles in, and had long sleeves for the entire race. Weather was not my problem that day. 

Here’s the race day weather history from findmymarathon.com. Damaris must have run in 2016. 
                https://findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=Detroit%20Free%20Press%20Marathon&year=

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I ran the half in 2017 when it 69 degrees and 90% humidity; that was ugly! I could barely walk after (weather related and lack of training). Ran the full in 2018 when it was 37 and fairly windy which was just about perfect other than losing feeling in my fingers... You just don't know what you'll get but it's usually on the cooler end of the spectrum.

onemile

Here’s the race day weather history from findmymarathon.com. Damaris must have run in 2016. 
                    https://findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=Detroit%20Free%20Press%20Marathon&year=

I got distracted by the list of 2020 marathons that have not yet canceled 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes. Except when Damaris runs it. Usually it’s pretty good marathoning weather. According to my log, the year I ran it (LRB also) it was 36 at the start. A little breeze so the windchill was in the 20s; a bit chillier than ideal, but can’t complain too much about that. I wore a hat & gloves that I ditched ~5 miles in, and had long sleeves for the entire race. Weather was not my problem that day. 

Nope, I ran it in 2017. The wind at the end was not 13mph, but much higher.

Race Start Conditions
                      <center>69°F  (21°C)
                      Humidity: 89%

Clear
                      SSW 13 mph </center>

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's clear wolvmar and I can't do another race together if that's the kind of weather we will get, lol.

Damaris

DavePNW

Nope, I ran it in 2017.

Oops I missed that one.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Today was cloudy and not as hot (84) so I ran 7 miles in town, despite the 72 dew point. It was a slog. Garmin worked fine and uploaded normally, except that the elevation gain didn't show up. Admittedly, it was only about 150' today, but there was no column for it.

LRB

If you're thinking about it, it's a first class event. There are people here who won't run it because it's Detroit. It's the stupidest shit ever.

You're not going to get that "wall of sound" of the bigger cities, but you also don't have the cluster bomb that is the logistics that come with them. The crowd support is plenty above board and comparable in stretches. It's easy to the start line and easy home. The finisher's medal and lanyard is gorgeous (not that that matters but if you're going to get a medal, get a medal!) I can't say anything bad about it, really.

LRB

Today was cloudy and not as hot (84) so I ran 7 miles in town, despite the 72 dew point. It was a slog. Garmin worked fine and uploaded normally, except that the elevation gain didn't show up. Admittedly, it was only about 150' today, but there was no column for it.

84+72 is 156. That's oppressive by any measure!