Beginners and Beyond

Office Wednesdailies (Read 22 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Oh come on! My only chance at race points is running the only HM this week because I'll never be the fastest.

Well I could always log it as a tempo run instead of a race....

<3

sdWhiskers

Well I could always log it as a tempo run instead of a race....

Appreciate the thought, haha

I was kidding, mostly...

DavePNW

Well I ran twice yesterday, so I have nothing to report today. It actually felt good to “sleep in” this morning—7 AM local time—even though it was 4 AM for me.

I think one of the things that made the NYC marathon logistics easy for me the two times I ran it was I just needed a 30-minute car ride to Giants Stadium to catch a free bus to the start and I could take mass transit home (the second time, all runners were allowed onto the NY subway for free).

Thinking about signing up this year, but I’m not looking forward to the race morning logistics.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day today.

Nice run/walk at Fort Sam Houston on Tuesday evening, ended up with 4.1 miles.

As I went through one of the housing areas, some of the dogs recognized me and started barking, coming up to their fence gates to wait for me to get there to hand out treats to them, lol.

This past weekend was busy, with me doing a 5K on Saturday and another one on Sunday.  I've got 10 5Ks completed so far this year.  You can see my race reports and photos at my blog Scottydog Reports.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well I ran twice yesterday, so I have nothing to report today. It actually felt good to “sleep in” this morning—7 AM local time—even though it was 4 AM for me.

Thinking about signing up this year, but I’m not looking forward to the race morning logistics.

Just read that this year’s method is different and they will do it similar to Boston in that if the applications exceed the number of spots they will go by fastest first and down. Before it was first come first served I think.

Damaris

DavePNW

Just read that this year’s method is different and they will do it similar to Boston in that if the applications exceed the number of spots they will go by fastest first and down. Before it was first come first served I think.

Yep that’s correct for non-NYRR time qualifiers. Then for next year, you can no longer time-qualify with a half. They were always the only race that did that.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yep that’s correct for non-NYRR time qualifiers. Then for next year, you can no longer time-qualify with a half. They were always the only race that did that.

Boston from 1971 to 1976 allowed qualification with shorter distances.

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/qualify/history-qualifying-times

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I can see where that could be daunting, especially if you're traveling alone.  I don't think they even have race-day bag check any more.  Now you have to drop off your stuff in Central Park a couple days ahead of time - anything you take to the start you either donate to charity or carry with you the whole way.  I've been fortunate enough to have family meet me at the end so I never had to carry excess stuff with me or check a bag.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

Yep that’s correct for non-NYRR time qualifiers. Then for next year, you can no longer time-qualify with a half. They were always the only race that did that, at least within the lifetime of most of the people running it. 

fixed!

I can see where that could be daunting, especially if you're traveling alone.  I don't think they even have race-day bag check any more.  Now you have to drop off your stuff in Central Park a couple days ahead of time - anything you take to the start you either donate to charity or carry with you the whole way.  I've been fortunate enough to have family meet me at the end so I never had to carry excess stuff with me or check a bag.

I think I would try to avoid bag check if at all possible. I anticipate a long walk back to my hotel post race, but I imagine picking up a bag would make that whole experience much longer. I’m just hoping the weather isn’t ridiculously bad.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

fixed!

I think I would try to avoid bag check if at all possible. I anticipate a long walk back to my hotel post race, but I imagine picking up a bag would make that whole experience much longer. I’m just hoping the weather isn’t ridiculously bad.

If you decide to do it, and you haven't run NY before (or even if you have) feel free to ask me any questions about my experience last year, either here or via PM.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

If you decide to do it, and you haven't run NY before (or even if you have) feel free to ask me any questions about my experience last year, either here or via PM.

I will, thanks!

Dave