Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 1: La Cruda 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%201%20La%20Cruda%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 1st race of 2019 was La Cruda 5K held on January 1 at 10 a.m. in Helotes, Texas, a small city bordering on the city limits of San Antonio.  This was the 2nd year La Cruda has been held and has quickly become a popular event for runners and walkers doing a local New Year’s 5K.  The event grew this year from last year and there were so many race day registrations that the start time was pushed back to 10:15 a.m., so everyone who wanted to could participate.  My wife, Gail, participated too, walking the event.  Weather this year was much better than last year – which had a “feels like” temp of 18 degrees – with a mix of sunshine and clouds, some wind, and a temp of 48 degrees with a ‘feels like’ of 44 degrees.   I had picked up my packet previously so when I arrived I went around and got some pre-start photos.

With my better half, Gail, who walked the 5K.  Pretty speedily too.  The poor lady who has to deal with me 24/7.

photo IMG_1698_zpsnk8uaqur.jpg

photo IMG_1699_zpsgj4batit.jpg

Sign on the wall of the restroom building.   LOL.

photo IMG_1687_zpsb6ld0ykw.jpg

Team RWB, San Antonio Chapter, Veteran's Group tent

photo IMG_1672_zps0ueecnqg.jpg

photo IMG_1681_zpsagauwloq.jpg

photo IMG_1692_zpsihynhepf.jpg

photo IMG_1695_zpsqc7njxuw.jpg

Our chefs and servers preparing the sausages for post-race. Race Director Tony in the red hat.

photo IMG_1673_zps4xa034j0.jpg

Keeping warm.  I jokingly told my friend here he should go on the course with that thing and chase slow people like me to really put a fire in our butts, we'd probably all get PRs, lol.

photo IMG_1680_zpscgj6mrxu.jpg

Our MC,  Anthony on the right, with friend

photo IMG_1682_zpsc3ea0cwn.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_1674_zpszepgh6yg.jpg

photo IMG_1676_zpsp4jvpaou.jpg

photo IMG_1678_zpsphllrzbx.jpg

photo IMG_1679_zpsmpw4jchk.jpg

photo IMG_1683_zpsa7gdvshz.jpg

photo IMG_1684_zpsufkwgnqm.jpg

photo IMG_1685_zpsy8oqrveq.jpg

Dog friendly event.  Good thing i had lots of treats.

photo IMG_1686_zpsm0yqazxy.jpg

photo IMG_1688_zpsftyjwxj0.jpg

Jan 1 is my friend's birthday.  Happy birthday!

photo IMG_1689_zpsmt496hpj.jpg

photo IMG_1690_zpsdmovw8tp.jpg

photo IMG_1693_zpsnnsipxya.jpg

photo IMG_1694_zpssjk5ujdm.jpg

photo IMG_1696_zpsmccmfudp.jpg

Getting 'warmed up' for the race, lol.

photo IMG_1697_zpstqs1aafp.jpg

photo IMG_1700_zpsyhye8fzt.jpg

photo IMG_1701_zps7ycqqk2a.jpg

photo IMG_1702_zpskxazrdzj.jpg

photo IMG_1703_zpsarcsbrxz.jpg

Getting ready to start.  Crowd in front of me and behind me, and one of the participants raising the flag for the National Anthem.

photo IMG_1704_zpsumumr4mm.jpg

photo IMG_1705_zpsi5pme4kq.jpg

photo IMG_1706_zpsj0q8r34d.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I wore a light base layer for this one with running shirt on top.  Going out from the start there was very little wind, so I felt I had overdressed a bit, but when we got to turn-round point number one, the wind was right in our faces, so was glad for that extra layer, especially during my walk breaks. After the first turn-round we headed back the way we had come out, passing the start/finish area and then continuing on to another turn-round point. The first part of the course was flat; the second part of the course had some up-and-down inclines, but nothing you could really call a hill.  We finished the 5K by going up one of these inclines and then making a turn onto a small flat area that took us across the finish line. I ended up with a time of 33:04.  The age group awards were 10 year age groups – mine was 60 – 69 – so no award for me since there are some very speedy old guys in my age group; the first 3 all finished in the 20s.   All good; I mostly run for fun and just ‘compete’ against myself, and any award I may get is a bonus. At my age, I really only have 2 goals for a race:  finish standing up and no ambulance at the finish line specifically waiting for me, lol.

Doing the first mile

photo IMG_1707_zpswfknbyc7.jpg

photo IMG_1708_zpsmlzjzetl.jpg

photo IMG_1709_zpscmbar1mb.jpg

photo IMG_1710_zps0xqkvk64.jpg

photo IMG_1711_zpsrrs9c2w8.jpg

photo IMG_1712_zpszctibzdv.jpg

photo IMG_1713_zps6jvtx7xd.jpg

photo IMG_1714_zpsttiixlc5.jpg

photo IMG_1715_zpsw32jihob.jpg

photo IMG_1716_zpsshhkaqnw.jpg

photo IMG_1717_zpsusp876pw.jpg

photo IMG_1718_zps3e1ejmcc.jpg

My wife on the far right in the red jacket, walking the course

photo IMG_1719_zpspvxfmfof.jpg

Heading toward mile 2 for me.   People on  the left are heading to the finish.

photo IMG_1720_zpstmmx6idv.jpg

photo IMG_1722_zpsvxwkrhx7.jpg

photo IMG_1723_zpsfsfpuny0.jpg

photo IMG_1725_zpsm3qidmjz.jpg

photo IMG_1726_zpsj6norvc9.jpg

Looking back.  This is the incline (on right) that we climbed before turning right into the finish area)

photo IMG_1721_zpsa0pptb37.jpg

photo IMG_1724_zps7qlzx3ik.jpg

photo IMG_1727_zps44gwren3.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

I sweat like crazy when I run – even in cold weather – so first thing got off my wet base layer and put on a dry base layer.  Then it was off to check out the race goodies and get some after photos.  This event throws a heck of an after-party, with sausage wraps, beer from local Alamo Beer craft brewery, margaritas, bloody marys, and several other items, such as various fruits, etc.  DJ playing music for us, and Jan 1 is also the birthday of some of our local runners and our Race Director,  so also cake and happy birthday singing.

Finisher medals for everyone.  I gave mine to a kid in a stroller so each family member would have his/her own medal. The kid may have been pushed, but he did the course too, right?

Post-race reward.  Oh yeah....

photo IMG_1734_zpsicdnquuz.jpg

Our cooks and food servers got their deserved reward too

photo IMG_1742_zpsvfluccuc.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_1728_zpsvegkaepp.jpg

photo IMG_1729_zpsmkmbkxst.jpg

photo IMG_1730_zpsaglcmyi6.jpg

photo IMG_1731_zpsjxhquhlr.jpg

photo IMG_1732_zpswlg4sehr.jpg

photo IMG_1735_zpsr2n6ackm.jpg

photo IMG_1736_zpsiyabwqr5.jpg

photo IMG_1738_zpsvw1z2ehf.jpg

photo IMG_1740_zpstdbkhbop.jpg

photo IMG_1741_zpspl8hhcaa.jpg

My speedy friends Bernadette and Irene

photo IMG_1744_zpsaihmcz19.jpg

photo IMG_1745_zpsfuspm38k.jpg

Bernadette placed in her age group

photo IMG_1750_zps2beywq04.jpg

Friend speedy Bill with his very speedy dog

photo IMG_1746_zpswt3yzths.jpg

photo IMG_1747_zpslww7hvlq.jpg

photo IMG_1748_zpsdvvookmb.jpg

photo IMG_1751_zpspuaxu9iz.jpg

photo IMG_1752_zpsshsenozk.jpg

photo IMG_1753_zpsx6pbdt9u.jpg

photo IMG_1754_zpszaemmfwm.jpg

photo IMG_1755_zpshmpsjgp6.jpg

photo IMG_1756_zpslwlmhukq.jpg

The group Banana Photo.  I have friends with warped senses of humor, lol.  Like me.

photo IMG_1757_zpsthua64fq.jpg

photo IMG_1759_zpscor80i4t.jpg

The race shirt, front and back.   Back lists race sponsors and supporters.  Nice tech tee.

photo IMG_1760_zpsuhhzvn0m.jpg

photo IMG_1761_zpsucxnleds.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very fun event, well-organized and, as said, gaining popularity even though this is only the 2nd year for it to be held.  I expect this event will probably become THE local New Year’s Day 5K event to do. Very nice tech tee race shirts, lots of goodies, nice race entry discounts if you register by a certain time, lots of post-race goodies and also a drawing for various prizes – none of which I won, but then I guess it helps if you get a ticket.  Tongue   Nicely laid out course and with the double out-and-backs, you practically get to see everyone on the course and so there was lots of encouragement and cheering on of friends and family as participants passed each other by.  Well done by the organizers.  Definitely will continue to do this one when I can and most certainly would recommend it to others.

Kudos to our Race Director – and my friend – Tony Garcia who started this one and to all the volunteers who were out there for him and for we participants.  Mucho gracias to all the sponsors, vendors, people of Helotes for their patience with us invading their streets and the businesses of Old Town Helotes for the use of their grounds for race activities, and to anyone else involved that I may not have mentioned here.   Thank you all so much for what you do so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt