Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES (Read 30 times)

No more marathons

Perfect weather here for racing.  44 degrees F, 38 % humidity, sunny, no wind.

Ran as well as I could - official time for the four miler was 28:31.

This age-grades out to a slightly better time than my best on this course from 3 years ago.

It is true that after 55 or 60 you need to train harder and better just to stay in the same place.

And just for the record - I really hate losing my age group.

That usually doesn't happen with local races, but this one was promoted enough to bring in some folks from SC.

A guy I've only come up against in raced down south showed up and gave me a lesson in racing - time of 27:54.

And the overall winning time was 19:32 - by three members of the ZAP fitness group in Boone, NC

In total there were 5 runners under 20 minutes, and the top female came in at 22:29

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Runshortii

Also movie later - Logan! Psyched for this one! 

We went and saw it last night. I thought it was really good

Cyberic

The wind these days is no fucking joke. It's weird that I can't imagine running in what Eric did and I actually have done it before!

Of course you did. You ran in sub-zero temps before. DaveP probably did too. Not the most enjoyable runs, mind you, but nothing extraordinary.

Cyberic

no need to push it when it's that stupid cold out ffs.

Exactly. On those days it's a mental workout.

Cyberic

Congrats on your race, bluesky. Not many people on earth who can win all of their races.

No more marathons

Congrats on your race, bluesky. Not many people on earth who can win all of their races.

Thanks.  It helps if you're a medium fish in a small pond.  

I just need to outlive all these old farts.  Smile

He's a leaker!

LRB

Bam. You called it. 

I prefer clouds but that's being nitpicky. 

No more marathons

Bam. You called it. 

I prefer clouds but that's being nitpicky. 

Yeah, and I don't really think there was anything left in the tank.  I kept looking at my watch throughout the race - didn't want to just run by feel since that can cause a mental lapse.  Anytime the pace fell below 7:05 I made a conscious effort to pick it up.

Splits were about as even as I could get - 7:01, 6:58, 6:58, 7:01.  It was that extra .1 mile that killed me.  Smile

This race has registered on my garmin every year as 4.1 - pretty sure it's certified and the coach who runs it would have made sure it met the criteria for  tangents and if it's going to be off, it needs to be off long.

He's a leaker!

Runshortii

Nice job bluesky!!

i ran 5. Had a nice tempo run Thursday, 1 mile w.u with 4 mile tempo and 1 mile c.d. Had no pain anywhere felt fine. About an hour after my run right when we're leaving to go get dinner I started getting pain on the outside of my R foot. It got worse in the car and by the time I got out of the car I legit couldn't bare weight on it without horrible pain. The whole R side of my foot was throbbing. No swelling, just a little red. It was super tender to touch. It hurt more when I extended my toes so I thought maybe extensor tendinitis since I wore tight shoes that day.. but it was super tender to touch and I thought since I couldn't bear weight it had to be a stress fx. Yesterday it still hurt but got better and I could walk, and today it was sore when I woke up but went away, and I ran and had no pain at all and it feels fine now. Wtf? 🤔

GinnyinPA

10.5 at about MP. The first three miles and last two were into the cold north wind. I had the equivalent of an ice cream headache for that part. Should have worn a fleece hat, but I just had an ear band because it wasn't that cold (33) and usually I end up with a sweaty head. .

Baboon

delicate flower

Nice racing, bluesky!

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 in the cold & wind. This wind needs to go away, I can deal with the temps, it's the constant wind.

Still Bluesky, nice race & splits.

workinprogress11

Perfect weather here for racing.  44 degrees F, 38 % humidity, sunny, no wind.

This age-grades out to a slightly better time than my best on this course from 3 years ago.

It is true that after 55 or 60 you need to train harder and better just to stay in the same place.

And just for the record - I really hate losing my age group.

That usually doesn't happen with local races, but this one was promoted enough to bring in some folks from SC.

A guy I've only come up against in raced down south showed up and gave me a lesson in racing - time of 27:54.

And the overall winning time was 19:32 - by three members of the ZAP fitness group in Boone, NC

In total there were 5 runners under 20 minutes, and the top female came in at 22:29

Great job!  Your prediction was spot on.

Cyberic

Nice job bluesky!!

i ran 5. Had a nice tempo run Thursday, 1 mile w.u with 4 mile tempo and 1 mile c.d. Had no pain anywhere felt fine. About an hour after my run right when we're leaving to go get dinner I started getting pain on the outside of my R foot. It got worse in the car and by the time I got out of the car I legit couldn't bare weight on it without horrible pain. The whole R side of my foot was throbbing. No swelling, just a little red. It was super tender to touch. It hurt more when I extended my toes so I thought maybe extensor tendinitis since I wore tight shoes that day.. but it was super tender to touch and I thought since I couldn't bear weight it had to be a stress fx. Yesterday it still hurt but got better and I could walk, and today it was sore when I woke up but went away, and I ran and had no pain at all and it feels fine now. Wtf? 🤔

I get weird pains like that sometimes: hurts a lot all of a sudden, but quickly (couple of days) goes away. But yours sounds like it hurt quite a bit if you thought it might be a stress fracture.

Hopefully it was nothing serious, just one of those weird occurences.

Zelanie

Nice job, bluesy! Sounds like a fast crowd.

We are in Portland for my birthday since it's about halfway between where we live and where my daughter goes to school. We got in late last night but lucky there isn't a gym in the hotel so I went out and had a great run along the south waterfront and over the new pedestrian/transit bridge.

This morning I had a birthday cupcake and then ran up the north part of the waterfront. Next time,  cupcake after run...

Having a really good time though! We have play tickets later on.