Beginners and Beyond

Report and LOTS of photos: Alamo Beer 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them

This was Race number 22 for me for the year 2015.   Alamo Beer 5K was held on May 2 in San Antonio, starting and finishing at the recently opened Alamo Beer brewery (http://alamobeer.com/) .   This race benefited the San Antonio chapter of veteran's organization Team RWB (Red White Blue -  http://www.teamrwb.org/ ) and a lot of my fellow members were at this race in force as both participants and on-course volunteers. The 5K started and finished on the brewery grounds.  In spite of a fall during a trail run on Thursday (April 30) in which I cut my knee pretty good, it behaved itself and did okay.  I ended up finishing in 32:57 and had no discomfort at all.  My time was good enough for 4th place, as the age groups were in 10 year divisions, and in my age group (60 - 69), we have some very speedy local old men.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

This race was so fun!  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and got camera-carried-away, taking nearly 100 total photos for this event.  So I will try to keep the verbiage to a minimum and let the photos do the 'talking".

Before the Start

Since this was an Alamo Beer run, for this event I wore my shirt from a past race that Alamo Beer had sponsored, and that I had gotten 'lettered" after I got it with my personal motivation message.  And my 'beer' running socks..very appropriate, huh? 

photo 099_zps8if24wjz.jpg

Got to the brewery grounds with about 45 minutes to start time and immediately began my pre-race photo ritual.

photo 001_zps4vjseduc.jpg

The party patio - not quite so busy yet

photo 002_zpswjq5kgsc.jpg

Part of the Historic Hay Bridge near the brewery

photo 006_zps7qu8qhlq.jpg

and the longer part we ran up at the start of the race

photo 071_zpsuyn0aku4.jpg

Yeah San Antonio Team RWB!

photo 004_zpshv7vuwuz.jpg

photo 022_zpsi1mq7faf.jpg

photo 025_zpswlfcoj8v.jpg

photo 026_zpsqxa7lwkf.jpg

Some more of the pre-start participants, supporters, etc.

photo 003_zps5gcbvpa5.jpg

photo 005_zpsuvgpfmj3.jpg

photo 007_zpsy8btlq59.jpg

photo 008_zpsb7tp8e04.jpg

photo 009_zpsuwqwigv0.jpg

photo 010_zpss3boqajn.jpg

photo 012_zpsal7vy8wx.jpg

These two lovely people are wearing the tech tees participants got

photo 014_zpsjfhmxzql.jpg

photo 016_zpsrho3kmgt.jpg

Brewery owner Gene (Eugene) with the lovely Tanya, one of my many "race acquaintances" that I see at lots of local races.  I had the pleasure of chatting with Gene for a bit....super nice guy.

photo 018_zps5ozdsxw9.jpg

photo 019_zpsgkvztkjp.jpg

photo 020_zps8gmzkgmh.jpg

photo 021_zps8sje3noo.jpg

photo 023_zpsbrxsdncb.jpg

photo 024_zpslvbd2nj5.jpg

photo 027_zpsp9dmidu7.jpg

photo 028_zpsjlv7yfvl.jpg

photo 029_zps8pf3vmo8.jpg

photo 030_zpsrqae9za9.jpg

Getting ready to start...in the start area

photo 031_zpsqdzbruzz.jpg

photo 032_zpstc8pfccm.jpg

photo 033_zpsjbcwbb8i.jpg

On the Course

Start at Alamo Brewery, head to the history Hays Street Bridge.  Up and over that, then a bit more climbing after the bridge.  Some flat after that as we had to the turn-around point, a bit of an incline climb after the turn-around point, and back the way we came out. Across the Hays Street Bridge again and back to Alamo Beer.

Up the longer side of Hays Street Bridge

photo 034_zpsh5g0yyaj.jpg

photo 035_zpsqhvhqkgi.jpg

A little more climbing to do after the bridge

photo 036_zpsiixp0xfb.jpg

photo 037_zpsjavquhba.jpg

photo 038_zpsdtfojoku.jpg

photo 039_zps0keg3qys.jpg

Ahhh, onto the flatter part of the course..

photo 040_zpsgfrww1ks.jpg

Turn-around point volunteer

photo 041_zpshx6dmgjt.jpg

A bit of an incline after the turn-around point

photo 042_zpsag7ds5r0.jpg

photo 043_zpsggvsjpum.jpg

photo 044_zpsfiwspptv.jpg

people on the right are coming off the turn-around point street, folks on the left will turn left to get to the turn-around

photo 046_zpscempwhf4.jpg

Heading back to the Hays Street Bridge..I'm on the left somewhere...folk on the right heading to the turn-round point

photo 045_zpsifkse9y9.jpg

photo 047_zpsmzhikwax.jpg

photo 048_zpsjpy6c3mz.jpg

photo 049_zpsfboy75fc.jpg

After that, it was nonstop running back to the brewery for me.  I was feeling pretty good and actually passed more people than passed me.

When I got to the fnish line, this good fellow - Robert "Evil" Evilsizer was calling in all the finishers.  He has been a local race announcer for many years and always does a great job.

photo 050_zps7hoq3l9v.jpg

After the Finish......PARTY! 

After the finish, there was cold water, gatorade, and food trucks from which you could purchase food, if desired.  Every participant had also gotten got 4 beer tickets with their race bib - 1 ticket for 8 oz glass of beer, 2 tickets for 16 oz - and participants got to keep the souvenir Alamo Beer 5K glass the beer came in, nice!

photo 055_zpsde5b83of.jpg

I got one large glass of beer and gave my other 2 tickets away, since I was driving. The souvenir glass was really nice.

photo 056_zps4nuuatcs.jpg

After enjoying my beer, I went around and got lots of photos of the "happy finishers', supporters of the participants, and race volunteers.

The patio area was now a little busier than it was before the start

photo 060_zpslpoknopx.jpg

photo 051_zpsdfit5ys7.jpg

photo 052_zpslslumob8.jpg

photo 053_zpsw71gwuvy.jpg

photo 057_zpslc8cbibd.jpg

photo 058_zpsruwuiial.jpg

photo 059_zpsoo7ahqsx.jpg

photo 061_zpskpuwepun.jpg

photo 062_zps3cvocivp.jpg

photo 063_zps7ldqn2tm.jpg

photo 064_zpsrkmjcnng.jpg

photo 065_zpsbeofukls.jpg

photo 066_zpsjfnexxiz.jpg

This gentleman had his beer and was wearing a Hurache Turbo shirt designed by one of my favorite people in the whole world, my friend and 'running crush" Ceci of iaapweb.com

photo 068_zps8h4iyqfl.jpg

Speedy Liza Galvan (right) who finished first overall female today in 18-something.  I think this is one of her daughters with her...but I'm old with a fuzzy memory at times, lol, so that might be incorrect on my part.   Gee, if it is her daughter, they look more like sisters to me than mother-and-daughter...and I bet her daughter loves hearing that, lol.

photo 069_zpsrcjlznac.jpg

photo 070_zpsl81ivoix.jpg

photo 072_zpsdvoyhgm8.jpg

photo 073_zps6y0udexz.jpg

Santa Claus loses his winter weight for summering in Texas.     Nice people, I had a nice bit of a chat with them.

photo 074_zpsqoziwzgt.jpg

photo 075_zps5wtfaf0n.jpg

photo 076_zps8dkumi4i.jpg

photo 077_zpspr5g4ge6.jpg

photo 078_zpslmtxxkgb.jpg

photo 079_zps2vzztxrz.jpg

photo 080_zpsmom8whfx.jpg

photo 086_zpse2xmpcza.jpg

photo 087_zpsh5xmujbg.jpg

photo 088_zpsox8b3blx.jpg

photo 091_zps5rjhu9mq.jpg

photo 092_zpsqjn61tdy.jpg

photo 093_zpsn6t9ia6s.jpg

photo 094_zps94jtisvj.jpg

Ceci and Jose..your folks really were at work this morning! 

photo 081_zpszqcqvmrj.jpg

Ariel Galvan - Liza's husband - on the left was overall male winner - 17:07.    Their college-bound daughter is also a very speedy runner.

Speed "runs" in their family!

photo 082_zpsbxzqg2k1.jpg

First place Liza with Mug award and Davy Crocket coonskin cap

photo 083_zpspuwxxhog.jpg

Liza and Ariel, 1st place female, first place male

photo 084_zpsue9lm6we.jpg

Liza, Alamo Beer owner Gene, and Ariel.

photo 085_zpspztqalee.jpg

AG award winner John, and lovely wife.  The AG awards were these giant bottle openers with the name of the race on it.

photo 089_zpsxzvggefx.jpg

John with AG awardee friend Lynn..two of the nicest people you could ever meet.

photo 090_zpspp2lr08r.jpg

No award for me but in the raffle I got one of those big mugs...

photo 096_zpsr8wcfmht.jpg

EPILOG

What a fun event!  Great race venue, and a  well-thought out course - although about  30 or so minutes after I had finished, a local train did come along behind the brewery grounds and did catch some of the back-of-the-pack folks and walkers, making them hold up a bit until the train passed.  But when you run in some areas of San Antonio that sometimes happens, dealing with trains is part of life around here; I did not hear or see anyone upset about the train, some of the few folks that I talked to that did get caught just kind of laughed it off.  Now, if it had come along at the start of the race instead of near the finish, that might've been a different story - especially for the speedier 'in the race for awards" folks.   But it's all good, it all seemed to work out today.  Really nice after-party with free beer - how can you beat free beer? - some good weather for May in San Antonio - sunny, blue skies, about 64 degrees at 8 a.m. start time, no wind - and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves on the patio after the run.    Much thanks to our Alamo Beer Company hosts and all the race volunteers who made this one possible for we participants; big thanks to our law enforcement folks out there keeping us safe on the roads - and a special thanks to the one officer I saw who stopped some idiot who was backing out of his driveway and not looking right when a group of runners was just then passing by - and mucho thanks to all our other sponsors. This event is definitely a keeper on the race calender!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Definitely your kind of race:  good weather, friends, and lots of beer.  Sounds like a good event.

Zelanie

Nice race, and it sounds like they were pretty generous with those post-race beer tickets!  Looks like a lovely course, but tough too.  Glad the knee behaved.

LRB

I totally dig that mug Scotty.

delicate flower

Tech shirt and a pint glass....score!  And I do believe I saw a NACHO TRUCK in one of those pics!

<3

delicate flower

Every race needs a nacho truck.

<3

Nacho truck and beer garden.  You can't lose.