Beginners and Beyond

Boston Pengiuns (Read 23 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And Chicago was HOT last year (even for me) but flatter.  Could've been a combo of the weather and course.  Boo.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

And Chicago was HOT last year (even for me) but flatter.  Could've been a combo of the weather and course.  Boo.

Yeah he DNFed.  Apparently he just started sweating uncontrollably after the 15k mark.  He went to the med tent to cool off, and then decided to continue to get to a 15 mile jog since his time goals were shot. By the time he reached the half mark decided to drop instead of risking passing out on the course.  Then he collapsed in the med tent and spent a couple of hours there recovering.  I guess it is better to drop from the race than wind up in the ER like some foolish idiot I know ;-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

I had the same kind of heat at Lost Dutchman.  It's deceptive because it doesn't feel bad when you start, but after a while it really gets to you if you don't adjust for it.  (Which I didn't.)

Today was warm here (78) so I went to the forest roads, hoping for shade and cooler temps.  I forgot that the hardwoods haven't leafed out yet ;-) I did okay on the way out, but ended up walking a lot on the way back because I overheated. Still it was nice to run in the woods with no traffic, no lawns and no fertilizer/pesticides. (The field across from our house was sprayed with liquid pig poop yesterday.  Yech!)  It was a hilly route (712' over 10 miles) so I discovered that I really need to work on hills and heat.