Beginners and Beyond

RR- iRun for Kids 10 mile (Read 71 times)

Mmmmm...beer

As others have mentioned, I think that's an outstanding result given that you're in the middle of your training.  Make sure you recover properly and you're going to kill that half! Smile  Great job!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Zelanie, I think you did a great job.  Congrats!

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Without really tapering for this race, it's a solid performance. It wouldn't surprise me if you were able to hold that pace for your HM and run about 1:53:30.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You actually ran a really, really good race.  You have such high standards, i think sometimes, you forget celebrate how well you're doing.  YOu're in the middle of a VERY hard training program, and even tired managed to run a speedy race that anybody could be proud of.  I KNOW you're going to do fantastic in your half.

Personally, I think this is more how you should be feeling:

+1!  You did great, Zelanie!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

My coworker's son (about my age) passed me with a couple of miles to go and ended up finishing 2 minutes ahead. I might have had her tell him that I'm up for a rematch if he signs up for the HM. Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great running, Zelanie!  It's hard to really nail a race of that distance when it comes in the middle of training for an even longer distance.  I think you ran really well.  Honestly though, not being satisfied and wanting to do better are good things.  You deserve to cut yourself some slack though.  Keep your eyes on the prize.

I agree with Baboon. You have run A LOT of miles in the last month and you are tired. Don't be hard on yourself. You have come so far with your running and you know what to do. Rest up and enjoy whatever taper you have coming. I am predicting a big PR for you in your HM.

LRB

LRB- I put in the bit about the cooldown more in the name of science.  I tried it after my 5K and felt great, so I thought what the heck, let's see what happens.  And it wasn't pretty.  But I had cooled down and even hit the massage table before I went back out.

Ah, that answers that then.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice report, but I feel like such a slacker now  .

Watch out for those stalkers in the silver jackets !!!

Love the Half

I too have found that euphoric feeling elusive.  Without question, the best race of my life was my last marathon when I managed a sub 3:00 despite a lot of adversity during training and during the race.  Still, I felt like hell the entire race and when I was finished, I was just done.  I was barely excited about what had just happened.  My HM PR by contrast was one of those days when I didn't know what I might be capable of doing and my legs flew the whole way.  I felt great that day.  My 5K PR was just a miserable suckfest from start to finish but hey, that pretty much describes a 5K now doesn't it.

Don't look for the feeling.  It will find you and sometimes not on a day when you PR.  My one and only outright win came on a course when I ran 20 seconds slower than my best time on that course but I by god won and that counted for way, way more than a few seconds.

Congrats on hanging in there even when you weren't having the best of days.  It's really easy to simply call it a day and jog it when you're struggling.  I think there's a lot of mental toughness built when you keep pressing even though you know it's going to be a rough race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

SheCan

My coworker's son (about my age) passed me with a couple of miles to go and ended up finishing 2 minutes ahead. I might have had her tell him that I'm up for a rematch if he signs up for the HM. Smile

Hehehe, this is a wonderful idea!  You should.

And I totally agree with LTH.  Judging a race based solely on the time, really is flattening a much broader experience.  The racing experience can be about the camaraderie, the feeling in your legs & lungs when you let yourself go all out, the crowds, the awards, watching the others finish, the after-party, etc.  In my opinion, too many people let a number ruin what should have been a great day.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Pinktastic

Great job, Zelanie!   Considering how many miles you've been hammering out, I think you did Pinktastically!   I know that you are gonna knock that goal HM OUT of the park!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Zel, don't be hard on yourself, you run a great race! Just look at your splits.

Yes! You did great!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

workinprogress11

Here's another vote for the fact that you ran a great race on tired legs and are just ready for your taper.  You've worked very hard and need to give yourself a break both physically and mentally before your HM.  You are a terrifically dedicated runner and have come very far!

Congrats, Zelanie.

I agree with some others here:  this race should position you to do really well in your upcoming HM, along with your tough training.  On fresh legs, you may not even feel like it's 3.1 miles longer.

Well done on an extra-long tuneup.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I'll pile on the congrats. You ran solid and I can't wait to see what you'll do in your HM. Best of luck to you!