Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies for 9/20 (Read 37 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Isn't NYC even harder to get into via qualifying than Boston??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

For me it's a 3:15 marathon or 1:34 half.

I was just needling you, your point is valid. Of the two, I would have a better shot at running the half marathon qualifying time, even though it seems practically impossible. For some however, it would be the opposite.

LRB

Isn't NYC even harder to get into via qualifying than Boston??

Very.

onemile

I was just needling you, your point is valid. Of the two, I would have a better shot at running the half marathon qualifying time, even though it seems practically impossible. For some however, it would be the opposite.

Well, in your example, there is an 11 sec difference between the half marathon and marathon pace required. Most people can't run a marathon at HMP+11 seconds!

bluerun

Super B****

Very.

But you can qualify with a half, which is better for people like me.  (Not that I can make that qualifying time.  But still.)

chasing the impossible

LRB

Well, in your example, there is an 11 sec difference between the half marathon and marathon pace required. Most people can't run a marathon at HMP+11 seconds!

I don't "know" anyone who can. lol

Using the sub 3:00 marathon time as the basis, there are those who can run it in their sleep (not literally!), but who may have a harder time running the half marathon equivalent. I do know a couple of those types, it's weird.

LRB

But you can qualify with a half, which is better for people like me.  (Not that I can make that qualifying time.  But still.)

Since the standard was lowered in 2014, the half marathon time is not so far fetched anymore. For instance, mine went from 1:25 to 1:28. Now on the surface, it may not seem like much, but that's actually huge!

bluerun

Super B****

Since the standard was lowered in 2014, the half marathon time is not so far fetched anymore. For instance, mine went from 1:25 to 1:28. Now on the surface, it may not seem like much, but that's actually huge!

It's 1:32 for me.  Can't do that.  But irrelevant because A. I don't have to time qualify since I can do 9+1, although B. I don't want to do this again!  So it's all good.

chasing the impossible

Or I could run the Monster Dash HM in Chicago on Oct 23rd instead. 1hr 30 min drive.  70 bucks for the race fee.  Flat course along the lakefront.

This one.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For years it was 2:55 for the 45 - 49 age group, which was hi-jinks and hilarity as far as I am concerned. lol

BQ times in 1980:
                      open men - 2:50

Masters men 40+ - 3:10

Women - 3:20

When I ran my 2:56 in 1980 it wasn't good enough to BQ.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Ric-G

When I ran my 2:56 in 1980 it wasn't good enough to BQ.

That's crazy. I know things change, times change, etc. Bet the field wasn't 30,000 either. The BAA figured out the marketing angle and increased business for the locals. More power to them.

I will go out on a limb and bet we don't see qualifying times like that again. 🙂

marathon pr - 3:16