Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Grab Their Nuts Thursday (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Grab your nuts, Penguins!  And go to a local park because January 21 is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

It's also National Hugging Day, but I would not recommend trying to hug a squirrel...the little rodent might try to grab your nuts....

Adventure run/walk after work yesterday. So I go to the Schertz YMCA, start from there for a nice-and-easy 3-mile run. But, of course, I see a new road - AGAIN! - I haven't been down before so the 'dog' in me comes out and off I go, exploring. My 3-mile outing turned into 6 miles - mainly because I have this 'thing' about NOT turning around and going back the way I came, lol. S instead of doing that, I kept going and made a big LOOP to get back to the Y. Finally finished in an hour and 8 minutes. The longest I've run in a very long time. I was one tired old dog, lol; but also some nice satisfaction knowing my arthritic back can hold up for 6 miles.   For my run/walk today after work, I will be very disciplined and REALLY do only a very easy 3 miles...maybe.. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning "Marathon" Scotty and Pens.

Gym for me this afternoon and then probably a short run at the track.

Hugs to all.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL, Scotty!

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.

Damaris

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Nice running, Scotty!

I'm headed to the park this morning and I'm sure I'll see some squirrels.  I'll do my best to appreciate them as I blaze by (tempo run at HMP this morning).

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Scotty - love the title today

Jerry - enjoy the gym

DR - do you run or do pilates first?  Does it affect your performance?

Allison - have fun squirrel scaring ;-)

Ugh, all of my planned running hasn't happened this week.  I got sick after attending that weekend event (we all rented a huge house and drank/played board games), now hubby is sick as well.  It turns out that the girl who was sick managed to infect at least a third of the attendees.  I'm fucking pissed. If you are sick, it is extremely inappropriate to visit a crowded, sleep-deprived communal house -- especially when there are babies in attendance.  I'm not really close with the parents of the baby, but I hope that the poor 15 month old child didn't catch this, because it is keeping 7 full grown adults from work so I can only imagine how sick it would make a baby.  //rant over

Anyway, given the sickness, I'm sort of glad that the half will be in blizzard/snowy conditions.  I won't try to push myself because I'm terrified of falling in the snow/ice, which is probably better for my body. =P  I think my plan is just to rest until Sunday (or do a couple easy and short TM runs if I am feeling it) and if I wake up feeling okay I'll go to the race.  It may be cancelled... and I'm not sure whether or not I want it to be at this point.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I do Pilates class first.  I have done a hard Pilates workout and a 10 with 6 at MP back to back.  I just have to tell her not to kill my legs during the workout.  Like making me go on the chair.  She usually ignores my requests.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Our gig last night was lovely -- really nice people, although there weren't more than 20 of them.  Still, a good time was had by all.  Tonight is chorus rehearsal, woo-hoo!!  I'll need the fun after what's turning out to be a day of meetings today.  And then the snow is supposed to start falling, so I expect I'll be working from home tomorrow, which is always nice.  The day is so much shorter without the commute!

Scotty -- Laughing at your accidental six!!  Enjoy your easy 3 ... maybe!

Jerryb -- Have fun at the gym and short track!!  Short track racing is the most exciting, right?

Docket -- enjoy your Pilates and six!!

Brilliant -- The squirrels will get their fur blown off by your amazing speed!!

Jill -- sorry you've had such a rough week!!  I agree, sick people should stay home with their germs.  That's my policy, anyway.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I do Pilates class first.  I have done a hard Pilates workout and a 10 with 6 at MP back to back.  I just have to tell her not to kill my legs during the workout.  Like making me go on the chair.  She usually ignores my requests.

Like wrestling, right?  "Give her the chair!!!"

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

LOL, Scotty!  Love our title today!  I ate a cashew before I realized I shoulda shared it with the squirels, whom I greatly appreciate.  Smile

BTW, great job on the 6 miles.  Tired but proud can be a wonderful feeling.

Jerry-- hey you, and hugs right back atcha!    Have a good gym day!

DR--  I just can't imagine doing everything you're always doing even on an your easy day anyway.  I think your Pilates instructor believes that you can do ANYTHING.

Brilliant-- good luck with your tempo!

Jill-- omgosh, I'm sorry about your weekend & week.   Not getting any runs in this week will in no way negatively affect your race, if anything it'll make you stronger come race day.  The being sick, however, might leave you drained.  Good luck to you.  We'll be rooting for you to feel better by Sunday.

HM-- ahhhh, I'm so glad your gig turned out well.  You sure seem a lot more okay with getting snow than a lot of us would.  Well, hopefully you will get enough that you do get to stay home.

I'm gonna take a rest day, and then go hang out with friends later.  Hubby finally went to the doctor yesterday with some foot pain, and they told him that he'd seriously injured his ankle last week, and had been making it worse all week by walking on it... hmmmm, as a wife, I remember telling him he needed to take sick leave and go to the doctor.  Grrrr@ men!

For me, I made the appt. for the pain clinic because i'd been having some on going pain for several years--especially at night.  Skeletal issues run in our family, and I rather hoped I could stay active and I would be the miraculous one not to get any health problems. However age happened & ignoring the aches hasn't worked.   And yes, I do think it's affected my running the last year & 1/2 or so, simply because it's caused a host of weird health problems that you wouldn't think would be related.  Yup, I feel I've entered OLD people territory   Good thing though, I hurt whether I run or not, so I might as well do it in moderation anyway!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Scotty - congratulations on doing the long run yesterday.  I also prefer loops to out and backs.  I don't know why, since things often look different when you go back the other way.

Jerry - enjoy your gym and track time.

D - have fun at pilates tonight.  Enjoy your run too.

Allison - I hope your tempo run went well.  A park is a good place for that since you won't have to deal with traffic.

Jill - sorry you got sick.  I've been on both sides of that: the one who infected everyone and the one who got sick.  I remember that I didn't really feel sick until I got there, and then it was too late.  Have fun with your run in the snow on Sunday, if they do hold the race.

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal tonight.  Enjoy tomorrow's snow day, if you get one.

Cherie - enjoy your rest day.  And good luck keeping your husband off his feet.  It's hard for active people to really rest.

I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange my runs to do as much as possible outside.  Saturday's 10 miler will happen today.  I still don't know when I'll get my 20.  Maybe tomorrow before the snow starts to fall, maybe on Monday after the snow if we don't get too much or if I can get out to the park where they usually clear the paths (10 loops, whoopee!) Or I may just do another TM filmfest. We aren't expecting the blizzard that DC and NY are getting, but a foot of snow is enough to make a mess of the roads.

Wandering Wally

Scotty - Haha! We have squirrels who can open the suet feeder and remove the suet block. They can only drag it a little ways though. They like the peanuts and sunflower seeds my wife puts in her suet mix.

4-ish miles on tap for tonight.

Ginny - Following up from yesterday: We have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. It's hard to tell exactly because it settles and blows around.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Brilliant

I ended up with 9.5 miles, 6 of them at a little slower than HMP.  It was hard!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you East-coasters - Ginny, Jill, Hopesmom - anybody else in the path?  It's even affecting air traffic through Dallas; my hubby is having trouble getting to his connection to get home from Tampa.

Jill,  when people go places sick.  A teen boy showed up at my son's birthday party one time with a fever!  His mom is/was one of my best friends and I just said to her "He can't stay!"  SMH.  Anyway I hope you feel better soon.

Ginny, good luck with getting those last runs in before the taper.

Cherie, I hope you get it figured out.  Old people territory can be a pain.