Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES; A little bit of everything, except sun (Read 32 times)

delicate flower

Oski pointed that out to me on Strava. I decided to get my run in rather than try to arrange an FE; I figured you'd understand. And turns out you weren't there anyway. I knew you were in Spfld, but didn't know where; if I may say, you work in a somewhat unsavory area. You'd have to be stupid to, say, go out running alone at night around there. We have a plant in Agawam. In the past I've stayed at the Marriott or Sheraton, on the slightly nicer side of downtown. But La Quinta was half the price, so I guess you get what you pay for. I would add - I stayed in downtown Bridgeport last night, and I'd say it's even seedier than Springfield.

They are both shit holes.  It's funny when people ask me for restaurant recommendations in Springfield.  I've worked here 15 years and have no idea because I am not stupid enough to venture outside.

<3

Cyberic

So, so, so... I'm entering the final 6 weeks before my half-marathon, and I want to get specific. Here's two approaches I'm considering:

• Hansons has 2 workouts per week. On Tuesdays 6 miles at 10K pace with 400m or 800m recovery between sets (depending if it's 1 mile, 1.5 miles or 2 miles chunks), and on Thursdays 6 consecutive miles at HMP.
      • Daniels also has 2 workouts per week. One workout mid week consisting of a lot of Threshold pace running (between 10K pace and HMP)  with jog breaks, and one on a weekend day that is either a 2 hour long run, or a mix of MP and Threshold paced workout. He also adds strides on a couple of Easy days in the week until 3 weeks to race day, where the strides stop.

Both make a lot of sense to me, and I don't which approach to take, or how to mix them in something I like.

I've had success with Hansons on the marathon. I like how the race pace gets almost natural from running it so much. All workouts during week days makes for a lot of early mornings running, though.

I like that Daniels has one workout during the weekend, and only one during the week. He also has some pace mixes in a same run (ex: 45 min E + 30 min M + 20 min T , non stop, no rest). But with Daniels I don't get to run at race pace. Is running at MP useful for HM training?

I have a few days to decide.

LRB

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but I scored my first sub-1:30 using the Daniels method of steady state E/MP/T/MP/T/E runs, on a course that had a steady headwind during the last third.

6:48, 6,49, 6:45, 6:44, 6:45, 6:45, 6:44, 6:47, 6:47, 6:51, 6:51: 6:59, 6:59.

Cyberic

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but I scored my first sub-1:30 using the Daniels method of steady state E/MP/T/MP/T/E runs, on a course that had a steady headwind during the last third.

6:48, 6,49, 6:45, 6:44, 6:45, 6:45, 6:44, 6:47, 6:47, 6:51, 6:51: 6:59, 6:59.

And how did you "like" or find the E-MP-T-MP-T-E workouts? I've never done anything like that.

Hip Redux

Oski pointed that out to me on Strava.

I stayed in downtown Bridgeport last night, and I'd say it's even seedier than Springfield.

YES I DID.

BTW - all you needed was Troy, New York and you could completed the Northeast Shit Hole Hat Trick.

No more marathons

So, so, so... I'm entering the final 6 weeks before my half-marathon, and I want to get specific. Here's two approaches I'm considering:

I have a few days to decide.

I'm only 4 weeks out from my half,  You could just go back two weeks on my calendar and adjust paces accordingly.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

I'm only 4 weeks out from my half,  You could just go back two weeks on my calendar and adjust paces accordingly.  

Thanks. Onemile has also suggested I do something like that. Your workouts seem a little too tough for me. What you guys get is a notch above what I'w willing to do (capable of?) right now.

onemile

A couple thoughts...

I personally prefer 1 workout + 1 long run workout to 2 workouts + 1 easy paced long run.  Partly because if I have a hard Friday workout, a lot of times I am still feeling it on Sunday and my long run is rather miserable.  And partly because I feel the fittest after doing a few good hard long run workouts.  Right now Addie seems to be alternating every other week.

I do think running around MP is useful

I also like to include some race pace miles. They give me confidence and I feel like the more I do, the easier that pace becomes

I would have a hard time mentally to have to run 6 straight miles at HMP every week

Cyberic

Oops, wrong day

LRB

And how did you "like" or find the E-MP-T-MP-T-E workouts? I've never done anything like that.

I had my years mixed up, the workout I was thinking about was actually 3E, 4MP, 3T, 1E run in a straight shot.

Daniels' was the only plan I ever followed, so I didn't give it much thought. It was simply a task that had to be completed. The spits don't really show it but it was the most well executed race I've ever run (as was another half later that fall). I killed it.

The Daniels half marathon plan is a departure from the norm, as most plans have you train at race pace or at goal race pace. I ran two great races with it, but others do as well or better using "traditional" methods. YMMV