Beginners and Beyond

Terminally ill man wins marathon with daughter (Read 103 times)

I'm glad stories like this make it onto main stream media

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Jess runs for bacon

Ugh, where did all thIs sand come from? *sniff*

YAYpril - B-Plus

For Pete's sake, who is cutting onions near my desk at 9:15 on a Tuesday?

Seriously though, that is a wonderful story. I am also glad that stories like that make it to mainstream media.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awww.  Great story but it made me cry too.

Damaris

Yea, perhaps I should have added a warning statement. Sad and inspiring. 

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

GC100k

I'm a horrible person.

I read this touching story and my dominant thought is "he can train for and run a marathon but he can't do any type of work?  Really?"

Heck, if I had a terminal disease and could afford to spend time with my kids rather than work, I'd do it.

Again, I'm a horrible person.

Dr. Cornsitter

I'm a horrible person.

I read this touching story and my dominant thought is "he can train for and run a marathon but he can't do any type of work?  Really?"

Heck, if I had a terminal disease and could afford to spend time with my kids rather than work, I'd do it.

Seizures probably are the reason he can't work.

It's okay, you're not a horrible person. I'm sure his Long Term Disability insurance carrier is questioning it as well. And we all know they're good people, right?

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

happylily

He's leaving such a beautiful gift to his daughter... He's a great dad. I hope with all my heart that he defies the odds.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

True hero for his family

Love the Half

I'm a horrible person.

Yeah, I'm a horrible person too.  When I read "terminally ill", I'm thinking someone who will be dead in six months or a year.  According to the article, he's 32 and doctors are hoping he'll see 40.

I'd guess the reason he can't work is the seizures.  But, I'm thinking, if he can't work because he might have seizures at work, what happens when he's at home by himself and has a seizure?  Then again, I have a brother in law who is on permanent disability from war injuries and you wouldn't think he's permanently disabled to look at him.  He can actually go out and work a hard day but then he spends the next day on the couch in a lot of discomfort.  Not too many jobs will let you work every other day.

I think there's a lot to this story we don't know but that's typical of stories that appear in most outlets.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

BTW, any time you spend with your kids is good time.  When we are 80, very few of us will say, "gee, I wish I'd spent more time at the office."  Many of us may say, "gee, I wish I'd spent more time with my kids."  That's the main reason I have zero regrets about making a whole lot less as a college professor than I could practicing law full time.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

He has been sentenced to the slow erosion of his faculties (he says he already suffers memory and language problems and cannot drive) and will die an early death. I would guess if you gave him the option, he'd give just about anything to be a healthy, regular working stiff than to have all the time in the world right now to run.

Zelanie

Thanks for sharing this story.  Very heartwarming.

My dad is also disabled due to brain cancer.  Well, he is retirement age now, but was on disability until he hit retirement age.  If you met him, you might not have any idea that he is disabled at all.  When he first came out of surgery, he was paralyzed on one side and couldn't talk.  But he relearned how to walk and talk.  He relearned how to tie his shoes and do basic math, and all of those daily things you take for granted.  He even went back to work.  But it turns out that there are often very subtle effects that are left over from something as invasive as brain surgery.  He tried, but he simply was not able to do his job anymore.  And he was a complete workaholic when I was growing up, so believe me, if there was a way he would have found it.

I would guess a lot of brain cancer patients have had a similar experience.  There are all kinds of things that can get messed up when you go rooting around inside somebody's skull.

Interestingly enough, my dad has also used his spare time to become something of a gym rat.  He started going for his surgery rehab, of course, and the habit just stuck.  I wonder if something similar happened to the guy in the article.  I hope he has many, many years left with his daughter.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

I think he is comparatively lucky.  My dad was diagnosed with brain cancer and was dead within 4 months.   It's all relative.    Good for him for making the most of the time he has left in a way that is meaningful for him.  And lucky for him that he  has enough time to do so.