Beginners and Beyond

Lithium-Ion battery life (Read 24 times)

Cyberic

Since the answer Bluerun got from Garmin did not compute, I decided to read about lithium-ion batteries.

There is lots of contradictory info out there, mostly on forums. Everyone is an expert, it seems.

One aspect is common pretty much all over, though, and that is heat is a lithium-ion battery's enemy.

I thought I'd share some stuff I read that seemed to come from rather reliable sources:

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle. Apple lithium-ion batteries are designed to hold at least 80% of their original capacity for a high number of charge cycles, which varies depending on the product.

Source: https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

And about using the USB port vs Wall outlet, it's because the wall outlet typically produces more power, so, among other things, the battery will charge faster, but produce more heat while doing so, and heat is a battery's enemy.

Simple Guidelines to Prolong Lithium-ion Batteries

• Do not discharge Li-ion too low; charge more often. A random or partial charge is fine. Li-ion does not need to be fully full charged as with lead acid.
    • Heat the battery to room temperature before charging. Do not charge below freezing.
    • Limit the time the battery resides at 4.2V/cell (full charge), especially when warm.
    • Moderate the charge current to between 0.5C and 0.8C for cobalt-blended lithium-ion. Avoid ultra-fast charging and harsh loading.
    • When possible, lower the charge voltage limit to prolong battery life.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_increase_the_runtime_of_your_wireless_device

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Interesting - I've always thought it was better to run things down to near 0. It looks like I've been mistaken. I suppose I'll see if I can get in the habit of putting the watch on the charger more often. The trouble is, when it's giving constant data (HR and more significantly, sleep), I hate to take it off.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Cyberic

Interesting - I've always thought it was better to run things down to near 0. It looks like I've been mistaken. I suppose I'll see if I can get in the habit of putting the watch on the charger more often. The trouble is, when it's giving constant data (HR and more significantly, sleep), I hate to take it off.

The more often you charge it, the less time it takes. I usually charge mine every day, and it takes the time of a shower and a quick snack. When I wait until the battery is deader, it takes much longer to charge.

But I am plugged in a wall outlet, not on a USB port of a computer 

bluerun

Super B****

All of the conflicting information out there was why I asked Garmin in the first place. Unfortunately it didn't do much to clear things up for me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

"With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle"

If this is accurate, and you complete a charging cycle in two days using the 75%/25% example, isn't the capacity of the battery being diminished more rapidly than if it took 5 days to complete a charging cycle?

Cyberic

"With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle"

If this is accurate, and you complete a charging cycle in two days using the 75%/25% example, isn't the capacity of the battery being diminished more rapidly than if it took 5 days to complete a charging cycle?

You wouldn't last 5 days with the above example if the battery went down to 25% in one of those days.

I think one charge cycle will be attained in the same amount of time, depending on usage, whether you charge it often or less often.

LRB

You wouldn't last 5 days with the above example if the battery went down to 25% in one of those days.

I think one charge cycle will be attained in the same amount of time, depending on usage, whether you charge it often or less often.

Put another way; if it takes 5 days to drain the battery fully and complete a charging cycle, based on the statement that the capacity diminishes slightly with each charging cycle, wouldn't completing the charging cycle every two days diminish the capacity faster.

Cyberic

Put another way; if it takes 5 days to drain the battery fully and complete a charging cycle, based on the statement that the capacity diminishes slightly with each charging cycle, wouldn't completing the charging cycle every two days diminish the capacity faster.

(From the Apple quote in the original post) You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity

For Apple, a charging cycle is not defined as the act of plugging your phone for a charge, but as a 100% battery capacity usage.