Beginners and Beyond

First Post: Race Report (Read 75 times)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Hello Everyone!

I just joined this group on the recommendation of Jerry from my 2016 in 2016 team. I usually don't post in the RA forums, although I visit the site everyday to update my log.

Anyway, Jerry recommended that I post race reports here because you all provide good feedback! Here is my 10K report from New Year's eve. Usually I don't complain so much in race reports, I promise!

I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you!

-Elizabeth

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Zelanie

Welcome and glad you decided to jump in!  I've never heard of a 5K starting before a 10K on a double loop course.  Glad you were able to maneuver through without too much trouble!

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Yeah, I really don't understand why we don't all start together! Thanks for reading!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad you found us, Elizabeth.  Now if I ever see cones in front of the finish line, I'll know to run through them.  When is the next race?

LRB

I missed a turn during a 10k once and it was the person behind me who yelled to get my attention or I would still be running! It's a tough position to be in for sure, I don't know if there's a standard way to handle that kind of stuff or not.

The 10k is a tough distance, that last mile split wasn't too bad all things considered. Nice job.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Welcome, Elizabeth!

I also make a wrong turn in a 10K and ended up running the 5K.  We all started together and there were no signs or people telling us were to turn.  Waste of a drive, let me tell you.

Great job on your race, though.  And I cannot believe they started the 5K before the 10K, gah.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  You did really well in a confusing and not so easy race.

DavePNW

Very nice job considering the circumstances. IMHO, your complaints are completely justified. When you pay for a race, the bare minimum requirements are to be properly measured and well marked. For me, a race so poorly organized would mean an end to the tradition. (Although being close to home would make it tempting.)

The course congestion, hills, and wind certainly made this a tough race. Although running the first mile of a 10k at your 5k pace probably made it that much tougher for you to hang on at the end. I can relate to the paces, since our 5k & 10k PR's are just seconds apart. (Although you are much faster at half & marathon!)

Congtatulations on the AG win & gift certificate -- that makes it all worthwhile!

MTA: I was on Jerry's 2015 team. Stay away from him, he's trouble.

Dave

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Whaaat...us northsiders are never trouble. :P

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Jerry- My next race is a 10K on February 14. I just updated our doc!

LRB- I agree- it's hard when someone goes the wrong way. It's also hard to make good decisions and communicate with others at the end of a tough race!

Docket Rocket- oh that would annoy me so much to have made a wrong turn and ended up with 5K. At least you got a good workout in!

Ginny - thanks!

Dave- Yes, I have actually been thinking about maybe not doing this race again. Or maybe I will switch to the 5K because then I won't have to deal with weaving through walkers. It's just that I do a Turkey Trot 5K every year, so I like to change things up with a 10K on NYE! Also, the first mile felt like 10K pace- it was a tailwind net downhill. But yeah, I kind of paid for that later! That's cool we have similar paces/PRs. I'll keep an eye out for Jerry! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats on handling the race situation so well. I have a traditional Fourth of July event that has 5K, 10K, and 15K races on a 5K loop. Even starting all together there are problems at the finish for the 10K and 15K runners having to dodge walkers and strollers finishing the 5K when they are sprinting to finish.

Don't take Garmin distances too seriously. My Garmin handbook even notes there is a 1-3% margin of error, while certification is held to a much more stringent standard.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Race Organizer definitely needs to change a few th8ngs. Some very simple changes would work wonders.

Not so great an input here, just wanted to say hi Elizabeth

Love the Half

Hi and welcome to the group.  Having been a race director a few times, I can say that most race directors welcome constructive input.  Communicate in a non-complaining way with suggestions for improvements and you may well see your suggestions implemented.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).