Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 53 Scorcher 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2053%20Summer%20Scorcher%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 53rd race of 2018 was Scorcher 5K and Kid’s Run held on July 21 at Mission Park in San Antonio, a very nice park adjacent to paved trails that go along the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Event was put on by Runbar, a local company that does running, coaching, etc.   Timing and results were done by iaapweb, another great running and race management company.  5K time was 7:45 a.m. which was good since we’ve been having a string of 100+ degree temps this summer, so an early start was a blessing.  Even so it was still pretty warm, already creeping toward 80 degrees when we got started.  I live pretty close to the park so got there with about an hour to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_4403_zpsbusjykqb.jpg

Brought to us by...

photo IMG_4404_zps4jsmcg2e.jpg

iaap folks for the timing, results, etc.

photo IMG_4402_zpsm4ksddot.jpg

Our MC, Bob, doing his usual great job, and our music and sound man

photo IMG_4405_zpscmxp0db3.jpg

photo IMG_4406_zpsw3rddxmf.jpg

photo IMG_4407_zpsg4c076ex.jpg

Various participants, including me, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo IMG_4408_zps3umr7lig.jpg

photo IMG_4409_zps8agf7lqk.jpg

photo IMG_4410_zpskps0h3hv.jpg

photo IMG_4411_zps3th6bman.jpg

photo IMG_4412_zpsqsxz8cdy.jpg

photo IMG_4413_zpsincycdce.jpg

photo IMG_4414_zpsfuxjyopf.jpg

photo IMG_4416_zpsivicwcfm.jpg

photo IMG_4417_zps6orh3sfh.jpg

photo IMG_4418_zps56v81ptf.jpg

photo IMG_4419_zps3ta6ohz8.jpg

photo IMG_4420_zps5mutkwxu.jpg

I got the best side of my friend Jon...

photo IMG_4421_zpsw9fcyv6s.jpg

Ok, here is his real best side...Jennifer! 

photo IMG_4423_zpsdtdqaeyk.jpg

photo IMG_4422_zpszqtzimsk.jpg

photo IMG_4424_zpsbyzfaxaj.jpg

photo IMG_4425_zpsogkogims.jpg

photo IMG_4426_zps4h2b7gwd.jpg

photo IMG_4427_zpsxahkoump.jpg

photo IMG_4428_zpsfxiedq5f.jpg

My friend Dan ran the 5K carrying the flag

photo IMG_4429_zpsuwej4osk.jpg

photo IMG_4431_zpskznax9me.jpg

photo IMG_4432_zpshl9trgcd.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started in the park area and then down to the Riverwalk trails for an out-and-back course.  The route was hilly in a few places but provided some really nice views of the river was we went along. We crossed one of the river bridges twice, once going out and then coming back.  Just before we turned back into the park to go to the finish line we had a long up incline – not steep just long – and after that the last bit was flat to the finish line.

My first walk break, a little over a half mile into the 5K.  Crossing the bridge

photo IMG_4433_zpswwni0ohy.jpg

And the first uphill on the course

photo IMG_4434_zps4utiu9x3.jpg

photo IMG_4435_zpserpcwptc.jpg

Nice view of the river from the hill

photo IMG_4437_zpsijxijgjr.jpg

photo IMG_4438_zpsij8ehou3.jpg

photo IMG_4441_zpsyu42yqru.jpg

photo IMG_4439_zpsessp6k2r.jpg

Top of the hill..where I will be in a minute or so

photo IMG_4440_zpsrwumpsoh.jpg

My speedy friend Dan whipped right by me carrying the flag.  

photo IMG_4442_zps6z9j2kxq.jpg

photo IMG_4443_zpsfygsf2ve.jpg

Made the turn-round, heading back to the finish.  This is on the way to Mile 2 marker for me.  People heading to the turn-round and people heading to the finish.

photo IMG_4444_zps66mnya84.jpg

photo IMG_4445_zpsug9fuiwp.jpg

photo IMG_4446_zpsvqy6sfgp.jpg

photo IMG_4447_zps8tiqvdnb.jpg

photo IMG_4448_zps9xbmv2gm.jpg

photo IMG_4449_zps84oqmhue.jpg

Mama was pushing that stroller so fast this one got a bit blurred, lol

photo IMG_4450_zpsswxz8bwp.jpg

View of the bridge from the top of the hill we climbed going out

photo IMG_4451_zpsaivt2yiv.jpg

Heading down the hill to cross the bridge and head to the finish

photo IMG_4452_zpsmpoozlze.jpg

On the bridge now.  Looking downriver...

photo IMG_4453_zps0iqge8bp.jpg

Looking upriver

photo IMG_4454_zpsu9nvhfvn.jpg

After that, nonstop to the finish.  34:27 for me, 5th in my age group of 60 - 69 (10 year age groups)

AFTER MY FINISH

Iced-down towels handed out at the finish – nice!  I grabbed one of those and plopped it on my head – ahhhhh – got a bottle of water and went and found some shade to sit in.  Just chilled out for a bit, letting the iced towel thaw and drip cold water all over me – felt great – while sipping my water.  Felt much refreshed after that and went to get some after photos of the ‘happy finishers’, volunteers, supporters, etc.

The iced towel sure feels good on my head.  With friend Dan who finished way ahead of me, and carried the flag for the whole route.

photo IMG_4455_zpspsdlrepz.jpg

Various people post-race

photo IMG_4456_zpsupuir4tu.jpg

photo IMG_4457_zpswnho02ek.jpg

photo IMG_4459_zpsdynkv2kq.jpg

photo IMG_4460_zps5bozq7sd.jpg

These ladies put together all the breakfast tacos for us photo IMG_4463_zpspgrgfnmb.jpg

Enjoying a cold one post-race

photo IMG_4464_zpspfuuqgwt.jpg

photo IMG_4468_zps1sxo8fy1.jpg

photo IMG_4469_zpsbmk40esv.jpg

photo IMG_4471_zps61df0wzw.jpg

photo IMG_4465_zpscbzw4quf.jpg

photo IMG_4466_zpsxav1q9ya.jpg

photo IMG_4467_zpswldotglw.jpg

photo IMG_4473_zpsidjpfnau.jpg

photo IMG_4474_zpsrzukm1qb.jpg

photo IMG_4475_zps1qu0ucvz.jpg

photo IMG_4476_zpshlh6nk0o.jpg

photo IMG_4477_zpseisgwytx.jpg

Oops, for some reason I could not rotate this photo. Maybe I accidentally had it on protected mode.  Anyway...nice lady with nice doggie

photo IMG_4462_zpspddyfs85.jpg

Bernadette placed as usual.  I think this was her 60th race of the year.  And at this race she sported a nice black eye from when she fell in last week's race and hit some rocks.

photo IMG_4478_zps4dbrjzg0.jpg

EPILOGUE

Nicely done event.  I don’t recall if this was an inaugural event but if so it was well organized.  I did not see any ‘glitches’ occurring in this one.  Everything started right on time, nice course, and some post-race goodies including several types of breakfast tacos, bottled water, sports drinks, cold beer, and various fruits and other goodies, including sliced watermelon.   Nice quality cotton tee race shirt. This is the first time I’ve ever done this one – I guess first time for everyone if it’s an inaugural event, lol – and I certainly would do this one again and recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all who made this event happen:  Runbar, iaapweb, all the sponsors and volunteers, police officers out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thanks for doing what you do so we participants can have an event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt