Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies 12/27 (Read 37 times)

Cyberic

I wear a 9 in regular shoes and 10.5 running shoe. The marathon I did was on a rail trail with a 1% grade. Doesn't seem like much, but I wound up with 4 blistered toes and 2 bruised toenails from roughly 12 miles running slightly downhill.

Damn. Do you get bruised toes often? Or was it only that one single time, because of the slight downhill?

Half Crazy K 2.0

Damn. Do you get bruised toes often? Or was it only that one single time, because of the slight downhill?

That's the only time my toenails bruised. I wound up with some blisters after a 10 miler on the same rail trail, but that race was during an excessive heat warning and my shoes (and all clothing) was soaked to the point where I probably would have been less drenched had I jumped in the river.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Might be better than flat, don't you think?

I am reticent to view downhill course as better than flat.  They tend to be a bit misleading. But it looks very nice.

Ran 2 solo and 5 with hubby.  It wasn't horrible outside.  Just 79F.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I never hurt a toenail in all my running. I wear size 12 in everyday shoes, and buy size 13 running shoes. Maybe that's why?

I have never had a toenail issue and I wear 8 in regular and 9.50 in running so you might be right.  But hubby wears the same sizes as you and have had issues.

Damaris

onemile

I never hurt a toenail in all my running. I wear size 12 in everyday shoes, and buy size 13 running shoes. Maybe that's why?

No. I wear an 8 in everyday shoes and a 9 in running shoes and have several black toenails

onemile

I am reticent to view downhill course as better than flat.  They tend to be a bit misleading. But it looks very nice.

Ran 2 solo and 5 with hubby.  It wasn't horrible outside.  Just 79F.

Net downhill, sure. But if it's on a rail trail, those usually have 1-2% grades rather than any actual hills. I have run on the Train Du Nord by Mont Tremblant and it was like that.

LRB

I have several black toenails

Wearing that emblazoned on a shirt would be a good way to rid yourself of unwanted advances while out with the girls, while having the opposite effect at a race expo.

No more marathons

I have not run it, and hear it's pretty tough. Not a PR course. If I decide to continue running but let go of improving my times, then I'd definitely consider it. But not now.

I'm not sure what would be tough about it.  Other than going over the bridge at mile 17 it runs along the Saint Lawrence River, so it's mostly flat.  The last 8 miles do run on a multi lane highway - so no shade.

The tough part for me in 2012 was simply the heat - it was about 87 in the shade, and like I said above, there was no shade.  There were people dropping along the road in great numbers in the final 10K.  Good thing the road was wide for all the ambulances.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Net downhill, sure. But if it's on a rail trail, those usually have 1-2% grades rather than any actual hills. I have run on the Train Du Nord by Mont Tremblant and it was like that.

Yeah, I read that part afterwards.  A rail trail should be flat.  We had a stretch at NOLA that was similar.  Sounds nice, especially the softer surface.

Damaris

DavePNW

All that coach talk today has me wondering, too. What is it now? Almost half of the dailies regulars are being actively coached?

<--- still holding out.

Dave

onemile

<--- still holding out.

Going with Pfitz again for your spring marathon?

DavePNW

My toenails have so far escaped unscathed; I also wear 1-1.5 sizes up, but I think most people do that. I always assumed it's more some function of anatomy and gait, people are just inherently more or less susceptible to it.

Dave

LRB

<--- still holding out.

And with good reason, you're killing it.

LRB

I didn't have an issue with black or lost toenails until Boston. Up until then, I could cut through steel bars in Alcatraz with these Ginsu blades!

DavePNW

Going with Pfitz again for your spring marathon?

Haven't made any firm plans that far ahead, but probably, out of inertia if nothing else. It would likely be 12 rather than 18 weeks, because FTS.

Dave