Beginners and Beyond

Sleep-in or Up and At 'Em SaturDAILIES (Read 23 times)

Cyberic

I've had PT prescribed on several occasions. In only one did it not seem effective, but I was never able to get a definitive diagnosis that time either despite seeing competent doctors, having an MRI and going through other tests as well.  Oddly it seemed to heal itself after I stopped formal PT but continued a couple exercises that I thought had helped a little.

6 hours running in the heat. It was a nice 73 when I started at 7:00 am, but by the time I finished at 1:00 pm it was upper 80s.  Ran 23+ miles including a lot of walking when the heat and sun hit.

6 hours! Great job!

I've had PT prescribed on several occasions. In only one did it not seem effective, but I was never able to get a definitive diagnosis that time either despite seeing competent doctors, having an MRI and going through other tests as well.  Oddly it seemed to heal itself after I stopped formal PT but continued a couple exercises that I thought had helped a little.

PT has failed me twice, first time 18 years ago when I had chronic right hip bursitis, it took me two year to final figure it out and another year to fix it.

More recently it was chronic left elbow tendinitis... I finally figured out what was maintaining it was driving with my left hand and often resting my left elbow on the car door while driving; it was the road vibration.  It comes back now and then if I revert to driving with left hand only.

RunningOnSand

I've found the one legged frog pose (it's a yoga movement) to be effective and convenient because you can do it while sleeping.

Ooh good idea.

RunningOnSand

I've found PT treatment helpful when it involves dry needling/graston or chiropractic adjustment but not when it's an evaluation of your running gait, muscle imbalances, prescribed strengthening or stretching exercises etc.

+1.

I've had PT where it's been a total waste, too, though. I think the key is to finding a good PT.

RunningOnSand

13 with RP at 6am,  should have done 530am. Super humid. Had 6 mi progression MP to HMP which I almost bailed on 265 times. RP kept me on it. Of course I get home and see on Strava that my Coach bailed on her workout this morning due to the weather so maybe I should have.  Oh well, it's done. More importantly,  zero chafing.

Nice job getting it done! Running in the heat, even "easy" miles, is awful. Adding in pace miles just adds to the awfulness.

RunningOnSand

Seems like a lot of people have, Baboon most recently. I believe he reported it to be significantly more painful than the injury itself, but effective.

I am glad everyone else seems to have positive PT experiences. Mine have all felt like a waste of time and money.

It was definitely jarring. My palms were sweating.  My PT also did something like tens therapy (?) on the needles while they were in my muscles. That was weird, although strangely not super painful. Glad Baboon is having relief from it!

RunningOnSand

For me, the PT was only necessary when I didn't know what was wrong, or couldn't figure out how to fix what was wrong. In both cases, once you figure it out or have a handle on the injury, it's deuces (slang for peace out).

I did spend 4 months one summer working on strength training with a PT. That was an invaluable experience. I learned a lot and my body benefited from those sessions. But that's not something that's required.

It sounds like you had a really good PT.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You also have to tell the PT when you begin that you are a runner and an athlete (and how much you run).  Otherwise, they will start you at the level they start the old people and people that are couch potatoes.  That is important to know so they can prescribe the right exercises and treatment.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

You also have to tell the PT when you begin that you are a runner and an athlete (and how much you run).  Otherwise, they will start you at the level they start the old people and people that are couch potatoes.  That is important to know so they can prescribe the right exercises and treatment.

Agreed!

LRB

It sounds like you had a really good PT.

Nicole was awesome. She could spot an imbalance from the other side of the beach. But I suppose any good PT could. The thing of it is is that you have to bring something to the table too. PTs do not have a crystal ball. They are not with you when you're running or at work or driving so a lot of times, you have to be the one to figure out what it is you're doing that's causing the problem. Is it the way you're swinging your arms, is it the way you turn your foot on the follow through, is it your favorite chair, your bed, the way you sit at the table or the way you step in and out of the shower. There's more to it than just showing up and saying I have a marathon in 6 weeks, fix me. Not that anyone here does that but there are those who do.

LRB

You also have to tell the PT when you begin that you are a runner and an athlete (and how much you run).

I'm pretty sure they'd rather stick a sock in my mouth what with how much I talk about running.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lol.

Damaris